EV priority mode. How to enter it according to MMC.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trex

Hi folks,

I have seen some differing opinions about how you enter EV priority mode in the newer PHEVs. From having 10 sec to press the EV button while being in Ready mode to stop the petrol motor starting in cold weather to pressing the Ev priority mode button and power switch at the same time. Now that might work but Mitsubishi specifically state you should enter it this way:

1. Press power switch twice without depressing the brake pedal. This puts the PHEV in ON mode and indicator light on power switch will be blue.
2. Press Ev priority button.
3. Depress brake pedal and press power switch again to enter Ready mode. Indicator light on power switch will switch off.

Now the good thing about starting the PHEV this way is you can adjust settings on the climate control panel on the old model PHEVs, those without the EV priority button, while in ON mode to help keep the petrol motor off in cold weather ie turn off the climate control or lower the temp setting to its lowest value so the petrol motor will, hopefully, not start. So do 1. then adjust climate control or turn climate control off then go straight to 3.

Now what does the EV priority mode do. This from Mitsubishi:

"To drive the vehicle without starting the engine as much as possible, the EV priority mode can be used.

This mode helps drive the vehicle at a place needed for concern of noises and exhaust gas emissions, such as residential areas etc. To switch to the EV priority mode, press the EV switch with operation mode of the power switch in ON. If the EV switch is pressed, you can drive the vehicle by using only the EV drive mode as much as possible, even if the accelerator pedal is roughly depressed. To cancel the EV priority mode, press the EV switch again. When the operation mode of the power switch is put in OFF, the EV priority mode will be cancelled.

If the ambient temperature is low, the engine may start for heating when the Plug-in Hybrid EV system is started with climate control on. If you want to stop the engine running, select the EV priority mode with the operation mode of the power switch in ON before starting the Plug-in Hybrid EV system."

Now you can specifically see in those statements by Mitsubishi above about pressing the EV priority button when the power switch is in ON mode and not while in Ready mode.

Regards Trex.

Trex said:
1. Press power switch twice without depressing the brake pedal. This puts the PHEV in ON mode and indicator light on power switch will be blue.
3. Depress brake pedal and press power switch again to enter Ready mode. Indicator light on power switch will switch off.

Since you are a good friend of Mitsubishi

Tell them that they desperately need UI/UX training ... especially their top management need to get a lot of training

These odd procedures are good if people might want to hack the car (for get an Easter eggs) ... but are not acceptable for a daily normal car usage.

Possibly in Japan and Australia people did not realize we are in the 3rd Millennium since a while now ... "modern people" expect to use any device (car included) without having to read more then 2 pages of quick user manual and without the need to memorize odd procedures

I expect the next model will include a "flight checklist holder" so you can mount a list of all the options to check and buttons to press before setting off. That's also probably why the communication system takes so long to boot up. It gives you time to remember everything you have to do when you get in. ;)

My guess is that that since MMC are marketing this as a "PLUGGABLE" hybrid they figure that most folks will want to drive a hybrid and if they want a pure EV they will buy one. As far as the convoluted method to go into pure EV mode it's most likely a debug or test thing (I'm really guessing here). Honestly, this whole discussion seems to be a bit silly :)

I want to drive mine in EV mode for all my local driving when I know I am within range, and as a hybrid for longer journeys. Running in EV mode is really easy (especially if you have owned an earlier MY and got used to turning the heating down at end of journey). Full power up, go into EV mode, turn up heating if wanted. Simples.
Of course EV mode, like other things, should be sticky. But I'll live with it :lol:

rgilyead said:
I expect the next model will include a "flight checklist holder" ................
:lol: :lol:
Thanks for the laugh rgilyead.

I have been a pilot for over 40 years. I went solo on my 16th birthday (the youngest age you can do so here in Australia at the time) while still at school before I could legally drive a car by myself on public roads. So before and after I was 16 while still at school I had a weekend job to pay for my pilot training (which I mostly went to on a pushbike in the early days) and still found some time to surf on a board and be a clubbie ie trained surf lifesaver.

I have flown private aircraft that include twin engine with separate starters and 2 magnetos (that need testing before take off) for each engine, with throttle, pitch and mixture controls for each engine, 2 electrically driven cowl flaps, electrically driven flaps and retractable undercarriage, turbocharged with turbine inlet temperature gauges, multiple fuel tanks with switches, Cabin pressurization, Radar, 2 VOR, 2 ILS, 2 ADF, GPS, Flight Director and Autopilot, Slaved HSI, Transponder, 2 VHF radios, 1 HF radio, deicing boots and heated windscreen and 2 heated pitot tubes, lights that include landing and taxi lights (separate), strobe lights, rotating beacon, nav lights, ice lights. There is more that I will not bore you with which include all those buttons and levers and gauges to control those systems. I need written checklists to professionally operate those systems and some memorised checklists for emergencies as I fly single pilot operations most of the time ie I mostly have no co-pilot to help me, unlike my close friends that I trained with and are now Captains in Qantas Airline flying large jets.

Yep, remembering to push a few buttons and the brake pedal on the PHEV is just like flying a plane. :lol:

I hope you were exaggerating just a little with that statement rgilyead. ;) :lol:

Ps Having told no one at school I was flight training and then my fellow students and teachers and others seeing my photo and story in the newspaper, I was dobbed in to the newspaper by my CFI (Chief Flying Instructor), after I went solo (must have been a big deal at the time going solo on your 16th birthday :? ) I suddenly started having many more so called friends. ;) I especially liked those pretty girls in my class that tended to chase the older guys with cars suddenly showing more of a interest in me. :cool:

mellobob said:
As far as the convoluted method to go into pure EV mode it's most likely a debug or test thing (I'm really guessing here). Honestly, this whole discussion seems to be a bit silly :)

Err mellobob,

Ev priority mode is not pure EV mode ie under certain circumstances the PHEV will still use the petrol motor.

