Mitsubishi's stupidity and pride in forking MY2019 for USA

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodman411

The subject says it. Please allow me to explain. Mitsubishi decided that USA (along with Canada and Australia) would not get the fully updated model the rest of the world got for MY2019 - USA will get a forked model, meaning updated body, old powertrain. The fully updated model will probably come a year later as MY2020, whenever MY2019 shows up (it's February and no MY2019 in sight, so at least February-May 2020 for MY2020). I know why they did this - but underlying this decision, is Mitsubishi's misplaced pride, which is where the stupidity comes in. Please allow me to explain further.

Unlike the rest of the world, USA received the world version of MY2016-2018 for the first time in December of 2017. Mere months later, at the Geneva Auto Show, Mitsubishi announced the heavily revised MY2019. I thought, maybe they will wait a full year before allowing this version to arrive in the USA, giving early adopters some time to enjoy what really is an already 3-year old product. This is where the pride comes in: Mitsubishi must have convinced themselves that as the "only affordable midsize SUV PHEV" on the market (this is the overwhelming tone and message I got when I directly messaged Mitsubishi about this), it could go another year or two in the USA with the old powertrain, hence the disappointing decision to create a forked version, which still isn't here.

This is why the pride is stupidity: even though the Outlander PHEV only shares its space now with the smaller Subaru Crosstrek PHEV, later this year will come Ford's and Hyundai's SUV PHEV entries. Both entries, like the Subaru, are riding on all-new platforms, not the old, tired one the Outlander has been wearing since 2012 (the Outlander PHEV is really a messy patchwork of updates, as can be seen from some areas where it seems new, like Android Auto/Apple Carplay, whereas everything else in and around the infotainment seems like from 10 years ago. Same thing on the exterior - new LED headlights, mixed in with 2012 SUV styling). This is an "if". A big multi-one. If Ford's Escape PHEV manages to match or slightly exceed the Outlander's drive battery, and if they can match the price, and if they don't mess up the styling, and if they hopefully implement 4WD with two electric motors, there will be no reason to choose the Outlander over the Ford. None. The Ford will not only look fresh from the ground up, inside and out, but riding a new platform, its handling will no doubt run circles around the Outlander. If Mitsubishi thinks they're on equal footing with the competition a year from now because the specs are close, they are fooling themselves, because it's obvious to everyone except the blind that the Outlander is a very dated product. And if Ford misfires in a big way, then there is still Hyundai to deal with (Santa Fe PHEV), and if the electric Kona is any indication, it is unlikely they will misfire much.

Which hopefully explains why it was so important for Mitsubishi to bring the fully updated MY2019 to USA *now*, not 1 1/2 years from now. Because at least for me, I would have definitely bought it. Now, I will wait for Ford's entry, and Hyundai's. And chances are, because of Mitsubishi's stupidity and pride, they will lose a customer. Rant over :)

The USA took over four years to grant approval to the smaller-engined version. The rest of the world was able to drive it since 2013. I think Mitsubishi was not willing to enter into a new fight with officialdom over an engine upgrade, especially with the present-day administration's protectionist attitude.
If you don't like the car, don't buy it. There are hundreds of products I don't like and thus don't buy. Posting rants on internet forums would take up all my time and would be singularly futile.

If it's any comfort, I'm not sure how much of an improvement the bigger engine is.

True, the market is promising more choice in the near future.
Interesting times, if you can be patient.

So you don't think that there might be some other regulatory, manufacturing or financial reason, and the local subsidiary did a little spinning to cover it up? No, I guess they're just idiots in the car business and you know far better than them.

I agree that it is much more likely that it is the approvals process that has slowed the intro of the new version. I would add that Mitsu has now got 5 years+ experience with the PHEV technology so newer models from other manufacturers may well have to go through teething problems before they achieve the same level of reliability and performance.

The decision to offer MY2019 with 2L engine was made back in June last year, according to CARB doc.

It is my opinion that this PHEV is still very competitive in the USA market in its price range. The MMNA goal has been selling ~4000units per year, so there is no incentive to bring the 2.4L if the 2L is doing the job.

If the depreciation of this PHEV is similar to the Volt, the price of an used one in a couple of year, when the typical 3 year leasing car are sold in auctions, would be around $15K. By then it is probably best time to bring a brand new Outlander. I am expecting MMNA leapfrog the MY2019 European model all together here in the US.

My advice will be to lease the MY2018 while wait for the PHEV/BEV boom in 2020. There is alway the chance that you will fall in love with this PHEV and its 2L engine...

Tai

Maybe the US's reputation for litigation has driven Mitsubishi to make sure everything is absolutely tested and proven before introducing it to the US market?

The timing in various EU and other countries is also interesting with respect to recalls and how long the local distributor can leave it before admitting there needs to be a recall....I'm thinking Mitsubishi UK here apparently being well behind both other EU countries and Australia! The US had a recall almost immediately after introduction - rear brake calipers I think - but it UK took months before sending out the same recall notices and on cars that had significant usage too!

Back