Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EV Mode - Purpose ?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:45 am 

I've now had my 2019 Outlander for nearly two months, and I am yet to figure out what difference using the EV mode button actually makes.

For example;

EV Mode - car operates drive on batteries until they are depleted, then gives a message 'EV mode cancelled due to low charge state' or something like that, and starts the engine.

Normal Mode (i.e. start car and don't press EV mode button) - car operates drive on batteries until they are depleted, then starts the engine.

As far as I can gather, the only difference is the lack of the message 'EV mode cancelled due to low charge state'.

Or am I missing something ?

2001 Volvo V70 T5 SE
1997 Saab 9000 Aero

Post subject: Re: EV Mode - Purpose ?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:43 am 

EV mode means you force the car in pure electric mode.

Otherwise, it's only EV priority mode. For example if outside temp is lower than 10 degree and you have heater on, engine will kick in if you dont press EV button.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:00 am 

Hamaudio wrote:
EV mode means you force the car in pure electric mode.

Otherwise, it's only EV priority mode. For example if outside temp is lower than 10 degree and you have heater on, engine will kick in if you dont press EV button.

I have not yet seen any difference between the modes in operation. We have had the outside temperature below 10 deg.C here many times so far, and I always have the heater on (climate set to 20.0 deg.C) and the engine does not start until the battery is exhausted.

Only other piece of information I can give is that I always drive in ECO mode. Not sure I have ever driven in 'non-ECO' mode since I've had the vehicle. Does this change anything ? Manual seems to suggest the heater is lower power rated and throttle response is less keen but to be honest I don't find either of these a problem

2001 Volvo V70 T5 SE
1997 Saab 9000 Aero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:53 am 

Yes, eco mode reduces the power draw from the heater. Turn off eco and engine will kick on with very little acceleration and heater.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:53 pm 

BudRaymond wrote:
Yes, eco mode reduces the power draw from the heater. Turn off eco and engine will kick on with very little acceleration and heater.
I think that is more caused by remapping of the throttle than reduced power consumption by the heater. AFAIK, only A/C operation is dampened, not the heater.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:54 am 

cornclose wrote:
I have not yet seen any difference between the modes in operation. We have had the outside temperature below 10 deg.C here many times so far, and I always have the heater on (climate set to 20.0 deg.C) and the engine does not start until the battery is exhausted.

On the 2017MY's we have, if the outside temperature is 5 degrees or less, the engine will always start, irrespective of heater setting. A real pain if you are only moving it a short distance. So you develop the technique of hitting the power button, closely followed by the EV button, to get it into EV only mode.

Aside from that, the engine still starts if the outside temperature is above 5 degrees and the heater set temperature is higher - I think about 23 causes the engine to burst into life.

I have also noticed that in EV only mode, the engine only starts if you fully floor the throttle pedal and "click it down" past the "kickdown switch". Outwith EV mode, you don't have to put the throttle pedal to the floor to invoke engine start.

All on 2017MY - May be different on others.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:30 am 

On my older PHEV (details below) setting the heater to minimum (15°C) prevents the engine starting even at below zero outside temperatures (though it doesn't usually get as cold here as it does up your way). At other settings, the engine will start if outside temperatures are more than 10° colder than the car's setting. If I've left the heater set above minimum, I start the car with a double press of the starter button (but no foot on the brake), which then allows the temperature settings to be adjusted.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:25 am 

Yes, I think there must be variations depending on model year or firmware. On these 2017MY 4Work commercials, even with the heater completely off (set at 15, then "Off pressed before turning off the power), on turning the power on, the engine bursts into life unless you are pretty sharp at hitting the EV button. Too sharp and you cause the "Ready" light to not come on, and have to start the process over again. Its a bit of a winters morning game - Trying to hit the EV button at exactly the right time. :?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:23 am 

On my 2019, I push On with Break and then EV, which ends in a full electric ride and heat.

2019 Top

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:00 am 

ChrisMiller wrote:
If I've left the heater set above minimum, I start the car with a double press of the starter button (but no foot on the brake), which then allows the temperature settings to be adjusted.

Ah, useful tip as I make the mad rush to get it down to 15oC in that scenario. Your approach is more logical! :)

I only need it to demist really so have bought a couple of those chamois pads which do the job nicely

UK MY16 4HS in Grey