Sat Nav. Is it just me?...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isablu

So, the sat nav. Possibly the most intimidating voice I’ve ever heard on a sat nav. Now, I love my PHEV, but if I could change one thing, it’d be that voice. That school headmistress, ordering me this way and that. It was a minor irritation for a while, until my hubby made an innocent remark that sent shivers down my spine and has haunted me ever since. That simple, innocent remark? ‘She sounds like Teresa May’...

So, sorry guys. Next time she’s telling you to take the exit in 200 yards, or to take the third exit of the roundabout, you too will think of Teresa May. But I’m not apologising. If I have to suffer, you can too!

I call her "Frau Phev", the sat-nav that is not Theresa May :shock:

Reminds me of my old German teacher from school, again the sat-nav not Theresa May :shock:

Yes I love my PHEV too but the one thing I would change would be the whole sat nav. I think it's basically useless! Yes, it will get you to your destination but have you ever really examined how it's doing so? Some of the routing leaves a lot to be desired and I think my 7 year old grandsons could do better using a map! I ran it in tandem for about a month, alongside my trusty Tom Tom and the PHEV sat nav was laughable at times and I was never able to determine why on earth it wanted to route me the way it did at times. I still have my trusty 2004 Honda CRV and the sat nav in that knocks spots off the PHEV's lame excuse. We now never use the PHEV sat nav and have our Tom Tom permanently perched on the dash, which is a real shame.

Apart from that I love our PHEV. Best car we've had in years.

Isablu said:
So, the sat nav. Possibly the most intimidating voice I’ve ever heard on a sat nav. Now, I love my PHEV, but if I could change one thing, it’d be that voice. That school headmistress, ordering me this way and that. It was a minor irritation for a while, until my hubby made an innocent remark that sent shivers down my spine and has haunted me ever since. That simple, innocent remark? ‘She sounds like Teresa May’...

So, sorry guys. Next time she’s telling you to take the exit in 200 yards, or to take the third exit of the roundabout, you too will think of Teresa May. But I’m not apologising. If I have to suffer, you can too!
Just switch to French :p

BTW, to annoy my wife, I switched her TomTom to John Cleese. :mrgreen:

OnCourse said:
Yes I love my PHEV too but the one thing I would change would be the whole sat nav. I think it's basically useless! Yes, it will get you to your destination but have you ever really examined how it's doing so? Some of the routing leaves a lot to be desired and I think my 7 year old grandsons could do better using a map! I ran it in tandem for about a month, alongside my trusty Tom Tom and the PHEV sat nav was laughable at times and I was never able to determine why on earth it wanted to route me the way it did at times. I still have my trusty 2004 Honda CRV and the sat nav in that knocks spots off the PHEV's lame excuse. We now never use the PHEV sat nav and have our Tom Tom permanently perched on the dash, which is a real shame.

Apart from that I love our PHEV. Best car we've had in years.

Quite a few car brands to avoid then - the underlying algorithms and maps are by NavTeq, which supplies the majority of the car industry.

BTW, it is quite a bit better than the Jaguar I had before this car, which was completely useless in the UK (!) and managed to get itself into ever deceasing circles without finding the way out from time to time. At least this one gets you there.

I don't like that I have to admit I'm completely stupid and promise on my father's grave I wont try to set a destination on the GPS unless I'm stopped off the road with the car in park, handbrake firmly applied and the wheels chocked. Stupid thing is everything is locked when not in park anyway.

No other GPS I've ever owned treats me like a moron.

Also why cant my passenger set a destination? If the seatbelt sensor can tell there is a passenger in the front seat and nag them to do up their seatbelt, why cant it tell the GPS so the missus can set and change destination?

While driving down to London to drop off DD1 at Uni, she said she thought she recognised the voice. Turns out, it sounds like Theresa May. No wonder it's p***ing so many people off!

OnCourse said:
Yes I love my PHEV too but the one thing I would change would be the whole sat nav. I think it's basically useless! Yes, it will get you to your destination but have you ever really examined how it's doing so? Some of the routing leaves a lot to be desired .../quote]

The SatNat follows the routes it is instructed to follow.

I'd suggest you have a look at the settings to see which of the instructions, that have been set, you don't like.

Just picked up my 2018 SEL. No nav built in, but it does have GPS receivers. Anyone been able to make use of them with an Android phone? Is it possible to set the phone to use them?

Cheers!

You'd need some kind of interface between GPS and phone, and an Android app that could make use of mock locations to facilitate it. There may be a dedicated interface, but in all likelihood it would only be worthwhile if you were doing it as part of an ICE overhaul (as in In-Car Entertainment, not Internal Combustion Engine!)

I do exactly the latter on mine, and my phone uses the car's GPS for all location-based services.

bbb

bigbaldbloke said:
I do exactly the latter on mine, and my phone uses the car's GPS for all location-based services.

Hi, very interesting! Would you tell us more about your setup?

Back