Mark my homework - how many kw am I putting in

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillageIdiotDan

Can you guys/gals mark my homework please - trying to do the inevitable work out of what the PHEV is costing me without having a smart meter monitor the KWs i'm putting into the car when it's on 0 miles

Watchdog says my battery condition is 85% in big letters. I assume that means that my 12kw battery will only take an optimum charge of 10kw. Right?

What about the "usable capacity" stated figure of 9kw? Does that mean that regardless of battery condition I was only ever going to be able to use, and therefore input a charge of, 75% (9/12ths) of my battery?

I guess what i'm leading to is an assumption that althought my range is poor at 22 miles, it's not all bad as i'm only using 7.5kw (75% of 10kw, which is 85% of 12kw) of energy to achieve it.

p.s. is 85% battery condition for a 3 year old Outlander with 45000 miles OK?

Well, yes and no ;-)

Your 7.5 kWh seems about right, but this is excluding losses in the AC/DC converter. While I see about 3300 watts being send by the EVSE, I see only 2900 - 3000 watts ending up in my battery. Per hour that is.

I see about about 7 kWh before losses, where my battery is just below 70%.

Fantastic, thanks Anko as I noticed I forgot to say please!

This makes me feel much better - yes I would like a 33% better range and to pay 33% more for it but a close 2nd is to be paying 33% less than I thought I was for the 33% less range.

In summary, I'm buying a smart socket! :)

Back