Poor Ev range

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtom

Hi All

we have just got our first outlander PHEV. its secound hand, 2015 with 40Kmiles on the clock. but the battery is only holding 15mile range when fully charged.

is there a way to see how much power the battery is holding.

thanks

The indicated range is an estimate based on recent driving statistics, as well as the battery charge state. Also with cold weather the available charge can go down. How far can you actually drive on EV power though? That's what really matters. So ECO mode on, heater off, keep the left needle in the green area etc.

Many people are only showing about 15 miles at the moment, but wait until summer (and drive economically) and you may well find it's showing 29 miles or even more.

I'm sure some more experienced people will be along with better suggestions soon.

All good ideas from Rich. To specifically answer your question regarding how much power the battery is holding I'd propose you buy a £10 smart plug (if you haven't got one), run your battery to nothing, charge it through the smart plug and see how much you cram in! :) I did it to find that my 2015 50k mile PHEV has a usable battery of no more than 7.5kw.

In truth, it was more pleasing than disappointing as it means the car was more efficient than I thought (i.e. OK, 18miles say is disappointing but at least its only costing me 7.5kw/82p and not the full 12kw/£1.32).

You could get a OBD2 device for about £10 to check what your battery's state of health is but at a basic level it won't really tell you any more than the above (how far in real world you can get and how much kw/£ it's costing to get that far).

Enjoy the peaceful drive, the more relaxed driving style it encourages and smell the roses :)

I'd add that you've got the PHEV at an awful time! Wait for the summer, for when you've got used to how to drive it, when you've replaced the Toyos with more efficient alternatives and I promise you'll be on here proud as a new father saying what distance you've managed :)

p.s. 28.5miles for me @ 10oC, I've only had mine since October

For reference, the zero level on the dashboard gauge is actually 30% battery capacity (it needs some reserve to be able to start the petrol engine, and it's never good to take the voltage too low on Li-ion cells), and it never charges right up to 100% either (again for cell longevity). So I think they're quoted at about 8.5kW useable capacity anyway, not 12kW.

Hi All

thank you for your help. as it is the wifes car i dont get to drive it :cry:

she is now getting about 93% ev with taking the kids to school and then on to work. but i am yet to teach her how the padels work behind the steering wheel. its easy for me as i picked it the secound we got the car.

it did cross my mind the time of year and temp out side. i have set the heaters to come on before unplugging so its warm ready to set off so not having to use the heaters while driving.

one thing i did look at can you set the heaters to come on twice not just the once?

we need to get it registerd to use with the app.

regarding the battery would a car diagnostics kit tell you the battery status? a friend of mine has the kit.

Check out PHEVWatchDog. It will tell you the world about your car. At the expense of buying an OBD dongle.

15 miles range is ridiculously low. My battery is due for warranty replacement and I still see about 18 miles on the GOM.

As richr says you can only charge max 9kw. 3kw always remain in the battery

anko said:
Check out PHEVWatchDog. It will tell you the world about your car. At the expense of buying an OBD dongle.

15 miles range is ridiculously low. My battery is due for warranty replacement and I still see about 18 miles on the GOM.
Any specific tips to get battery replacement under warranty please?

anko said:
That may well be the case in the Netherlands. I see 15 miles at the moment because the guessometer has 'learnt' that I have to traverse numerous hills on my local journeys.

ChrisMiller said:
anko said:
That may well be the case in the Netherlands. I see 15 miles at the moment because the guessometer has 'learnt' that I have to traverse numerous hills on my local journeys.

It is very much a question of driving style and pattern of usage. My guessometer rarely shows more than 20 miles even in warm weather and in the cold it can easily get down to 15 miles. Achieved distances are little, if any, better. This is not down to battery age or condition - mine has been pretty consistent since the day it was delivered new.

Common guys. I would like to believe that when driving style or terrain plays a major role in reduced ev range, people will be very much aware of this and at least mention these conditions. Yeah I know, I am being naive.

Not that cold, though?
I was told to expect only 2/3 of range in Winter.
Just shows how much people really know about these things.
In Summer, there'll be AirCon to consider - just cannot win.

Something that these things soon teach you, if you monitor the energy consumption, is how much fuel is used to power your accessories. :shock:

twosout said:
Not that cold, though?
I was told to expect only 2/3 of range in Winter.
Just shows how much people really know about these things.
In Summer, there'll be AirCon to consider - just cannot win.

Something that these things soon teach you, if you monitor the energy consumption, is how much fuel is used to power your accessories. :shock:

aircon is much easier than heater.

You can turn off heater and check again the ev range.

Go on long journey ? 150 miles. Deplete the battery to hilt but driven economically 55-57 mph. Come back and charge, see whats on guessometer. Have a try.

Back