New PHEV arrived - EV range question

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there

So we have upgraded from our 2014 model and bought a new Outlander PHEV 5hs - the new model with the 2.4 ICE

Lovely car - love the new styling and the advances in the technology. The new engine is a lot (really a lot) quieter. As for MPG of the ICE, we will monitor this over time.

I have a question. Only done 100 miles so far, but in the morning, the fully charged battery is only showing 18 miles range. Now I know the range is base on recent MPG/MPKwH etc, but this seems really low.

What has been your experience with new cars?

Will it improve with a bit more use?

Should I speak with the dealer?

Keen to hear your thoughts..... thanks

Jonathan

It's a guessometer Jonathan. It tries to estimate range from historic performance and right now it has little history to work on. This is normal, don't worry. Drive it and see what you actually achieve.

Have fun.

I am seeing now the weather is colder an actual range of about 24-25 miles max. The EV range indication has now settled down showing the same after a full charge.

It seems to me that it also learns the fact that I am using the cabin heater and reduces the range accordingly. To me, so far use of the cabin heater seems to have the biggest impact on range. i.e. if I didn't use it I am sure I would be back up to 30+ miles EV range easily. Unfortunately, I feel the cold more no I am older! :lol:

cornclose said:
I am seeing now the weather is colder an actual range of about 24-25 miles max.
Hamaudio said:
I got 33-35km with heater on, outside temp is -5 degree.
That's not far off the same as me then - mine is slightly more range but we haven't had -5 deg.C yet. Average lows of about 3-4 deg.C here, so I'd expect mine to go a little further with less heating required..

Thanks everyone.

I’m not convinced somethings not wrong with the battery .... still only 17miles showing this morning.

I’ve spoken with the dealer - so they are on notice that the issue was there from the start - they have said give it a few more days/miles to see if it works out the range better and if not take it in

Jon

I agree with Anko but very sensible to put a flag in the dealer's sand! Measure how far you get, you may find you are managing more.

Also, reset expectation unfortunately. I came into this thinking Mitsubishi say 32 mile range, in fact 27 miles as my MY16 battery is degraded to 85%. Maybe i'll get that in summer but right now I'm lucky if I get 22 miles driving like a nun. Not all bad; I can only force 7.5kw into the 12kw battery to achieve this range so the cost per mile isn't worse than I had projected.

Maybe get a £20 OBD2 and see what the excellent and free PHEV Watchdog app says, it will certainly show if something obvious is wrong with your battery

Thanks everyone

I know it’s a guess and the cold doesn’t help!

I am getting around xx miles less than my old PHEV. I have a 30 mile round trip commute. I used to get within 3 miles of home on the last PHEV so 27 miles range, with the new one I am getting to work with 3 miles remaining - so 18 miles range (which it what it shows when I get in it)

Great advice - I’m ordering a OBD adapter today!

Dealer is on warning. it needs to go into the garage to have the bonne badge replaced, original one was on the piss big time, and I’ll get them to plug it into their diagnostics then too

Jon

Back