Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Do you guys like these things?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:26 am 

I joined this forum recently as part of my research into the Outlander PHEV, and I'm convinced enough to be selling my Subaru Outback 3.0Rn and getting one in the next few months.

My job changed a couple of years ago and now instead of driving 20,000 miles a year I'm doing about 5 miles a day during the week with longer trips at the weekend and I still need a large boot, 4WD and ground clearance as I live in a rural area - exactly what a PHEV suits. I'll be sad to say goodbye to the Subaru, as I've had several Legacys before my current Outback and just love the grip and handling which I've rarely seen any other large estate car get close to. But short journeys aren't doing that nice flat six engine any good and the LPG conversion that made fueling it affordable doesn't really give that much benefit on short journeys.

There's certainly plenty of enthusiasm for the Outlander PHEV and lively enough forums. Also the second hand price of 2014 models in the UK makes them an extremely affordable option for people like me. I also have a 1991 Mitsubishi Pajero, so am no stranger to Mitsubishi 4WD vehicles, and although I doubt a 2014 Outlander will be anywhere near as reliable as my 27 year old Pajero has proven to be, I don't have any real worries. It might even mean I very reluctantly sell the Pajero if the Outlander can cope with driving on fields and filling the boot with chopped logs...

Rich.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:51 am 

blweeden wrote:
I'm going to check one out at a dealer in the States on Saturday. I'm trying to figure a suitable replacement for our Subaru Outback. And let me tell you, there's lot of people out there that LOVE their Subarus, and I can largely see why. We could end up getting another one, but this vehicle looks pretty neat. One thing I can't tell from the forum though, is, does this vehicle inspire fans? Because I think that's a good sign for a car.

Brian

For sure the prospective from US is far different from EU

I'm not sure if there are many "fan boys" for Mitsubishi or Subaru in EU

I would bet that in EU, people love more Germans cars, and other EU made cars

Yes, Toyota is appreciated for reliability in some EU markets, but reliability is not something that make people "fan" of the brand ... maybe it create loyalty, but be "fan", in my view is more about the "car style and the driving experience".

I got my PHEV, since 2nd hand was cheap enough, and it was looking a nice introduction to the EV world with an interesting impact on cheap commuting, and the bonus to avoid visiting a tank station on a regular base

After 2y of ownership, I'm glad I found a good official service near me (having a good reliable official service , nearby, it is something that every Outlander PHEV should look for before make the decision to own one of these PHEV) ... and as well, it did help that my car still look "young", for having already 140k km, the interior does not look at all it got so much "life" ... and so far zero issue ... and for what I can read here, except for battery degradation that is more a philosophical concern, there is no know issue with this car ... it is looking designed to be as reliable as possible

Back to be a fan .... "car style and the driving experience" ... I think the Outlander fail badly ... the style is subjective ... but this car is not really a fun car to drive ... compared to a BMW x3 (which unfortunately is not available in PHEV form) ... the BMW style and drive experience is way ahead of the Outlander PHEV

PS: Even my previous Dacia Duster was more fun to drive then this Outlander ... and the previous BMW X1 was a different league about "driving experience"
PPS: After few months owning a Outlander PHEV I found myself driving like a "grand-pa" ... luckily I still have a BMW 335i cabrio for still remember what does mean "to drive"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:46 am 

greendwarf wrote:
Well, I rear-ended a BMW M3 (at slow speed) on Friday - no damage to the PHEV. So must be heavy gauge foil at the front. :lol:
I WAS talking about body work. I would think you hit him with more than just that? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:08 am 

elm70 wrote:
blweeden wrote:
I'm going to check one out at a dealer in the States on Saturday. I'm trying to figure a suitable replacement for our Subaru Outback. And let me tell you, there's lot of people out there that LOVE their Subarus, and I can largely see why. We could end up getting another one, but this vehicle looks pretty neat. One thing I can't tell from the forum though, is, does this vehicle inspire fans? Because I think that's a good sign for a car.

Brian

For sure the prospective from US is far different from EU

I'm not sure if there are many "fan boys" for Mitsubishi or Subaru in EU

I would bet that in EU, people love more Germans cars, and other EU made cars

Yes, Toyota is appreciated for reliability in some EU markets, but reliability is not something that make people "fan" of the brand ... maybe it create loyalty, but be "fan", in my view is more about the "car style and the driving experience".

I got my PHEV, since 2nd hand was cheap enough, and it was looking a nice introduction to the EV world with an interesting impact on cheap commuting, and the bonus to avoid visiting a tank station on a regular base

After 2y of ownership, I'm glad I found a good official service near me (having a good reliable official service , nearby, it is something that every Outlander PHEV should look for before make the decision to own one of these PHEV) ... and as well, it did help that my car still look "young", for having already 140k km, the interior does not look at all it got so much "life" ... and so far zero issue ... and for what I can read here, except for battery degradation that is more a philosophical concern, there is no know issue with this car ... it is looking designed to be as reliable as possible

Back to be a fan .... "car style and the driving experience" ... I think the Outlander fail badly ... the style is subjective ... but this car is not really a fun car to drive ... compared to a BMW x3 (which unfortunately is not available in PHEV form) ... the BMW style and drive experience is way ahead of the Outlander PHEV

PS: Even my previous Dacia Duster was more fun to drive then this Outlander ... and the previous BMW X1 was a different league about "driving experience"
PPS: After few months owning a Outlander PHEV I found myself driving like a "grand-pa" ... luckily I still have a BMW 335i cabrio for still remember what does mean "to drive"

I wouldn't drive any modern consumer-level car for fun. If I feel like real motoring I get my Triumph TR4 from 1963 out and have a blast!
As it is, my PHEV does its job admirably, is completely practical for my use, is reliable and wears well. What else would I want from a daily transport?

