charge point and buying a cable

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topcat

I am currently going thru the process to have a house charging point installed.

This will be a 32A(7.2Kw) untehered Rolec fast charging unit.

I wish to also purchase a cable but only want 5m length. Those on sale say the 5M is 16A(3.6Kw). If the charging unit is pushing out 7.2KW is this cable compatible or do I need to have the 10m cable with higher rating

thanks
Topcat

I’m surprised you can’t find a 5m cable rated at 32A but it will make no difference to have a 16A. cable with the outlander as this is the maximum the in car charger can draw. The 32A Rolec will not have a problem with a 16A cable.

A 32A cable would also work fine, and only costs a few pounds more. It depends on whether you think you might have use for a type 1 to type 2 cable in the future. I don't think many new cars now use a type 1 port, assuming you're based in Europe

ThudnBlundr said:
A 32A cable would also work fine, and only costs a few pounds more. It depends on whether you think you might have use for a type 1 to type 2 cable in the future. I don't think many new cars now use a type 1 port, assuming you're based in Europe

I bought 32amp on the understanding it would be a little more robust too. Not sure if that's true. I didn't need the reach so bought 5m coiled, which while more like 3m reach keeps very clean by staying off the floor if that helps.

I was also thinking of getting a 32A cable, but I thought it’s just going to be heavier with no real advantage. Like the idea of a coiled one staying off the ground.

Back