Old SatNav in new model?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tipper

I'm thinking about upgrading to a newer model from my 2015 first generation PHEV.

I note that the latest cars don't have the built-in SatNav. As I live out in the sticks down 'yer in Devon I find that mobile phone reception is often poor. I can't even get a good mobile connection at my home!

What happens to mobile phone based SatNav when there is no data connection or you lose it whilst on the road?

Also, can a new PHEV be specified with a built-in SatNav?

Which leads me to, can I retro-fit an older SatNav to a newer car?

Thanks for you thoughts.

I wonder how I ever managed to drive anywhere during the 50 years I didn't have a SatNav :lol:

I would have thought if you really need one for your day to day driving in rural Devon (of course, the built in one should work OK when you visit civilisation) then surely buying a stand alone is a better option than trying to retro fit an old unit.

The Apple Maps Satnav is shite without mobile reception. I think if u use Google maps you can download areas of the map beforehand and then u dont need mobile signal to use google maps

greendwarf said:
I wonder how I ever managed to drive anywhere during the 50 years I didn't have a SatNav :lol:

I would have thought if you really need one for your day to day driving in rural Devon (of course, the built in one should work OK when you visit civilisation) then surely buying a stand alone is a better option than trying to retro fit an old unit.

I can confirm that both the old fashioned built-in PHEV SatNav and my Tom Tom work well all across Devon, both in and out of civilisation.
However my point really is...why do I have to have a mobile phone based system which a: may not work properly and b: costs me a large data package which I don't have and don't want!

Frankly it's putting me off a replacement PHEV.

Tipper said:
greendwarf said:

I can confirm that both the old fashioned built-in PHEV SatNav and my Tom Tom work well all across Devon, both in and out of civilisation.
However my point really is...why do I have to have a mobile phone based system which a: may not work properly and b: costs me a large data package which I don't have and don't want!

As mentioned already you can download Google Maps to be used offline so no Data usage. Sat Nav on phone is so much better than inbuilt systems which are slow and clunky..

Never had that many cars with factory Nav but have had some, most recently a 2014 Volvo V70 with factory Nav. This system was good enough but by no means superb.

Never had a car with Apple Car Play until I got the 2019 Outlander - using this with Waze is as good as any factory Nav I have ever used, including supposed 'flagship' systems from Audi or BMW, so I can't get to grips with the philosophy that the lack of factory Nav on the Outlander is a problem.

Each to his own I guess.

I have the old Sat Nav unit in my '16, it is junk, we tried to use it, now we use Waze on our Android on a dashmount.

I am on a pay as you go phone, the amount of data used is minimal as the maps are downloaded/updated via WiFi.

cornclose said:
I can't get to grips with the philosophy that the lack of factory Nav on the Outlander is a problem.
I don't think you'll find many arguing that the Mitsi built-in system is superior (it isn't!) - but some appear to be worried that they'll increase their mobile phone bill. Which may be true, but the cost should be significantly less than the charge for updating the in-car system every year. (If it isn't, you should be looking for a new mobile contract!) FWIW I find that a 200 mile trip pulls down about 10/20MB for Google maps, and as others have pointed out Google (Apple may do this as well, but I don't know) allows you to preload trips over WiFi.

ChrisMiller said:
cornclose said:
I can't get to grips with the philosophy that the lack of factory Nav on the Outlander is a problem.
I don't think you'll find many arguing that the Mitsi built-in system is superior (it isn't!) - but some appear to be worried that they'll increase their mobile phone bill. Which may be true, but the cost should be significantly less than the charge for updating the in-car system every year. (If it isn't, you should be looking for a new mobile contract!) FWIW I find that a 200 mile trip pulls down about 10/20MB for Google maps, and as others have pointed out Google (Apple may do this as well, but I don't know) allows you to preload trips over WiFi.

I have both, and yes iPhone can pre-download maps as well via the native app. Or just install Google Maps on the iPhone ...

Tipper said:
...why do I have to have a mobile phone based system which a: may not work properly and b: costs me a large data package which I don't have and don't want!

and c:
... will tell the big data collector all details about your car and your driving style.

Using Maps on an iPhone won't pass any data to Apple to be stored, but you can't cache maps (?yet). If you use Google Maps, you can cache any area you choose beforehand, and so not use any data while on the move, so you could actually turn off data and it would work (without traffic), if you're worried about sending Google data

ThudnBlundr said:
Using Maps on an iPhone won't pass any data to Apple to be stored, but you can't cache maps (?yet). If you use Google Maps, you can cache any area you choose beforehand, and so not use any data while on the move, so you could actually turn off data and it would work (without traffic), if you're worried about sending Google data

Carplay now allows Waze and Google Maps so will pass date to google still - so using an iPhone doesn't prevent this. If it worries you that us.

bounderboy said:
ThudnBlundr said:

Carplay now allows Waze and Google Maps so will pass date to google still - so using an iPhone doesn't prevent this. If it worries you that us.
As I said in my post, you can cache (download) maps and then turn off data if that worries you.

ThudnBlundr said:
bounderboy said:
ThudnBlundr said:

As I said in my post, you can cache (download) maps and then turn off data if that worries you.

Sorry I thought you were saying from a privacy point of view.

Back