Timer scheduling of cool / heat - why does it work this way?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iPeel

Hi,

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before - I can't find a specific thread.

One of the benefits of the Outlander when I researched them was the ability to schedule the car to be at the right temperature for my morning and evening commute, as the garage is strictly reserved for the wife's car, mine is stuck out on the driveway which faces the morning sun in summer and is open to the elements in winter. It's a similar story at work where in the middle of summer the car takes a good few miles to cool down and in winter often doesn't heat up properly until I'm half way home.

The problem is that the implementation of the climate scheduling appears to need you to tell it whether to cool or heat in advance and doesn't take into account the temperature inside the vehicle. Why does scheduling of heat and cool work this way? It seems a bit of a curious approach. I appreciate that heating and cooling in this mode are all or nothing but at least there could have been a decision at the start of the schedule as to whether to cool or heat based on a pre-defined temperature at the time the schedule kicks in rather than you have to say "cool" or "heat" specifically.

Am I getting something wrong with the translation of the app to English and it does actually work based on temperature, or maybe are there workarounds / hacks that make it either heat or cool based on the temperature of the vehicle? I know there's the remote hack which I've tried and as my outlander is a MY2017 this doesn't do anything.

It seems to me that there becomes a point in the year where you stop asking the car to cool and change it to heat based on seasonal temperatures, especially with the varied UK weather I wouldn't know when to make that decision.

Thanks,

Neil.

Our PHEV, can just Cool, Heat and Defrost the car, for 10 (20 or 30 via Mobile App only)

The PHEV firmware is dummy, so it has no idea what is the outside temperature, nor care to reach a desire temperature .. instead it runs at full power for the configured time (only 10min in case of MMCS setting)

Cool .. it means it run AC ... good in summer
Heat .. it warm up the car, without using AC ... I can't find any usage of it ... since car is warm but with foggy windows
Defrost ... it run heat and AC .. this is perfect in winter for precondition the cabin (10min is good for rise 6 or 7 deg cabin temperature .. when outside temperature is below -10 I need at least 20min pre heating for avoid to remove ice from the front window)

In some days of the year I would like to have Defrost in morning, and Cooling in the afternoon .. but ... since I only keep one setting in my car ... I can't do it.

I'm using the key fob hack .. so by a double click on the key, inside 40 meter range ... I can start cabin precondition ... comfortable for activate 10min before my drive from my home or my office desk

Like in your case ... my PHEV is sitting always outdoor ... the garage is busy with one tractor/lawnmower , some e-bikes, and a lot of mess

Please could someone confirm whether it's possible to have more than one Timer period set (for heating/cooling/windscreen), on a particular day.
Currently I have Timer 1 come on at 4.50am for 10 mins, but would like Timer 2 to come on again at 8.20am for the school run on the same day.
At the moment it seems to be a choice of one or the other, but not both.
Thanks!

SunnySuffolk said:
Please could someone confirm whether it's possible to have more than one Timer period set (for heating/cooling/windscreen), on a particular day.
Currently I have Timer 1 come on at 4.50am for 10 mins, but would like Timer 2 to come on again at 8.20am for the school run on the same day.
At the moment it seems to be a choice of one or the other, but not both.
Thanks!

MMCS and WifI Apps, allows only one timer per day ... total 3 different timers that could be assigned to any of the week days

I'm not really using this ... better it is to hack the keyfob, and use the double click for start the cabin climate in the car 10min or 20min before starting the trip

Yes, it requires that the car is not more far then 20/30 meters from "home", and to remember in time to click before start the next trip

Thanks elm70.
Just to clarify, when you wrote "better [it] is to hack the keyfob" is that using a conventional function or or you indicating that I do something to the keyfob itself? Please could you elaborate how this work. Like others I find the User manual quite impenetrable to understand!

SunnySuffolk said:
Thanks elm70.
Just to clarify, when you wrote "better [it] is to hack the keyfob" is that using a conventional function or or you indicating that I do something to the keyfob itself? Please could you elaborate how this work. Like others I find the User manual quite impenetrable to understand!

I would really like to do this to my key fob too if poss on a MY2014.

SunnySuffolk said:
Thanks elm70.

Here you find all the info for the keyfob hack:
http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2118

Back