Bad UI

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mort

I am sure there is a related thread however I cant find it in the search engine.
The UI in the PHEV is terrible compared to my 13 Volt.
It drives me crazy that if I want to utilize the defroster on my 14 mile round trip commute the engine starts!
This is completely unnecessary.
Currently to prevent it I have to select EV, ECO, Auto on climate, Mode button three times to get to defrost/foot well.
Then if I forget to turn off climate when I leave the car the next start cycle the vehicle immediately starts the dam engine.
God I wish Tesla would start production of the "Y"
Is there a fix for this?
:evil:

Why shouldn't it start the engine? It's a PHEV not a BEV, so has a petrol engine that's really good at producing heat quickly.

As in previous posts, some people seem to have been misled or have misunderstood about what a PHEV is. It is not an EV car with a range extending generator. The petrol engine is an integral part of the drivetrain and the heating system and indeed for anything over the average commute petrol is the main source of power. Yes it's possible to make it work like a pure EV by manually turning things off, but that's not how it was designed to be used.

richr said:
Yes it's possible to make it work like a pure EV by manually turning things off, but that's not how it was designed to be used.

And may contribute to the early battery failure that seems to be a risk with the PHEV - it's a small battery pack in a car that was designed to run as a hybrid, not a pure EV.

Common guys. BEV or no BEV, the fact that you cannot prevent the ICE from starting up (other than through very thorough planning upfront), even when moving the car just 20 meters in order to relocate it from a charge bay to a normal parking bay, is inexcusable!

I think over the 5+ years of ownership, my ICE must have made at least 300 - 400 cold starts that have not resulted in any power being delivered to the wheels or battery or heat being delivered to the exterior. Also inexcusable. If I had known upfront, I don't think I would have bought an Outlander PHEV to begin with.

But what annoys me is the fact that in 2019 people still buy this car and are 'caught by surprise' and bitch about it. Unlike back in 2012 when I signed my purchase order, there is so much info on the internet describing this behaviour. How can one not know? If you are okay with this behaviour that is all fine. But if you are not, why not sort it out up front? I know. I know. Assumptions .... :mrgreen:

anko said:
Common guys. BEV or no BEV, the fact that you cannot prevent the ICE from starting up (other than through very thorough planning upfront), even when moving the car just 20 meters in order to relocate it from a charge bay to a normal parking bay, is inexcusable!

I think over the 5+ years of ownership, my ICE must have made at least 300 - 400 cold starts that have not resulted in any power being delivered to the wheels or battery or heat being delivered to the exterior. Also inexcusable. If I had known upfront, I don't think I would have bought an Outlander PHEV to begin with.

But what annoys me is the fact that in 2019 people still buy this car and are 'caught by surprise' and bitch about it. Unlike back in 2012 when I signed my purchase order, there is so much info on the internet describing this behaviour. How can one not know? If you are okay with this behaviour that is all fine. But if you are not, why not sort it out up front? I know. I know. Assumptions .... :mrgreen:

How deep somebody need to study a car before buy it ?

When I order my BMW X1 ... I did not even seen it ... I just trust BMW ... so I just needed to check high level features /specs and design ...

People assume that designers of the car are not "lazy" (I would like to use a different world, but I know some people are sensible over the reputation of the Mitsubishi engineers )

The problem is a pain for every Outlander PHEV owner since 2013 ... how is possible that they still did not fix after 6 years ?

How complicated it is to make ECU or EV ... sticky ... and remember it on the next start up ?

So ... should we blame somebody for not have done his "homework" before buying his car ... or Mitsubishi for not be able to do the "basic" ?

anko said:
Sell it and move on.

You told me something similar back at the time I did got my PHEV

I can tell you .. this type of reply just don't help

Sell and move on ... it is something not possible ... and it is super annoying to get this feedback

mort said:
I am sure there is a related thread however I cant find it in the search engine.
It drives me crazy that if I want to utilize the defroster on my 14 mile round trip commute the engine starts!
Currently to prevent it I have to select EV, ECO, Auto on climate, Mode button three times to get to defrost/foot well.
Then if I forget to turn off climate when I leave the car the next start cycle the vehicle immediately starts the dam engine.
Is there a fix for this?

The best solution .. it is to always switch off ventilation, ideally having this set to 15C before without AC ... before switch off the car .. so on next restart the ICE will not kick in.

If concern you to have unwanted / unneeded ICE start ... you will get familiar with the clicks before switch off, and the sequence of click after switch on again the car.

At the end .. it will become routine in few days/weeks of usage

PS: I suggest to make the keyfob hack ... for activate the defrost from a double click on keyfob ... this hack is the best feature in my PHEV ... it is more convenient to have the car defrosted before starting the trip, than do it "later"

elm70 said:
anko said:
Sell it and move on.

Sell and move on ... it is something not possible ... and it is super annoying to get this feedback

To me it is as annoying to (have to) read this kind of bashing stuff over and over again, from people who had a chance to find out up front:

mort said:
the dam engine.
BTW: From his Tesla Model Y comment, it seems selling IS a viable option to him.

elm70 said:
The problem is a pain for every Outlander PHEV owner since 2013 ...

