Outlander vs Speedhumps and potholes

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGL75

Hi All,

I am hoping to get some idea of the ride quality of the Outlander from this forum, I am considering buying the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV as we are in need of a large family car that can deal with the 12 mile round trip to our kids school everyday.

My issue is the road is a very poor road, full of speed humps and potholes and loose stone, occasionally I’ve had to drive up the verge to allow cars to pass the other way, as it is a private road there is no plan to improve it.

The only option seems to be to change cars, I have considered every type of 4x4 and 4x2 SUV from Freelanders to Tiguans, I like the Outlander PHEV as its tall, 4x4, economical, versatile, but mainly because it’s a plug in and we already have a Renault Zoe with the home charger.

I would really like to know how you good people find the ride, and how you feel it performs over potholes and speed humps in your local areas being a heavy car.

I have not seen one for sale within 40 miles so a test drive on the road is unrealistic unfortunately, hence this request.

I’m looking at the 15/16 plate pre facelift with probably 50k miles on.

Thanks in advance

Welcome from a fellow Zoe owner :mrgreen:

We've got a pre-facelift 2015 car now approaching that mileage. We live in the country and so have to deal with poor roads as well as the speedhumps in town. Like the Zoe, the PHEV is a relatively heavy car for its size, and copes with bumps well. I find it very comfortable. It's obviously not a rufty-tufty off-roader, so hasn't got the ultimate ground-clearance, strength or capabilities of something like a Discovery. But it is perfectly able to deal with climbing up a verge to get out of the way of a tractor and negotiating the odd farm track.

Unfortunately "ride quality" seems to be very much a matter of personal perception from various posts across this forum. I'm afraid you will only find if it suits you by driving it. :?

Mitsubishi PHEV ride quality is good compared to quite a few cars I have had in the past. But on the same note a few had shock absorber failures as well including phev 15-16 within 3 years . I am a PCP person, so doesn't affect me as they are replaced under warranty. So any car , your luck

Go ahead and buy the PHEV. If you find the ride too harsh for your liking on rough roads, remove the large diameter wheels and low profile tires (225/55/18 on my '18 model), and replace with the next smaller dia. wheels, and tires with a taller aspect ratio (make sure that the overall dia. of the new arrangement is close to the original equipment) and sturdy all-terrain type tread pattern. If, after testing, that is still too harsh, lower the tire pressure in increments until you get the desired results.

It is common here in Canada to drop the tire pressures as much as 60% on washboard, rutted roads, with gravel, mud, or snow, remembering of course to re-inflate to normal pressures when getting back onto smooth, high speed roads. The difference in comfort, and in reduced wear on suspension components is remarkable.

Hi and thanks for all your reply’s.

I have also read on this forum of harsh and soft ride perceptions, and do agree it’s all very personal.

I have also watched endless videos and reviews on the Outlander and still think it is the car for us.

I will try and Persuade a local lady who I’ve seen driving one to let me have a ride in it over our road, at least then I will know for sure!

By the way Thudn Blundr, we love the Zoe, it’s such a good car, but agree it’s rubbish over speedhumps, this must be due to the additional weight.

BCbackroader said:
Go ahead and buy the PHEV. If you find the ride too harsh for your liking on rough roads, remove the large diameter wheels and low profile tires (225/55/18 on my '18 model), and replace with the next smaller dia. wheels, and tires with a taller aspect ratio (make sure that the overall dia. of the new arrangement is close to the original equipment) and sturdy all-terrain type tread pattern. If, after testing, that is still too harsh, lower the tire pressure in increments until you get the desired results.

It is common here in Canada to drop the tire pressures as much as 60% on washboard, rutted roads, with gravel, mud, or snow, remembering of course to re-inflate to normal pressures when getting back onto smooth, high speed roads. The difference in comfort, and in reduced wear on suspension components is remarkable.

This is actually a very good idea, is there outlander wheels that are 17” that you know of?

