Battery pack replacement

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertp1979

Hello

Bearing in mind that I dont afford a brand new car, I plan to buy a SH one, namely PHEV 2013/2014, approx. 150,000-200,000 miles already run.

Probably I will have to replace the battery pack, sooner or later.

Did anyone replace the battery pack? What are the approx. costs?

The battery pack is genuine or it can be found also aftermarket.

Thank you

?

I think you ask a good question, but are ahead of the game.
The batteries are guaranteed to keep at least 70% of charge after 8 years.
I think they came out in 2013, so are just not old enough to be suffering, yet. Even after 8 years, there should be capacity left in the batteries to do enough work. Mitsubishi will have been conservative in their estimate of battery lifespan.
In time, I’d expect companies to arrive who will refurbish ‘misbehaving’ batteries but we will have to wait for a demand to make their time worthwhile.

twosout said:
The batteries are guaranteed to keep at least 70% of charge after 8 years. I think they came out in 2013, so are just not old enough to be suffering, yet.
"Guarantueed" does not mean it cannot happen. It means they promise to fix it when it does happen. There are several cases already of batteries that have been replaced under warranty. I hope mine will be next (<70% after 5 years / 150.000 km). Also, keep in mind, the warrantee (not available in all counties) is only good for 160.000 km.

I am happy to hear that the battery is working well for many years.

However, we should be prepared also for failure of battery, and probably it will happen when the car is not anymore protected by the warranty.

Did anyone replace it?
I asked to a dealer and he told me he could give me such information only if I go there with the car (I didn't finalize the process of buying it).

It should be a way to have a price.

I have no specific knowledge but looking at the difference in price for a pure EV in 2014 (i.e. before I settled on a PHEV) between those where you bought the battery with the car and those where you rent it, I estimated the cost to be £5,000 to £8,000. I have no reason to think costs have fallen since.

The best bet surely is to watch out for a crashed but fairly new PHEV, its easy for a car to become not repairable these days for a fairly small accident, the battery would not be harmed but the car would be stripped down for parts.

If you bought the battery pack it would be just a matter of the cost of the garage labour to change it.

Here is one from a 2017 vehicle only done 17,000 miles for £2100 for example.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitsubishi-Outlander-Phev-2-0-2016-2017-2018-Hybrid-Battery/323530632617

I don't think battery pack replacement is really an economic runner.
Any car that has run for over 150k will also have a host of other components reaching the end of their economic life (suspension, electrics ) as well as deteriorating rubbers, worn upholstery etc.
Putting in a new or even second hand battery pack is simply not cost-effective. I'm no expert but it doesn't strike me as being either a DIY job or one for a cheap local garage either given the weight, complexity and risk of electrocution.
The slight irony here is that most internal combustion engines will go on far longer than the cars they sit in but the battery pack is more closely aligned to the life of the rest of the car.
My engine in the PHEV (a 2014) still looks like new after 30k.

gobiman said:
Any car that has run for over 150k will also have a host of other components reaching the end of their economic life (suspension, electrics ) as well as deteriorating rubbers, worn upholstery etc.
Putting in a new or even second hand battery pack is simply not cost-effective. I'm no expert but it doesn't strike me as being either a DIY job or one for a cheap local garage either given the weight, complexity and risk of electrocution.
The slight irony here is that most internal combustion engines will go on far longer than the cars they sit in but the battery pack is more closely aligned to the life of the rest of the car.

You may have a good point. Mine has done a 100k and the seat is quite painful for longer trips, the seat foam has lost its 'spring' causing lack of lower back support.

gobiman said:

Mine also but it will take another 16 years to reach 150k. Will our batteries last that long - I doubt it.

There is no doubt that the battery will degrade significantly over the life of the vehicle, that's just the way it is at this stage of development. The real question is, when will the car become unusable ? Assuming no individual cell failure (which will cause the BMU to stop the car from operating!), is it 60%, 50% or even lower? Even with only 10km battery range, the car will still be reasonably efficient, operating mostly in hybrid mode. So, while it may not make a lot of financial sense to replace the battery pack, provided there are no other major issues, I can see the total life of this car not that different from a conventional vehicle.

Keep in mind, at some point, not only stamina is impacted, but also power output. My ICE turns on way sooner (in terms of power demand) than it did earlier. As soon as you look at the gas pedal, the engine turns on, so to speak. Maybe not in the city, but certainly on the country road. Makes it very difficult to make a short trip, well within EV range, without the engine making a unnecessary cold start.

On the subject of seat wear...

I've had seats re-upholstered in a number of my previous cars, and, in all cases, the seats were much more comfortable afterwards.

The cost was much lower than expected too. (i.e. way less than buying a new seat).

:cool:

So my 2014 PHEV Aspire is the best car I have ever had (even though I have now ordered a Kona EV, I wish I could have had a fully electric Outlander!).

But though it charges happily to what it says is 100%, I now only get 25km gentle electric-only range. It only has 85k on it.

If it should do 54km (when new), then 70% should be 37.8km.

It is due in for a service in January. They have told me to bring it in fully charged and they will make a claim to Mitsubishi. Let's see what will happen!

Hi
Ive had my 2016 model outlander since it was 6 months old I used to get about 26 miles on pure ev but now I struggle to get 18 to 20 miles on exactly the same journey any idea if these figures means I should be asking for them to request a replacement battery pack.
Thanks in advance

ThudnBlundr said:
It's winter. Everyone's EV range (PHEVs, BEVs, hybrids, etc) drops by at least 25% when the battery's cold. Then it returns when it warms up again.

Oh no it's not! - it's Panto season :lol:

AFAIK the Aspire model in only sold "down under" - so 25km does sound low for high summer and the dealer seems to agree. :idea:

As for the second post, although we don't know where they are, I would agree that, if in the northern hemisphere, 18-20 miles in winter for a 2016 car seems reasonable. ;)

BTW - anybody know what the metric equivalent of "mileage" is?

jaapv said:
https://www.calculateme.com/gas-mileage/british-mpg-to-km-per-liter

So the answer is - there isn't, just a description! All the more reason for us to keep our imperial measure then. :lol:

Back