Sorry to ask... 16a or 32a cable?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerxp

I'm sure this has been covered many many times but struggling to find the answer to my exact question...

I've just got my wife a 2018 PHEV Outlander, installed a 7kw Pod Point charger on the wall, but need a type 1/type 2 cable to charge when out and about having just received by CYC card.

I went with the 7kw charger at home to futureproof myself a little and wondering whether to use the same rational for the new cable.

Am I right in thinking a 16a type 1/type 2 is perfectly adequate for the Outlander? If so, would a 32a cable also be perfectly fine too? My thinking is, whilst dipping my hand in my pocket, what not futureproof myself for the relatively small additional outlay for a 32a cable, it will hopefully last into the next car(s).

Maybe things are moving along too quickly to keep up i.e. will type 1 be largely redundant by the time we replace the car in 2 years time and therefore a 16a cable is totally fine?

Thinking of a coiled cable - any comments on these from experience?

Thanks in advance (and apologies if these topics have been covered before)

I think you covered most of the arguments. Up to you to decide.

One thing can be added: a 16 amp cable may be easier to handle, as it will be thinner / less sturdy.

Hi
I recently had a 7kw Pod Point installed & went for the 32a cable. The cost difference was minimal & it works well for me.
I decided not to go for the coiled type, mine stores neatly in it's own bag in the side pockets in the boot.
All a matter of personal preference.

Thanks for the responses.

Glad my understanding was correct anyway!

I've ordered a 10m coiled 16a cable in the end. There does seem some resistance against coiled cables (due to tangling/damage) but willing to take a punt on one and see how it goes - I like the idea the cable doesn't necessarily lie on the ground whilst charging (depending on distance of course) helping to keep it relatively clean - will see if this is the case in reality. I also opted for the 16a cable mainly due to it being more flexible and light - might lead to less moaning from the missus ;)

Ultimately, I suspect type 1 will be banished to history by the time the car is replaced (minimum of 2 years), maybe not quite that dramatic but type 2 is already being favoured over type 1 on most new cars being built today as I understand it, so this cable may well be useless too. At least as a lighter 16a cable it'll be easier for the kids to use as a skipping rope or tied each other up with!!!

Now just need to rack up the mileage to offset the cost of the CYC card and damn cable!!!!

Back