New Owner Basic Questions

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreebirdUK

Had my 2015 GX4h PHEV Outlander for about 2 weeks now, I have a great deal going on in my family right now, illness etc so I have not had time to check out some of the bits and pieces so I have a couple of questions (I have read the handbook but its not too clear). I have had a PHEV for 2 years prior to buying the Outlander so I was already familiar with driving an EV.

First there is a top down silhouette of the vehicle to the left of the Hazard Switch, when I start up there is a row of three red dots in the middle of it. I’m not sure what that represents, is it to do with headlamp levelling? I did wonder if my vehicle has discharge headlamps with self-levelling as I can’t see a manual control for the headlamps.

The vehicle has a rear-view camera, should it also have audible sonar warnings. There is a sonar button but if I press it I just get ‘sonar off’ light on the dash, pressing again that light goes off but there is no ‘sonar on’ warning. I ask this as the audible warning does not seem to work whatever I do. This may be complicated by the fact that it has had front audible sensors fitted, this is turned off and on by an aftermarket (I guess) switch on the dash.

I will just add that I love the car, I had a Shogun three years ago which was a great car but I sold it mainly due to environmental considerations. I bought a Vauxhall Ampera (PHEV), a great car let down by Vauxhall, but I now have 2 Golden Retrievers and need to transport them often. To my surprise I find the Outlander much better to drive than the Ampera and although I thought I would miss the Ampera I don’t.
I have learned a great deal on this forum which has helped a great deal and hope to contribute one day. Thanks.
Phil

Top down silhouette of the vehicle to the left of the Hazard Switch - shows who's not got their seatbelt on.

Not sure about the parking sensor warning switch, as mine only has a rear camera and no sensors. I have a feeling from when I read the manual that you only get a warning when you disable them, rather than have them in the default enabled state.

I've still got my 28 year old Pajero (ie imported Shogun). It might be big, heavy and slow, but it's reliable and goes anywhere!

I too am new to Outlander PHEV ownership and have already learnt a huge amount from this forum and hope to learn (and contribute) more in the coming years :)

Rich.

richr said:
Top down silhouette of the vehicle to the left of the Hazard Switch - shows who's not got their seatbelt on.

Not sure about the parking sensor warning switch, as mine only has a rear camera and no sensors. I have a feeling from when I read the manual that you only get a warning when you disable them, rather than have them in the default enabled state.

I've still got my 28 year old Pajero (ie imported Shogun). It might be big, heavy and slow, but it's reliable and goes anywhere!

I too am new to Outlander PHEV ownership and have already learnt a huge amount from this forum and hope to learn (and contribute) more in the coming years :)

Rich.
Thanks very much Rich that helps a lot, a mystery solved. I know how you feel about your Pajero, I was the same with the Shogun, build quality was excellent and I am very impressed with the Outlander. When things in my family calm down a bit I shalll enjoy having a 'play' with it.
Phil

The three lights for the rear seat-belts always come on and then go off again after less than a minute. I don't know if this is a particular oddity of my vehicle (the rear seats are occupied about 2/3 times a year) or a universal quirk.

ChrisMiller said:
The three lights for the rear seat-belts always come on and then go off again after less than a minute. I don't know if this is a particular oddity of my vehicle (the rear seats are occupied about 2/3 times a year) or a universal quirk.

Thanks for your reply Chris, your correct. Once I knew it was to do with seat belts I could find it in the manual (which I dont find very user friendly). I think your lights are correct according to the book, mine does the same.

Regarding the audible reversing sensors I am still puzzled. I tried holdig in the sonar button as per the book but no beeps and it makes no difference and still doesnt work. The odd thing is that the manual states that a light actually in the switch comes on, but my vehicle has a warning light saying 'Sonar Off' actually in the energy useage indicator which isnt mentioned in the book.

Still cant find any control for levelling headlights so I hope they are discharge headlamps which I believe are self leveling?

Many thanks

Phil

FreebirdUK said:
Still cant find any control for levelling headlights so I hope they are discharge headlamps which I believe are self leveling?

Correct. The HID (and LED on later models) headlights are self levelling, only the halogen ones on GX3h have the manual levelling control.

richr said:
FreebirdUK said:

Correct. The HID (and LED on later models) headlights are self levelling, only the halogen ones on GX3h have the manual levelling control.

Thank you so much RichR, I wont have to worry with a load now.
Phil

Still puzzled regading reversing sonar audible warning which doesnt seem to work, the camera is ok, but no audible warnings.
The sonar switch to the lower right of the steering wheel will give a message on the dash (energy use indicator) saying 'sonar off' when presssed, pressing again does not give a 'sonar on' message but Im not sure if it is supposed to, either way there are no audible warnings when reversing (or am I doing something wrong).
In the manuals the sonar on light is built into the switch, I cant find any references in various manuals to the sonar off message being in the energy use indicator as mine is. Anyone else have the same switch and light combination?

The car was fitted with front sonar warning which now seems to work but I dont know if I did anything.
The front sensors are turned on manually by a switch on the dash which I thought was aftermarket but cant be as the switch is very tidy, anyone else got this version?
https://i.ibb.co/ZVk0MZN/Sonar-Switch-640x612.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/jZ12htf/Sonar-Light-592x640.jpg

On my GX4h* there's no sonar, just the camera - you need the 4hs to get it, but maybe it could be fitted as an optional extra or (as you say) as aftermarket.

* it's the 'facelift' version, but I think the same differences applied between 4h/4hs irrespective. It depends on the month when your 2015 model was manufactured whether it's 'facelift' or not - if it looks like the example in the banner on this page, it's pre-facelift - if it's got a lot more 'chrome' on the nose it's facelift :)

Thanks for the info Chris, it was registered in June 2015 and is the pre facelift model (on the cusp I guess).
I can manage without audible reversing sensors, but as I bought it with Mitsubishi Aproved Used Warranty I wan to make sure everything that should be working is working.
It does have the sensors built into the rear bumper, and it does have a Sonar Switch for rear sonars, I thought if it had those installed it would be wired up.
I know when prodution lines change models, sometimes new parts are used on the previous version as they supply the line, I wondered if thats why I have the warning light on the dash, but looking at the manual for the 2016 model it should have the light in the switch.
Anyway I will shut up about it now before it gets too boring, but if anyone else has the warning light on the dash like mine I would be glad to know.
Thanks
Phil

Hi Freebird, would it be the Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System (AVAS) basically it's so pedestrians can hear your car coming ?

When I got my 4h I thought it was a parking sensor button until I got a chance to read the book. It's right next to tailgate opening button.

Hi Phevnomenal, thanks very much thats the one. Once you pointed it out I could look up AVAS in the manual and there it is. I find the manual over descriptive, over 400 pages and the illustrations are not very clear (or maybe I didnt look hard enough).
I know my questions may seem trivial so I appreciate you guys helping me out. But Im loving the car, and hope soon to have more time checking it out and not just driving it.
Thanks Again
Phil

Happy to help Phil. I got flashbacks of University when I saw the thickness of the books :shock:

I am still new to the Outlander having only picked it up a week or so ago and will no doubt be asking similar questions at some stage.

Like you I am very happy with my choice so far.
John

Back