Tyres

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gibbo154

Hi guys could do with a bit of your expert advice regarding tyres.i have been given 4 Michelin nearly new size 235/40 zr18 but the tyres on my phev are 225/55r/18 will the Michelin Tyres fit safely.
Cheers John

According to Tirerack.com, any wheel that is 8" - 9.5" (inches) wide will accept 235/40 18's, but most if not all Mitsubishi Outlander 18 inch wheels are only 7 inches wide. They also do not recommend this size for the Outlander "because it is too short and would affect the odometer, speedometer, and also the engine gearing ratios." Hope that helps.

The tyres are only 10mm (less than ½ inch) wider, so that shouldn't necessarily be an issue. However the sidewalls are 25% smaller, which will make the ride much harsher and possibly lead to more punctures. It will also make your speedometer over-read by over 8% which is illegal in many countries

ThudnBlundr said:
The tyres are only 10mm (less than ½ inch) wider, so that shouldn't necessarily be an issue. However the sidewalls are 25% smaller, which will make the ride much harsher and possibly lead to more punctures. It will also make your speedometer over-read by over 8% which is illegal in many countries

Noticed yesterday when have the winter tyres fitted that the front struts are "polished" where clearly the standard tyres touch them. So even an extra 10mm may be a problem. :ugeek:

Gibbo154 said:
Hi guys could do with a bit of your expert advice regarding tyres.i have been given 4 Michelin nearly new size 235/40 zr18 but the tyres on my phev are 225/55r/18 will the Michelin Tyres fit safely.
Cheers John
Whatever else, they are clearly illegal and will affect your insurance cover

Thanks guys won't be fitting them my neighbor's got a Vw with the same size tyres so I will give them to him.

Back