Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: EV Mode - Purpose ?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:45 am 

Rather than fiddling with temperatures, I just turn the whole heating system off when I start. It keeps the ICE off and is much easier, especially as I don't have an EV button. Only if I need demisting do I turn the temperature down and the AC off. Heated seats are such a boon - I just wish ours had a heated steering wheel too.

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:09 am 

ThudnBlundr wrote:
Rather than fiddling with temperatures, I just turn the whole heating system off when I start. It keeps the ICE off and is much easier, especially as I don't have an EV button. Only if I need demisting do I turn the temperature down and the AC off. Heated seats are such a boon - I just wish ours had a heated steering wheel too.

Yup, exactly how I handle it. I turned mine up to 15.5oC yesterday just to see how far I could get before ICE kicked in....engine turned on immediately! :) My wife and her mum know to wear an extra coat in the car and take it off when we get places lol

What version do you have Mr Blundr? - I have the heated steering wheel and must say it's very pleasant!

UK MY16 4HS in Grey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:15 am 

ThudnBlundr wrote:
I just wish ours had a heated steering wheel too.

Annoyingly, it only heats the lowest 1/3 of the wheel - so, unless you have a very odd driving position, it isn't much help.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:31 am 

On my 2018 I found the ICE would randomly start with"START/ON" pressed with my foot on the brake (well presumably not random but I couldn't guess the software reason) especially with the heater in any "ON" setting. To stop this I found "START/ON x 2" no foot on brake, then press "EV", wait a few seconds, then foot on break 3rd "START/ON", now just heavy breathing from somewhere. No ICE.

Perhaps the 2019 folks could test this work-around.

(Just noticed my location isn't shown - I am in London (Ontario, Canada), apologies)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:21 am 

ChrisMiller wrote:
ThudnBlundr wrote:
I just wish ours had a heated steering wheel too.

Annoyingly, it only heats the lowest 1/3 of the wheel - so, unless you have a very odd driving position, it isn't much help.

One of the reasons I got the model (Canada 2018 Touring) was for the heated steering wheel. I'm disappointed by only 1/2 of it working ... theory is that you're not supposed to have your hands at 10/2 but on the lower (heated) part of the wheel in case the airbag goes off. I don't like it ... hard to break habits after over 50 years of driving :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:08 pm 

I just swapped my 2016 to 2018-19 14 days ago. I did not have EV mode before. At delivery I asked the dealer about EV. As you know in the old model you could not use the last 3kw of drive battery, engine will kick in plus the usual reasons for ICE to kick in. Dealer explained in many European countries there are area of Zero emission or zero noise. This is where EV comes in , where you don't want the ICE to kick in. This is consistent with what is written in manual.
For example you return home from long journey and you are on ICE, you enter your residential area at midnight and want to sneak in quietly without disturbing anyone , press the EV.
There is a long list where EV switch will not work. Sorry you will have to look at manual. Too long to describe here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:22 pm 

mellobob wrote:
theory is that you're not supposed to have your hands at 10/2 but on the lower (heated) part of the wheel in case the airbag goes off. I don't like it ... hard to break habits after over 50 years of driving :)

I've read that, too - although the only official recommendations I can find are for hands at 9/3, whereas they'd need to be at 8/4 to get any benefit from the heated wheel. I take the point about airbags, though I've had friends who've been driving when airbags have gone off, and no hand or arm injuries resulted (only anecdata, but still ...). You've clearly got (marginally) poorer control over the car with your hands low down on the wheel - so, less likely to be injured if the airbags activate, but more likely to activate them in the first place :).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:53 am 

ChrisMiller wrote:
although the only official recommendations I can find are for hands at 9/3

9/3 is where it heats the steering wheel on my 2019 4HS, with a little either side, but not much.

Still haven't seen any difference between EV mode and none EV mode!