Outlander GX4H 2016 vs 4H 2017

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jl0384

Hi,

I hope I've come to the right forum. Apologies if this question has been asked before but I need some advice on which to go for.

On Saturday I'm about to pick up my Outlander GX4H 2016 car but have come across the 4h that the manufacturer is selling at an extra cost of £5k.

Is there enough features for me to fork out the extra cash on the 4h model? I read that 4H has an EV priority mode that is swaying me to go for this and apparently the suspensions have also been improved. There's also the apple carplay that the 4H comes with, which would benefit me as I'm an iphone user but are all these extras justifiable? Is the upgraded suspension on the 4h worth it?

My main concern with the GX4H is that there's no EV priority and I tend to have a heavy foot so, would I be using more petrol than electric?

I'm going to use the car for city driving and, its really a weekend car.

Here in the UK, the the GX4H is the only model from Outlander that do not charge road tax and I from my understanding, the 2017 4H model, the road tax is now at £140 pa.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there.

The 2017 comes with the EV button which is handy if all your journeys are in EV range and you're a bit lead footed. However hit ECO and keep the power gauge in the green zone and you won't start the ICE.
I'm not sure the 2017 has Apple/Google Carplay function, my 2017 didn't, I think that appeared on the 2018 model.
The HS version is worth looking at. The various warning noises can be annoying but it reduces your insurance significantly. It also gives you the 'follow the car ahead' cruise function.

All 2017 Mitsubishi PHEVs including the 4H have zero road tax if first registration is before 1st April 2017. If registered after then they are all taxed and if its a 4HS its very high road tax!
Personally I like using the EV button - it certainly does discourage the engine from starting - particularly useful in colder weather.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

I'm really torn at the moment. I've been doing a lot of research on the topic and I can only really see the EV button as the diffential here between the GX4h and 4h model that I'm looking at.

The question I have to decide on is whether that 'EV' priority button is worth the extra £5k lol.

No one has boasted about the improved suspension from the 2016 over the 2017 model so I take it you won't really feel this. I also thought the 2017 4h model came with apple car play and apparently it doesn't.

Typical first world problems lol.

Personally (as a 2015 GX4H owner), I'd say you can probably live without the EV button. It's not too difficult to keep it in EV mode if you want to if the battery has charge in it, and to be honest you're buying a PHEV not a BEV so should expect to use a bit of petrol every now and then anyway. Minimising the chance of the engine starting by using the procedure of turning the heater off (or at around the same temperature the car interior is already) and pressing the ECO button (or be gentle with your right foot) isn't really that big an effort for me at least. If it was only £250 between the two, then maybe worth going for the newer one, but £5000 buys a lot of petrol...

Or just be like my wife who gets in, sticks it in D and just drives without worrying about what's powering the wheels. Somehow she seems to get better mpg than me on the motorway and I can't figure out why! Think it might be because I use cruise control more than she does.

Thanks everyone for the response and opinions.

I think I have in mind what I want now.

Also looked into the Chargemaster home charging kits and they are the cheapest around, although the cables tend to be quite expensive for a universal one.

Back