Thule Roofbar Question - again ;)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerxp

Could I please check what you think about the grip on the attached photos. I've lifted my bars directly from our old Touareg, where the 'feet' properly gripped the roof bars on the car, but on the Outlander, where the bars are more integrated with the roof, it seems to be holding on my it's fingertips!!

I'm trying to work out whether, when both sides are connected tightly, whether the grip will be sufficient to carry bikes?

I'm not sure of the specific reference numbers of my kit but I'm sure some will recognise it.

If you don't think this grip is good enough (which is my suspicion) then could you recommend what's needed.

Cheers.

Roger

Attachments

• Thule 01.jpg
    Thule 01.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Thule 02.jpg
    Thule 02.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 136
Hi Roger.

Your pictures show the standard Mitsubishi Outlander flush rails.
Those roof bars of yours look like they will fall off very easily.

Here's mine with the Thule 4030 mounting kit, 753 footpack & the 769 steel bars.
20180906_122454SMALL.jpg

those bars are for the raised sort of roof rail like this..

Roof_Rail_Cross_Bars_large.jpg

not the integrated rails like on the PHEV, you need a different sort for those, I had to replace my bars when I moved my topbox from a Kia to the PHEV, fortunately it also fits our Hyundai which also has integrated rails.

You can't use yours, it looks deadly!

I have some basic Farad steel ones, carries a big loaded topbox easily.

https://www.driveden.com/exterior-a...-roof-rails-suv-steel-square-roof-bars-p95127

Thank you for the replies. I knew there were different feet but couldn't work out which ones were suitable. Plus I'd forgotten about the fixing kit!!

I'll get the matching Thule items I think.

Thanks.

MrPastry said:
Hi Roger.
Your pictures show the standard Mitsubishi Outlander flush rails.
Those roof bars of yours look like they will fall off very easily.

Thread revival!

I’ve finally got round to getting the 4030 / 753 combo for my aero bars and have a couple of questions...

1) this might sound daft but I presume I keep the screw on the inside of the foot nice and loose and only tighten when in position on the car? I’ve tightened them right up when building so couldn’t work out for ages where the ‘give’ came from to get it only the roof rail!!

2) unlike the previous feet that I was issuing with the Tourareg (picture above) these 753 feet don’t fix to the bar so whilst not on the car slide up and down freely. Will these tighten up when on the car or am I missing something? Some images look like there are spacers available for certain bars but I don’t seem to have any for these aero bars (or they’ve been misplaced).

Any thoughts from those with similar set-ups would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You are correct.

When not on the car the feet slide up and down the bar freely. When you locate the feet on the rails, centralise the bars and tighten the locking bolt - everything is the gripped and locked in place.

...update - YouTube to the rescue!! Now realise it’s built in situ (the instructions are truly awful - I really struggled to make sense of them) BUT still a little concerned about sideways movement as I don’t seem to have any of the ‘strips’ that are illustrated with the Wingbar (the closest likeness to my Aerobars). The missus keeps vanishing with her car so not put them on yet but do you think whole set-up will firm up nicely when in position (I can’t image it going far with 4x bike rack firmly attached to it!). Any thoughts welcomed.

Back