I guess i am not a PHEV owner by your definition - the whole issue doesn't bother me and is no pain at all... :roll:
Speak for yourself, and not for others. :x

mort said:
Is there a fix for this?
What's the big deal? Every single one of Toyota's HEVs operates this way. There's a 10 second delay after start-up during which you MUST select EV mode if you do not want the ICE to start. If you do not select EV mode within 10 seconds, the ICE fires and continues running until the coolant temperature surpasses 70°C.

And BTW, the PHEV will NOT fire its ICE whenever the climate control is set, even if you have heat selected. It ONLY does it if the outside temperature is below a certain threshold (or if the difference between the outside temperature and the set point is above a certain threshold, I haven't figured out which). But in any case, I've never, ever seen the ICE fire if it's above about 10°C outside. If it's really that cold outside, you really *should* be using the ICE. The ICE is a very, very efficient heater.

I was driving around in the snow last weekend up in the Sierra Nevada (near Tahoe) in my PHEV and I had the heat cranked up to around 28-30°C and aimed directly at the windshield, otherwise I'd get ice forming on the window (actually even WITH the heat running, I sometimes got ice forming on the windows). I ran the rear defroster to try to keep ice off the rear window as well, but keeping windows ice-free was hard with snowfall rates of about 1-2" per hour. I ran in Save mode nearly the entire time and I certainly enjoyed the "free" heat from the ICE. But unlike all of the ICE only cars, I wasn't wasting gas idling the engine needlessly in the huge traffic jam on the way up. Oh, and I saw a Tesla Model X being towed. I didn't ask what happened, but I think the traffic jam getting up to the mountains and having to run the heater to prevent ice from forming on the window had something to do with it. PHEVs certainly have their disadvantages compared to BEVs (small batteries, lots of battery cycles and degradation, crappy acceleration in EV mode, etc) but when you're in a very cold place, you do appreciate having that ICE to keep you warm. And severe cold is absolutely devastating to BEVs, which can lose 40-60% of their range (which may have also contributed to that Model X needing a tow). Oh, BTW, the 4WD lock mode in the PHEV works REALLY well in the snow! Wheels never ever slipped when backing out of parking spaces.

jaapv said:
elm70 said:
The problem is a pain for every Outlander PHEV owner since 2013 ...

I guess i am not a PHEV owner by your definition - the whole issue doesn't bother me and is no pain at all... :roll:
Speak for yourself, and not for others. :x

Right ... yes ... it is enough one person don't agree out of 100.000 PHEV owner, and my sentence is technically wrong.

Still ... For me is "self evident" ... that the meaning of my text, if read without hyper critics eyes, it should sounds that this is a pain for most of the user since 2013

The fact that it is a pain for most (at least many) of users is very evident (but I guess this can be questioned, as it was already, since hyper critics eyes might not even accept that humans have been on the moon, or that the earth is flat or spherical):
Anyhow ... the hard evidence is:
- Somebody decided to commercialize a patch for this "defect"
- Somebody feel annoyed about how often this problem is repeated in this forum
- Tons or people report this as an issue on Facebook too.

Still ... maybe I'm missing something ... what I see, is an over reaction on a simple comment.

In my "modest view" : I believe too many people are too sensible about Mitsubishi .. and anybody that try to criticize any design decision ... it needs to be immediately blamed and scourged

anko said:
elm70 said:
anko said:
Sell it and move on.

To me it is as annoying to (have to) read this kind of bashing stuff over and over again, from people who had a chance to find out up front:

Why you have to read ?

Anyhow ... since this issue has not been address after over 5 years and multiple models ... I believe "repetitia juvant"

Let people to complain of an issue that is not solved since year, on a regular base, it might help to keep the attention of the designers, and maybe this will help to get a "correction"

Also ... I don't believe the majority of the people buy a car after an in deep analysis ... nor I believe people should do this analysis ... in my view a person which has a trust on a car brand, can assume that the most logical decisions have been properly implemented.

The fact that people keep complaining may equally indicate that the do not understand the design decision. If you trust car designers so much (and remember, Mitsubishi does not only build cars, but also things like supertankers, aircraft and spacecraft), you may assume that the system they have chosen is the most efficient according to their calculations, tests and computer simulations. Those are more useful than Internet mob rule.

jaapv said:
The fact that people keep complaining may equally indicate that the do not understand the design decision. If you trust car designers so much (and remember, Mitsubishi does not only build cars, but also things like supertankers, aircraft and spacecraft), you may assume that the system they have chosen is the most efficient according to their calculations, tests and computer simulations. Those are more useful than Internet mob rule.

Right .. maybe lot of people don't understand the value of the Mitsubishi decisions.
Still ... Somebody did even invest quite some time and money for make an aftermarket "patch" ... quite an effort for somebody that should have a poor understanding of this PHEV, based on your comment above.

Anyhow ... NO ... the fact that Mitsubishi does make aircraft, tanks or whatever ... does not make them a better car producer

What should give trust in a brand, is their history and the size of their production ... in this aspect Mitsubishi is not really "strong"

elm70 said:
anko said:

Why you have to read ?
I knew this would be coming (most likely from you). So, I put "have to" in parenthesis. And yet, you could not help yourself :roll:

anko said:
elm70 said:
anko said:

Why you have to read ?
I knew this would be coming (most likely from you). So, I put "have to" in parenthesis. And yet, you could not help yourself :roll:

I guess you must also believe in "repetitia juvant"

Back