Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is a charge point necessary/worth it?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:23 am 

With 3 x PHEV's at work, we have not had the need for any fancy chargers. When we got them, we simply put 2 x double waterproof sockets on the wall, then plug the supplied chargers in there. A hole drilled and a padlock fitted to each socket means the chargers cannot be nicked, nor any electricity either (EV charging excepted). But since thats negligable risk in these parts, its not a consideration.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:10 pm 

I have a wall unit at home paid for by the Government. Fantastic ... 4 hours or less for a full charge. I also have the 13 amp charger but it’s a mess, a faff, and slow. I use it on holiday (overnight only). With wall unit I have a cool car in summer and a warm one in winter ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:43 pm 

Chuck wrote:
With wall unit I have a cool car in summer and a warm one in winter ...

Isn't it possible to cool/heat the car via the standard plug in charger?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:29 am 

[quote="allplayandnowork”]

Isn't it possible to cool/heat the car via the standard plug in charger?[/quote]

The standard charger can only carry 10A - ie about 2.5kW. The heater draws more than that so requires some power from the battery. With a 16A charger that excess is far lower.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:55 am 

Chuck wrote:
I have a wall unit at home paid for by the Government.

Hmmm. By us actually. You're welcome :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:02 pm 

We already had a point for our Zoe when we bought the PHEV. Initially we just left the Zoe using the charger, and the PHEV used the 3-pin charger. But I noticed the plug getting very warm during the hot summer, so we now share the chargepoint and leave the 3-pin charger under the boot floor for occasional use

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:33 am 

Cheers for the insight.

My fusebox is nowhere near where the car needs to be plugged in so it's going to cost me significantly more than £200 even with the 'free' money from the government!.
I'm going to put in an outside socket and try that for a while and see how I get on before deciding.

My main concern was lack of some technical ability but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:14 am 

allplayandnowork wrote:
Cheers for the insight.

My fusebox is nowhere near where the car needs to be plugged in so it's going to cost me significantly more than £200 even with the 'free' money from the government!.
I'm going to put in an outside socket and try that for a while and see how I get on before deciding.

My main concern was lack of some technical ability but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Certainly seems the quick way to get up and running. I went looking for a way of fitting one that was a smart meter but couldn't work it out as any solution exposes it to the elements. Just mention it in case you can work it out. Maybe even just an outdoor socket that has a timer integrated may be useful as you're adding it a fresh.

UK MY16 4HS in Grey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:20 am 

I have decided after three days of ownership that I will be getting a charge point installed, but really just for convenience - ie not having to open the garage door to plug the charger in to the sockets inside there and drape the cable across my driveway to where the car is parked right across the path to the front door. You'd have thought they could have made the cable a hi-visibility colour to reduce the chance of people tripping over it!

Where I need the charge point is about 9m from the fusebox so I'm within the OLEV grant limit, although there are a couple of walls to go through to get to the outside of the house.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:34 am 

VillageIdiotDan wrote:
I went looking for a way of fitting one that was a smart meter but couldn't work it out as any solution exposes it to the elements. Just mention it in case you can work it out.

Easily done - every kW of energy I've ever put in to my Outlander has been via a smart socket;

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3979&start=11

Current status as of this morning attached. Total so far 385.51 kWh used.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2001 Volvo V70 T5 SE
1997 Saab 9000 Aero

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next