New UK owner - thoughts after 500 miles

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobiman

Been reading (and benefiting) from this forum for a month or so. Seemed a good time to contribute!
I've had a Pearl White GX4H for just over a month. I ordered it straight after reading an AutoExpress review at Easter (without a test drive although did extensive research) and so far I am very happy.
A few thoughts -
1. Despite its SUV status, this car really is optimised for those with a short regular commute/school run AND the ability to charge regularly - which for the majority means driveway or garage parking (or guaranteed access to a charge point). For people who don't meet both those criteria, there are better choices .I use mine in London for which it is a great vehicle being large enough to carry kit and not be bullied by white van man or cabs but not too large to struggle on side streets or with parking. The car it replaced was a Kia Picanto which despite high headline mpg figures never got above 30 in town, was too small and seemed to attract bullying road users like flies.
2. Drove it on a 300 mile trip at weekend - first time outside London . Obviously a brand new engine but ignoring the electric contribution, it does 31-32 mpg at a typical 80-90 UK cruise which was broadly what I would expect and am happy with. Clearly a 2 litre engine is simply moving a 1.8 ton truck! In my view it is (just) fast enough for good progress in the UK although I'm not sure I'd want to be driving it on the continent where motorway speeds are higher as it just lacks that extra reserve of power.
3. As others have commented, the info system and nav is not the most intuitive but it broadly works. It does take a few seconds to boot up on starting.
4. It isn't Audi level style and quality inside but robust and functional and looks to be hard-wearing.
5. I quite like the bland styling (particularly in UN white) as it doesn't stand out and unlikely to be high up a car thief's wish list.
All in all, it is doing everything I expected so far.

gobiman said:
Clearly a 2 litre engine is simply moving a 1.8 ton truck! In my view it is (just) fast enough for good progress in the UK although I'm not sure I'd want to be driving it on the continent where motorway speeds are higher as it just lacks that extra reserve of power.
You couldn't be more wrong. I have done thousands of Autobahn kms and I can assure you that pushing the accelerator down results in quite impressive acceleration, right up to the maximized top speed of 170 KpH
205 HP and 332 Nm of torque (more important!) delivered in a linear fashion by the electric/combined drive are surprisingly powerful.
Lack of power is a complaint that is new to me.

I stand corrected and that is good to hear!
I'm also spoilt in that my other two cars are both large V8s (Mercedes and BMW).
I was a bit nervous of pushing it given it is new but will certainly floor it to test the limits next time I'm out.

Well, yes, there is a difference between an high-power Autobahn cruiser and a SUV. It will not propel you at 250, true and the most pleasant speed is between 140 and 150, but still plenty of reserve.

gobiman said:
I stand corrected and that is good to hear!
I'm also spoilt in that my other two cars are both large V8s (Mercedes and BMW).
I was a bit nervous of pushing it given it is new but will certainly floor it to test the limits next time I'm out.

After just completing a 700k round trip today in my PHEV, I would like to back the OP's comments up about lack of power. I'm coming from a Mazda CX7, and quite frankly while adequate, I wouldn't say it's great. It will keep up with traffic on dual lane carriageways, but as for single lanes, that is a different kettle of fish. We have 110k speed limit here in Australia, and for overtaking on the wrong side of the road - as far as I'm concerned anyway - is something that needs to be thought about beforehand. Trust me gobiman, I explored the whole limits of the acceleration too. After the electric has finished, it certainly is left wanting too... And we won't even begin to talk about the 9l/100 I got consistently over 2 tanks...

Did you get into Turtle Mode?
Otherwise there is no difference.
For overtaking you can switch to Charge anticipating and minimise the startup lag of the ICE kicking in.

I have found there to be quite adequate acceleration for swift overtaking when needed (even when fully laden with family and luggage) - I generally stick it in charge to get the ice ready as recommended by a poster a while ago. It is a big heavy car and I suppose you can't expect it to behave like a slick sports car and it probably depends what you are used to. I have also driven it in Europe on the autobahn with no worries.
H

jaapv said:
Did you get into Turtle Mode?
Otherwise there is no difference.
For overtaking you can switch to Charge anticipating and minimise the startup lag of the ICE kicking in.

No, no turtle mode, I guess I'm maybe being a bit more expecting of it, but I'd say it was a bit slow? The suggestion about Charge I have to keep in mind, that would help for sure, just the same as when needing a quick takeoff from the lights I suppose?

Well, that is not really the optimum driving style for this car. One cannot expect a near-two ton SUV to behave like a Morgan Plus Eight...
What it will provide, though, is a near-linear acceleration all the way up to the 170 limit and a surprisingly stable road holding due to the low centre of gravity, the combination making it an effective long distance cruiser, only let down by the relatively small tank.
Quite at odds with the concept of a economical urban commuter. Really a car with two faces.
Three rather, because the 4WD capability, especially in snowy and muddy conditions, is second to none. A bit low for serious off-roading, though. For that I would prefer a Defender any day ;)

jaapv said:
Well, that is not really the optimum driving style for this car. One cannot expect a near-two ton SUV to behave like a Morgan Plus Eight...
What it will provide, though, is a near-linear acceleration all the way up to the 170 limit and a surprisingly stable road holding due to the low centre of gravity, the combination making it an effective long distance cruiser, only let down by the relatively small tank.
Quite at odds with the concept of a economical urban commuter. Really a car with two faces.
Three rather, because the 4WD capability, especially in snowy and muddy conditions, is second to none. A bit low for serious off-roading, though. For that I would prefer a Defender any day ;)

Lol... Wasn't expecting a Morgan, more of a Camry equivalent I guess.

I'm actually surprised by how stiff the suspension is, but I assume it will settle down over time?

I was actually surprised by how low the exhaust is personally. That just begging to be snagged on something.

Back