Where to install the charging station ?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarjar26

I'm wondering where i should install my charging station, in the garage or outside ?
Usually, my car is in the garage during the winter but outside during the summer.

Is it possible to split the cable so i can have one charging station but a plug at two different places ?

You might consider installing it on a movable panel, with a plug, and indoor and outdoor socket to connect to the mains.

Nothing to stop you doubling up on the cables - as long as you're ABSOLUTELY sure you can't use both at once. I wouldn't recommend it, personally, you'd definitely void any warranty on your chosen EVSE equipment.

Edit: Hang on, that's nonsense. One cable will be signalling that there's no vehicle connected. You'd have to install a changeover switch in the pilot wire. Nah, forget it, too much fiddling about!

I would install a NEMA 6-20 as 240V 20A in the garage. It is more useful having the car warmed (pre conditioning) using 3.5 kW EVSE.

If the 240V EVSE’s cord can’t reach the car when it is parked outside, maybe an extra NEMA 5-15 using the OEM 120V EVSE to charge the car in summers.

Tai

I'm finally thinking of putting the station outside ... During the winter, i park my car in the garage usually for the night, so i could charge it using the 120V plug. When i have to use my car few times a day (or for the whole summer), i let the car outside and use a 240V charger.

Back