Junpstarting FROM a PHEV?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerxp

After a few days away my car needs a jumpstart so want to use the wife’s PHEV. However, reading the manual it states the jumper terminal cannot be used to jumpstart another vehicle! Can’t understand why not but thought Id better ask on here first. Has anyone else used a PHEV to jumpstart another car, if so, what terminals did you use?

The PHEV does not have a 12 volt starter motor. The engine is started using the high voltage generator. As such, the 12 volt system is (most likely) not designed to deliver the amount of power needed to crank up an engine. I would never attempt to do so.

The other way around is no issue. It requires very, very little power to jump start a PHEV.

anko said:
The PHEV does not have a 12 volt starter motor. The engine is started using the high voltage generator. As such, the 12 volt system is (most likely) not designed to deliver the amount of power needed to crank up an engine. I would never attempt to do so.

The other way around is no issue. It requires very, very little power to jump start a PHEV.

Definitely the cabling shown for jump start the PHEV, can be used only for "jump start" the PHEV, but not for use the PHEV for jump start another car.

Still, the 12v battery in our PHEV is
Yuasa S46B24L(S) - 45Ah CCA - 325A

Which is big enough for jump start a small ICE, with the PHEV on, possibly even a mid size diesel could be started.

But, the cabling will need to be directly over the 12V battery terminal, which are not really in a convenient place, since the floor of the trunk would need to be removed

Thanks for the input. I presumed there was a ‘normal’ battery somewhere but didn’t know where! It’s my Maserati I’m trying to breathe life back into so need something with a mighty kick to get it started. I had the audacity to not use it for 4 days so it’s in a strop!! Awaiting RAC who can hopefully give me an analysis on the battery (it’s only 4 weeks old and refusing to be charged!)

rogerxp said:
Thanks for the input. I presumed there was a ‘normal’ battery somewhere but didn’t know where! It’s my Maserati I’m trying to breathe life back into so need something with a mighty kick to get it started. I had the audacity to not use it for 4 days so it’s in a strop!! Awaiting RAC who can hopefully give me an analysis on the battery (it’s only 4 weeks old and refusing to be charged!)

Have you looked at he Lithium ION battery starters. I was shocked that a relatively cheap small one could bring a VW T5 Van from the dead without a problem...?

You can also get a Start 'n Charge mains unit from the likes of Machine Mart. I've had one for years from when I had a 1951 Morris Minor that wasn't used very often.

bounderboy said:
Have you looked at he Lithium ION battery starters. I was shocked that a relatively cheap small one could bring a VW T5 Van from the dead without a problem...?

Deffo the way to go. I have one on permenant charge from the 12V socket in the back of the 4Work. Had several embarrassing moments when I was spending work days in the vehicle, ACC on using laptop and 4G, then finding that the piddling little 12V battery was not enough to fire up the system. A fully charged 300V drive battery, but nothing to get the computer going. :eek:

Now, should that happen again, I just deploy the portable battery and fire it up from that. The added bonus is that the same battery pack can be used to start other vehicles should they require it.

Back