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:50 am 

jaapv wrote:
I wouldn't drive any modern consumer-level car for fun. If I feel like real motoring I get my Triumph TR4 from 1963 out and have a blast!
As it is, my PHEV does its job admirably, is completely practical for my use, is reliable and wears well. What else would I want from a daily transport?

On Daily base I'm missing the "acceleration"

Yes, If I floor the gas, it does accelerate a bit, but it does start the ICE and there is quite a gap on delivering the power
If we want to avoid to start ICE, especially at low speed which does not require lot of power, there is a luck of "power" since the 60kw from the battery is still only available in theory but not in practice, plus the torque limiter is too aggressive (strangely ... if I remove the fuel pomp fuse, it will open up the car a bit in EV mode, making it a bit more reactive )

More in general as SUV .. fun factor should be doing some off road, but this PHEV it is one of the many SUV designed for onroad, not for offroad fun

As on road SUV, the BMW X1 is/was much more agile and more reactive in the twisty/mountain roads

This PHEV SUV ... it is a very practical car ... but quite "boring" to drive.

PS: About pure fun driving cars .. yes .. old analogue cars have their own appealing ... but ... they luck of the power and agility of modern cars ... actually I'm currently looking to add an old Italian spider to my garage .. something produced between the '70 and '80 ... so ... not far from your TR4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:29 am 

Well, you might be surprised about the feeling of power ;) ...These cars have far more interesting torque curves than modern ones. If you haven't done four-wheel drifts with a coal-cart suspension you haven't had real fun with a car :lol:
One hand on the wheel, one hand on the outside of the door to stay on your seat, front wheels opposite to the direction, tail hanging out, flies between your teeth because you have a grin on your face - that is driving a car..

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:17 am 

I suppose this happen on a close road / truck ... else ... :twisted:

PS: Unfortunately ... I never drift intentional so far ... so I'm not qualified for speak about proper car fan :ugeek: ... nor I have been able to drive on close road (with except of a driving training .. but was only an "introduction" half day on a very small truck ... using my old BMW X1) ... I did unintentionally "drift" twice in my car history ... on a old Alfa Romeo 90 .. and on a Fiat Coupe LE ... so old memories ... luckily without consequences ... plus a couple(s) of ice sliding too .. again always with an happy ending.

PPS: I plan to visit the nearest truck, in Poznan, once the motorway from my place is completed .. else the trip is too much annoying compared to the fan on the track ... but ... more then drift ... I'm for experience G forces , and see the limit of the car in the turns

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:12 am 

anko wrote:
I am somewhat confused. First you say lack of recurring repeat purchase and purchase loyalty is a tele tall sign on what to expect from the car. Then you say, the reason for scoring like it does is Federal Tax Credits, so it would say nothing for the car or the brand itself. I an also curious: to what extend is Mitsubishi already affected by this in the US? Did they have models that were subsidised earlier but not anymore?

Hello Anko, please allow me to clarify. The OP asked what the "fanship" was for this vehicle, to understand if this was a good vehicle. I replied a better indicator of a good vehicle (versus asking users on a forum dedicated to a vehicle) is purchase loyalty, where Mitsubishi, at least in the USA, ranks near-bottom. He then asked why I'm still interested in the Outlander PHEV, despite the overall brand's low loyalty and satisfaction ratings. The Federal Tax Credit is one primary reason why I'm still personally interested in this vehicle (there are other reasons). The surveys also don't separate the loyalty and satisfaction scores by model, it's possible the Outlander PHEV scores higher than, for example, the Thailand-made Mirage, which scores low on Consumer Reports reliability report.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:21 am 

richr wrote:
There's certainly plenty of enthusiasm for the Outlander PHEV and lively enough forums. Also the second hand price of 2014 models in the UK makes them an extremely affordable option for people like me. I also have a 1991 Mitsubishi Pajero, so am no stranger to Mitsubishi 4WD vehicles, and although I doubt a 2014 Outlander will be anywhere near as reliable as my 27 year old Pajero has proven to be, I don't have any real worries. It might even mean I very reluctantly sell the Pajero if the Outlander can cope with driving on fields and filling the boot with chopped logs...

Rich.

The Pajero's of the 90's were bulletproof (true, a lot of vehicles in the 90's were, the vehicle era of over-engineering), still, the Pajero is legendary and has a cult-following in many countries. Outlander... not so much :) , at least it shows Mitsubishi's potential to make good vehicles. The Mirage is probably the other side of the coin, the potential to make not-so-good vehicles.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:04 am 

elm70 wrote:
I suppose this happen on a close road / truck ... else ... :twisted:

PS: Unfortunately ... I never drift intentional so far ... so I'm not qualified for speak about proper car fan :ugeek: ... nor I have been able to drive on close road (with except of a driving training .. but was only an "introduction" half day on a very small truck ... using my old BMW X1) ... I did unintentionally "drift" twice in my car history ... on a old Alfa Romeo 90 .. and on a Fiat Coupe LE ... so old memories ... luckily without consequences ... plus a couple(s) of ice sliding too .. again always with an happy ending.

PPS: I plan to visit the nearest truck, in Poznan, once the motorway from my place is completed .. else the trip is too much annoying compared to the fan on the track ... but ... more then drift ... I'm for experience G forces , and see the limit of the car in the turns

The open road is fine, as long as you can see that nobody else is near ;). Or approaching ahead for that matter :mrgreen:
I once did a 180º spin on a motorway. Driving a TR6 (a rather overpowered car for the suspension) I accelerated out of a petrol station and hit a puddle of motor oil. I managed to stay on the tarmac, but when neatly parked next to the shoulder was facing two lines of cars that had braked to a halt... : :oops:

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates