mpg on long trips

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davestevens

Seriously considering a phev but a little confused about range and have been told different things.

My main daily use is the school run totalling around 40 miles per day and happy that I will make significant savings

However I am informed by the dealer for a run of say 200 miles I would achieve around 80 mpg combined electric/petrol and yet on a utube video it says around 40 mpg.

Can anyone enlighten me on what the true mpg would be approx.

Thanks

As with any type of fuel usage in any type of vehicle it depends :) - mainly on how fast you drive and how much up and down is involved. But on a 200 mile trip mainly on motorway and starting with a fully charged battery, I think 40 mpg would be reasonable (motorway cruising starting from an empty battery gives me ~35 mpg). Your 40 mile daily trip should be mostly on battery (particularly if you can recharge between morning and afternoon), so petrol mpg will be much higher. I think with your usage pattern, 80 mpg overall would be achievable, depending on how many 200+ mile trips you do - I've averaged 80 mpg over 23,000 miles with similar usage (if I adjust for the cost of electricity, that brings it down to below 60 mpg, which is still pretty good for a large-ish 4x4.

The problem with quoted mpg figures is that they totally ignore the electrical contribution.
It makes any mpg figure meaningless.
The car may tempt you to drive more patiently and return better fuel consumption as a result.
I think my "raw" mpg is around 30mpg, overall, after taking away assumed EV contributions.
Overall, I've achieved 70mpg but (as said above) I think that's pretty meaningless.
On longer (steady) journeys I'd expect to return about 40mpg if not thrashing it.
Electricity costs me 14.7p/kWh and petrol £1.18/litre. Overall, that's making it 12.5p/mile.
(UK/imperial measure)

On my round trips of 230 miles I get around 40 mpg, starting with a fully charged battery. Mostly "A" roads, about half dual carriageway, 20 miles "B" roads. Hope that helps.

Below 100 miles you can get 80mpg at 50 -55mph. Over 100miles plus 42mpg for me

Similar to the Prius we had some years ago, the PHEV generally gets better gas mileage in the city vs. the highway.

At higher speeds the fuel consumption increases quite a bit. Recently I did a little test on a 600km round trip. The temperature was just below freezing (say -2 Celsius) and the roads were mostly dry. On the 300km drive south the speed averaged over 120km/h and consumption was about 10.5 liters/100km (~27 mpg). It wasn't windy, but the prevailing winds are generally from the south so that may have contributed to the high consumption. On 300km trip back north (same day) the average speed was closer to 100km/h and consumption was only 7.5 l/100km (~38 mpg).

My daily driving is mostly within the PHEV's electric range so the ICE doesn't usually get used.

Back