London congestion charge exemption to end 2021

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 816

From October 25, 2021, to December 24, 2025, only pure electric vehicles will be eligible for the CVD. All other vehicles, regardless of their emissions status, will need to pay the congestion charge

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fl...-will-face-london-congestion-charge-from-2021

You just can't ever win with Khan can you? won't affect me as you have to drag me kicking and screaming anywhere near London now.

I feel really sorry for the private hire drivers who will also lose exemption,

"The changes affecting private hire vehicles are expected to reduce the number of PHVs circulating in the congestion charging zone by up to 8,000 a day."

That is a lot of peoples livings at risk, and forcing passengers to use expensive taxis.

They have a history of this dating back long before Khan. I had an early Prius which was congestion charge exempt to start with, but that was removed after a few years. I subsequently bought a 12 seat Landrover Defender Station Wagon - that was, and still is, 100% exempt from the Congestion Charge - more so than the Prius really, since I did not have to pay any registration fee to claim the exemption. It is legally a bus and, hence, not liable for the charge. On the other hand, I did have to go to a commercial vehicle test centre when it was due for its MOT.

I loved that Landy - when it was working, at least. If the PHEV bites the dust before I do, I may get another! :) Though I have to say that it was one of the most unreliable vehicles I have ever owned - bought brand new and went through three gearboxes before the warranty ran out!

The whole point of the Ultra Low Emissions Zone and whatever follows it is to stop people in London having breathing difficulties and dying because of the incredibly poor air quality. Would you rather that people continue to die due to poor air quality so that people can continue to use those polluting cars? :roll:

ThudnBlundr said:
The whole point of the Ultra Low Emissions Zone and whatever follows it is to stop people in London having breathing difficulties and dying because of the incredibly poor air quality. Would you rather that people continue to die due to poor air quality so that people can continue to use those polluting cars? :roll:

I don't drive in London any more, so I'm really not too concerned about the restrictions they choose to put on the use of vehicles - I was really just pointing out the illogicality of the congestion charging rules.

ThudnBlundr said:

Rubbish! they are also going to start charging pure EV's how will that improve the air?

Its entirely to raise money for a badly run bankrupt organisation run by a useless Mayor.

The air quality issue in London isn't because of too many cars, its because of too many people as the underlying issue, making it more difficult for people to travel, which is all TFL do, is tacking the symptom not the illness.

BobEngineer said:
ThudnBlundr said:

Rubbish! they are also going to start charging pure EV's how will that improve the air?

Its entirely to raise money for a badly run bankrupt organisation run by a useless Mayor.
Where do you get that from - not the above link which specifically states that only pure EV cars will be exempt!

And given that you are in Worcestershire your comments on the ULEZ, TFL & the Mayor are arguably irrelevant. :lol:

BobEngineer said:
ThudnBlundr said:

The air quality issue in London isn't because of too many cars, its because of too many people as the underlying issue, making it more difficult for people to travel, which is all TFL do, is tacking the symptom not the illness.
You're confusing the ULEZ and the Congestion Charge Zone :roll: They will charge EVs for congestion from 2025. That seems fair, as there should be a significant number around by then, so excluding them would be extremely unfair. The aim of the Congestion Charge is unsurprisingly to stop congestion in the centre of London: maybe we should scrap it all together and allow it to descend even further into gridlock. So would you rather be selfish or altruistic?

And to which mayor are you referring? The one who implemented it, the one who tweaked it or the one who is tweaking it again? I don't think you should let your apparent hatred of one confuse the issue.

If you removed the charge, more people would die; so the air quality problem in London is certainly to do with too many cars. But it isn't the only cause. What the charges do is tackle one of the causes. Even bozo BoJo agreed with it. Maybe you, in your infinite wisdom, would like to suggest a better way of stopping Londoners dying from pollution...

A better way? Easy: :ugeek:
1. provide adequate public transport by electric vehicles.
2. close the town to all private transport.
3. only allow electric delivery vehicles
4. implement a smoking ban
5. only allow non-polluting heating systems for buildings.

I fear this is not going to happen, though... ;)

Back