Charhing with extension cables?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulRB

I was given dire warnings by my dealer about not using extension cables to charge the phev.

Surely there must be extension cables available with suitable heavy guage cable, plug and socket to cope with the high current needed safely.

Can anyone suggest / advise please? 10m would be enough.

PaulRB said:
I was given dire warnings by my dealer about not using extension cables to charge the phev.

Surely there must be extension cables available with suitable heavy guage cable, plug and socket to cope with the high current needed safely.

Can anyone suggest / advise please? 10m would be enough.
Hi PaulRB,
I use an extension cable every time I charge.
Note I live in Australia where the normal house amp is 10 amp. I had a separate electrical line installed, rated at 20 amps, along with the standard Australian 15 amp plug. I call this plug the caravan plug and it is sized so that a standard 10 amp will not fit. It is this 15 amp plug that is on the Outlander charger. I bought a 10 meter 15 amp extension lead. I have not had any problem using the lead. I also have bought a 10 to 15 amp connection box, where I can plug the Outlander's 15 amp plug into and then plug the other 10 amp end into a standard 10 amp point. I use this when I visit my friends :) who only have the 10 amp point.
Charge times using my 15 amp setup is about 3.5 to 4 hours for a full charge.
I guess the 'dire warnings from your dealer about not using extension cables' were made so people do not use an under rated cord for the charger. This can be fair enough, better safe than sorry.
I always remember a warning sign about electricity. 'Beware Electricity. It can kill you. And while you are dying, it hurts.'
Goldie

Thanks Goldie, but I guess I should have asked for responses from UK users on this one! I would like to find a suitable 13A extension, preferably with a weatherproof (ip65?) trailing socket.

The switch box supplied with the car limits the charging current to 10A, so you can get away with a 3x1.5 extension cord and a standard plug, provided you do not have so much stuff running that yo trip the central fuse. It does not draw more than many household appliances. Warning against extension cords is liability shifting. The user manual is full of such dire warnings. Did you get such warnings with your toaster?

Some previous discussion here: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=326
Hope those using the extension leads haven't met with a fiery accident.... :lol:

Like Goldie, I too use an extension cord every time I charge. It's mainly be sue my electrician hasn't been around to change my plug socket to a 15 amp just yet, so I've got my caravan lead which also incorporate a 15amp to 10 amp convertor as well.

Probably do no use to you whatsoever, other than in Australia we are hard core and if or ethe warning labels!

Back