Electrical Usage

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topcat

Took delivery of my Outlander PHEV on 9th Jan and have noted my monthly Jan electricity usage has risen from 750Kwh to nearly 1000Kwh (UK). I am using the 13A charger as still await installation of home charging point. Can someone comment if this usage increase of 250Kwh would be expected and is the normal trade off for less filling up at petrol pump. Does anyone have average figures for this increase. Wish to know if I need to look for another culprit other than car charging for my electricity usage rise. Thanks.

Yes, electricity does not come free!
You could assume about 10kWh per charge (to keep the arithmetic easy)
250kWh would be about 25charges. So you recharge from empty, perhaps, every week day?
I add the cost of fuel used to that of electric charging and am averaging around 12.5p/mile.
It's actually a bit less than that because some of my 'leccy comes from solar.

My Dec consumption was 250 kWh, but Jan only 170kWh (a 'quieter' month).

A good rule of thumb is that every extra penny spent on electricity for recharging saves 3p at the pump. So increased 'leccy' bills are to be welcomed :).

PS The car keeps track of all the electricity it consumes (daily for the last 30 recharges and then monthly for the last year).

Back