'Polishing' damage to paint

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightPHEVer

Forres, Scotland, UK. 2014 GX4h with clear rear li
My GX4h PHEV is finished in plain white, none-metallic paint. Despite the fact that it only had 3000 miles on it when I bought it from a main dealer, the bonnet has polishing machine marks on it - caused no doubt by an over enthusiatic 'valeter' who clearly shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a polishing machine. I suspect the bonnet wasn't cleaned properly before the polisher was applied or there was contamination either on the polishing mop, or in the polish. According to YouTube it requires a level of determined ham-fistery to damage paint with a polishing device.

I've tried to polish out these marks by hand with T-Cut (and a posh Zymol version of T-Cut) but it's made no difference at all to the marks. The marks can only be seen when the light catches the paint but they don't half bother me. The marks can't be felt with finger touch.

Does anyone know if PHEV plain paint options have a 'clear coat' applied on top of the colour, or is the paint a two-part acrylic mix without a clear coat. It would seem that metallic - for obvious reasons- always has a clear coat applied to finish, but plain colours (to save time and money) don't always. If it doesn't have a clear coat then I can try using a polishing machine myself to remove, or at least improve, the appearance of the marks. But if there is a clear coat then I'd need to be very careful not to polish through the clear coat into the actual colour underneath. The paint on my PHEV doesn't appear to be very liberally applied.

Back