Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Long Distance MPG
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:07 am 

mellobob wrote:
jaapv wrote:
Normally I would expect about 11 km/l on a long motorway trip. A heavy, not very well streamlined petrol car can never match a diesel motorway cruiser, not even close.

That seems to be quite high ... mind you it does depend a lot on your speed. I drive around the SE British Columbia and get around 8l/100km *opps, just noticed that you are using km per liter so we are close ... why oh why can't we all use the same damned system!). But, I was going to add that my speed is usually around 110km/h which is much less that the OPs 75Mile/hr.
IMHO, Jaapv is being a bit old-fashioned here. Took us a while to adopt, but most have abandoned km/l overhere as well ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:45 am 

It is the value that shows on my dashboard ;)

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:06 am 

jaapv wrote:
It is the value that shows on my dashboard ;)
Mine says 3.8 :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:45 pm 

Oh yes, or --- ;)

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:51 pm 

jaapv wrote:
Oh yes, or --- ;)
Mine doesn't do that. One of the advantages of the 21st century, I guess :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:11 pm 

I have a bit of information for road trips up and down the 101 in CA driving between 65-75 mph on average.

- With no charging on eco mode: 25 mpg

- No charging on normal mode driving same speed: 28 mpg

- Almost 1 full charge on normal mode: 33 mpg

- 1 Full charge on normal mode, but drove above 75-85 for a few stretches: 30 mpg

These were all calculated the old way, after using a full tank.

Has anyone else experienced worse gas mileage using eco mode than normal mode? I find that quite interesting. Also, I've read about some people experiencing more like 36mpg without charging more than once. Any ideas?

Another odd thing that I found which makes me disagree with some earlier posters by experience: I found that charging does actually affect your mileage more than your plug in range. Charging fully before a trip, operating in normal mode, seemed to add about 40 miles to your total range for one tank of gas (it was actually 30 in one test and a full 50 in another). This was the case even though the reported battery range was down to 0 after about 15 miles. It seems that if you operate in normal mode, the car saves about 30-40% of the battery capacity for use later on (as after the trips recharging it would only take about 7-8kWh.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:31 am 

I have found spritmonitor.de to be a good way to keep track of fuel economy. Here are my gas stats so far:
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/796230.html
And the prev. owner of my PHEV:
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/693081.html
/A

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:49 am 

AndWho wrote:
I have found spritmonitor.de to be a good way to keep track of fuel economy. Here are my gas stats so far:
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/796230.html
And the prev. owner of my PHEV:
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/693081.html
/A
Me too: https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/605377.html

I always find it interesting to see the difference in mileage during vacations and the rest of the year. Something to do with caravanning, I guess ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:14 pm 

bagofcole wrote:
I have a bit of information for road trips up and down the 101 in CA driving between 65-75 mph on average.

- With no charging on eco mode: 25 mpg

- No charging on normal mode driving same speed: 28 mpg

- Almost 1 full charge on normal mode: 33 mpg

- 1 Full charge on normal mode, but drove above 75-85 for a few stretches: 30 mpg

These were all calculated the old way, after using a full tank.

Has anyone else experienced worse gas mileage using eco mode than normal mode? I find that quite interesting. Also, I've read about some people experiencing more like 36mpg without charging more than once. Any ideas?

Another odd thing that I found which makes me disagree with some earlier posters by experience: I found that charging does actually affect your mileage more than your plug in range. Charging fully before a trip, operating in normal mode, seemed to add about 40 miles to your total range for one tank of gas (it was actually 30 in one test and a full 50 in another). This was the case even though the reported battery range was down to 0 after about 15 miles. It seems that if you operate in normal mode, the car saves about 30-40% of the battery capacity for use later on (as after the trips recharging it would only take about 7-8kWh.

However, on long, fast drives I run the car on Charge, just to have a bit of leeway when extra power demand occurs; like headwind, long climbs, a fast stretch, etc. It is subjective and I haven't measured it consistently, but I have the impression that it does not affect the average consumption significantly.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:21 am 

And why would it? As long as the higher average soc doesn't trigger you to drive faster, the amount of energy the drive system needs to put out to complete your trip is exactly the same.

So why would the amount of energy you need to put in to the drive system be significantly higher? Assuming you are smart enough not to arrive at your destination with a full battery?

TBH, I can think of one reason: driving around with a battery that is more than 65% full (50% on the gauge) has a small impact on the efficiency of the drive train. The fuller the battery, the bigger the impact. But the impact will be so small that it will be very hard to measure it. Especially when friving faster than EVmax.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next