I think some of the older model years came with 17" wheels. My local dealer supplies both 17" and 16" steel wheels as part of their snow tire package, and claim that both sizes will fit our vehicle with no issues. Our bolt pattern is very common for many Japanese built vehicles, so used wheels at parts recyclers should be easy to get, and relatively affordable, compared to the ridiculous figure I was quoted for an OEM wheel to use as a spare.

I don't think the PHEV's ride quality is that bad. Can't say I ever think about poor ride quality when I'm driving it - although most likely the more expensive and better quality tyres you have the better it feels. My winter Pirellis ride a lot nicer than the standard summer R37 Toyos. Not even remotely as smooth as my Citroen Xantia 2.0 estate of (many) years gone by (or even my Citroen Ax!), or my BMW 520 of even more years gone by - but then pretty much all cars of the past had a better ride before the introduction of fashionably large diameter wheels and therefore resulting skinny tyre profiles, requiring expensive computerised suspension systems in order to iron-out the inadequate tyre profile.

I thought I read elsewhere on this forum that the more recent PHEV's can't take smaller diameter wheels (possibly 16inch) as the brake calipers get in the way?

I can't say the 2019 model Outlander PHEV is anything other than smooth, comfortable and refined. I say this also as I live in a rural area and traverse many minor B roads in the UK, some of which are rough, without any concerns or ride quality issues. The car my Outlander replaced, a 2014 Volvo V70 SE Lux, was a comfortable cruiser, and very refined indeed. The Outlander is on a par with the V70, it's pretty good.

I appreciate you may be looking at an older model though, which leads me to this point having owned many cars;

Suspension wears out, quite quickly in reality. It is not and should not be considered something which will last the life of the car. I have replaced all the suspension components on several cars, for example on my 2001 V70 T5 (springs, dampers, top mounts, wishbone bushes, roll bar bushes, drop links etc) and the transformation is astounding. Like being in a new car.

All I am saying is that if people have problems/concerns/issues with ride quality then most likely things will be worn in some area or other(s), unless the car was a poor design in the first place (which I don't think is an argument that can be levelled at the Outlander..).

I have said it before, and will no doubt say it again, the Outlander is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever driven.

I am less than 3 years into my tenure and have already clocked up 89,000 miles, every single one of which has been a pleasure. This isn't a sports car or back street scratcher, it's an 1800Kg cruiser and it does this outstandingly well. I am based just north of London, and I have no problem jumping in the car and driving to Cornwall, the other side of Ireland or Inverness. Highways, Byways and Bridle Paths, no problem - have you seen the state of the local roads in the Highlands, Western Ireland, Liverpool, Manchester and London!

I agree quality tyre brands are quieter than the Toyos but not massivley so, the powertrain is powerful enough, the seats are wonderful and the size and weight of the car help it to waft along on cruise control until I am forced to stop to fill up - again! (My worst day was three refills of 38l+) This is my only real issue, but I fully understand and accept that I am a BIK refugee, not the target user profile, so I can live with that. The other niggles like no proper cumulative trip computer data and unlit buttons on the doors I have learned to ignore. I just get in, select Save, B5, turn off the forward sonic warning and go.

It's pretty smooth on rough surfaces, and is very comfortable to drive except if you try to go around corners fast, which is a little bit like reining in a stampeding hippo. That runs smoothly.

Awesome chairs, btw.

karl said:
It's pretty smooth on rough surfaces, and is very comfortable to drive except if you try to go around corners fast, which is a little bit like reining in a stampeding hippo. That runs smoothly.

Awesome chairs, btw.

Never understand this sort of comment - mine corners faster than any other car I've owned, faster and tighter than most other cars on the racetracks of London (gains me several places :lol: ) due to low centre of gravity.

A huge thanks to all who have taken the time to write and give me their thoughts.

I am now convinced that this is the right car for us, I will definitely be back with any updates.

:D

Back