Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Having problems with the Phev? How to fix them.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:16 pm 

Hi fellow Phevers

Ok I have been away for awhile but I see some members are having some problems with the phev. These include mostly newer members but some names I have seen here from the earlier days. Some posts that I have just seen are quite blatantly hateful against the Phev or Mitsubishi.

But I will now try to help you, if you will let me, solve these problems in a totally rational way.

On discovering what you think is a problem or fault :

1. Do not panic or chuck a wobbly. It does nothing to help and can be harmful to your personal health or even your financial health. ie do not do anything rash while you are upset.
2. Think hard about what the problem is. Is it user error ie solved by reading the owners manual or by even doing searches or asking questions on a forum such as here or anywhere else on the world wide web. Is it a genuine fault?
3. Remember all our Phevs should still be under warranty. That is a fantastic advantage in our favor ie see your dealer and if still not happy see another dealer. This has always worked for me in problem solving a car.
4. Sometimes machines (or parts) fail even when new and no company that produces equipment is perfect but see 3. above.

Now if you have tried all of above and are still unhappy you still have a choice.

Sell and probably lose money by doing so. That is your choice. But remember there are people that are happy with their choice of the Phev . Try not to spoil it for them as well.

But I implore you to give the Phev and yourself a chance. You never know you might end up liking each other. :)

Regards Trex.

Post subject: Re: Having problems with the Phev? How to fix them.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:38 am 

+ 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:57 am 

+ 1
I Always blames the hammer when i am missing the nail!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:04 am 

I assume I am one of those referred to ;)
Well if somebody would tell me how to solve the steaming up WITHOUT wasting electrical or ICE energy, I just might learn to love it. (see 'Steamed up, the car & me )
To be fair, it is a smashing drive and a good looking car.

Everybody says turn the heater on including my Dealer who seems reluctant to take up the problem with Mitsubishi. Apparently the oil burners don't do it so why should the PHEV?
To my mind and that of Claymore, it defeats the object of having what is sold as an economical car if you have to waste fuel of one sort or another to correct something that should not occur in the first place.
Oh yes, and as previously stated the App does NOT WORK, even the Dealer gave up after 30 minutes, though he has offered to try again. There is one spurious 'phone connected, a Galaxy4 , presumably belonging to the Mitsubishi manager before I bought it. It says you can connect 2 'phones, but may the other 'phone be interfering with both my Sony android 'phone and Samsung android tablet, neither of which will connect.

All contentious comments should be taken with a pinch of salt!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:16 am 

Carnut wrote:
I assume I am one of those referred to ;)
Well if somebody would tell me how to solve the steaming up WITHOUT wasting electrical or ICE energy, I just might learn to love it. (see 'Steamed up, the car & me )
To be fair, it is a smashing drive and a good looking car.

Everybody says turn the heater on including my Dealer who seems reluctant to take up the problem with Mitsubishi. Apparently the oil burners don't do it so why should the PHEV?

Are you seriously saying that you would drive any conventional car all winter with the heating and aircon turned off? I'm reasonably confident that you would suffer from condensation in them too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:47 am 

Note Carnut's strapline:-

Weird sense of humour alert!
All contentious comments should be taken as written 'tongue in cheek' & with a pinch of salt!

It could just be a wind-up :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:07 am 

greendwarf wrote:
Note Carnut's strapline:-

Weird sense of humour alert!
All contentious comments should be taken as written 'tongue in cheek' & with a pinch of salt!

It could just be a wind-up :oops:

In fairness, there are those around here that seem to be willing to pay £35k for a car and use it as if there was no heating or AC fitted!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:18 am 

I am still a bit lost on 'humidgate' why Carnut doesn't preheat (or pre-demist as there is a setting for that instead) using the timer set for some time in the morning, say 20 minutes at 7am, at least until you can get the app issue sorted. Whilst its still plugged in the majority of the power will come from the charger, probably about 2p worth. I don't think 14p a week destroys the PHEV's eco credibility too much does it?

If a 20 minute warm up doesn't fully dry it off then there is definately something wrong with the car, or you drive through a 4 foot river daily, or you exhale extraordinary amounts of vapour! hopefully non of these.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:40 am 

BobEngineer wrote:
I...

If a 20 minute warm up doesn't fully dry it off then there is definately something wrong with the car, or you drive through a 4 foot river daily, or you exhale extraordinary amounts of vapour! hopefully non of these.

If you repeatedly use the vehicle for long journeys without heating or AC, the problem is going to be cumulative. You will bring dampness into it on wet clothes and shoes and you'll add to that with your breath and sweat. Without heating and dehumidification that is going to build up in the car - get into the carpets and upholstery. The boat is just a more extreme example - in the winter we leave the dehumidifier running all the time - even during the week when we are away - if not, we arrive to find the bedding and furnishings damp and it takes ages for them to dry out. With the dehumidifier ticking over all the time, it's dry and smells sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:46 am 

maby wrote:
BobEngineer wrote:
I...

If you repeatedly use the vehicle for long journeys without heating or AC, the problem is going to be cumulative. You will bring dampness into it on wet clothes and shoes and you'll add to that with your breath and sweat. Without heating and dehumidification that is going to build up in the car - get into the carpets and upholstery. The boat is just a more extreme example - in the winter we leave the dehumidifier running all the time - even during the week when we are away - if not, we arrive to find the bedding and furnishings damp and it takes ages for them to dry out. With the dehumidifier ticking over all the time, it's dry and smells sweet.

Would it perhaps make a difference that your boat is in the water? My caravan is in a non heated winter storage from end of October to beginning of May without a dehumidifier and without any moist problems.