The only way I have ever had pure EV mode in the PHEV was when I posted this under the title "I now have a pure Ev mode." From memory I was the first person to have done this to the PHEV that I had read about anywhere. See http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1326 written Tue Mar 17, 2015:

Trex said:
Hi,

I now have pure Ev mode on my Phev ie foot flat to the floor on the accelerator and no Petrol motor starting up.

How did I do it? I pulled the fuel pump fuse (under the hood) and then ran the motor out of fuel (I used charge button because the Hv battery was low enough for it to start the Petrol motor) until it stopped (took less than 1 minute). Then I drove on Ev mode about town and tested it.

Well all I can say is it is unreal. :D Foot flat to the floor and getting the full 60kW of the Hv battery is still a heap of power around town here in our 60kph zones, where we drive everyday, and no accidental start of Petrol motor. We hardly ever use petrol running around through the week. Weekends are the only time we sometimes go on trips outside of Ev range. Everything seemed to run perfectly except no Petrol motor start.

Now the negatives of this test:

1. Yes the dash lights up with warnings and these could be logged on the computer in the Phev to be seen by the service department. I will check later with my son's ScanGauge (when I see him) and see what is logged and if they are can they be cleared.
2. After stopping the Phev and restarting later the Petrol motor ran (after pressing charge button again) for a little while (maybe 30 sec) and again ran out of petrol. Warnings were off until this happened (ran out of petrol) and then they came back on. Obviously a little fuel gets back into the Petrol motor.

Edit. I have now put the fuse back in the Phev and all warnings have gone from the dash and Petrol motor is running perfectly.

Now the disclaimer: I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS PROCEDURE. For obvious reasons.

This was just a TEST to see what it is like in a pure Ev mode where we use my Phev around 90% of the time (60kph zones). It was great. I know the reasons Mitsubishi have for starting the Petrol motor ie need of extra power in a emergency etc but it seemed to me to have plenty of acceleration unless I was drag racing at the traffic lights.

What I would like from Mitsubishi is a "soft" stop on the accelerator so I can easily press down with my foot and stay in Ev mode and if more power is needed push through the "soft" stop and then bring in the Petrol motor. Or a Hv battery that can discharge at 120 kW. :D

Regards Trex.

Others went onto using that particular way of having pure EV mode from memory including one person that was going to put a switch in series with the fuel pump fuse.

Now as for the "convoluted method" you mention I have seen people complain about the limited time you have to go into Ev priority mode when entering it while in Ready mode before the petrol engine starts because of the cold weather. Using this method:

You have no limited time to worry about. :D

Plus the fact like I said in the first post:

Trex said:
Now the good thing about starting the PHEV this way is you can adjust settings on the climate control panel on the old model PHEVs, those without the EV priority button, while in ON mode to help keep the petrol motor off in cold weather ie turn off the climate control or lower the temp setting to its lowest value so the petrol motor will, hopefully, not start. So do 1. then adjust climate control or turn climate control off then go straight to 3.

So the same method can help the old PHEVs as well if you forget to turn off or turn down the climate control. :cool:

But it up to the individual how you enter EV priority mode (or even how you start it). The good thing is Mitsubishi have given us multiple choices ie in ON mode with no time limit or Ready mode with a time limit. But Mitsubishi specifically state using the first. :)

ps44 said:
I want to drive mine in EV mode for all my local driving when I know I am within range, and as a hybrid for longer journeys. Running in EV mode is really easy (especially if you have owned an earlier MY and got used to turning the heating down at end of journey). Full power up, go into EV mode, turn up heating if wanted. Simples.
Of course EV mode, like other things, should be sticky. But I'll live with it :lol:

Like I said before you do not have to get "used to turning the heating down at end of journey". It can be done at the start as well with a small difference in how you start the PHEV. See my first post above.

I am not sure we can have stickies for some of the things we want like EV priority mode. But I will still be asking MMC those questions very soon.

I think we need to look at it this way. The PHEV is a Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle. Pure EV is not what Mitsubishi had in mind for the PHEV from what they have shown me and I have learnt at this point in time. But they have tried to give us some optional ways to help us run in pure EV as much as possible if we want. These include the Ev priority mode on the newer PHEVs and even turning down or off the heating in the PHEV models with the electric heater.

Now I am up to 4th Hybrid or HEV. My first 2 were a Toyota Prius and a Camry owned at the same time and now I own 2 Plug-in HEVs or PHEVs made by Mitsubishi. The bloody things have always used petrol and are designed to do so. I get sick of people complaining here about using petrol. FFS buy a pure EV if that is what you want IMHO ie never to burn petrol. Or pull out that fuel pump fuse like I mentioned previously. Or use some of the optional ways to try and keep the petrol motor off.

But at least Mitsubishi have given us some optional ways to help try and keep the petrol motor off. Toyota with their tiny drive batteries in their standard HEVs you never had much bloody choice. But Toyota Hybrids or HEVs still did everything for me they advertised like greatly reduce the fuel consumption compared to conventional vehicles.

The mighty Outlander PHEV does it even better for me ie reduces fuel consumption to even lower levels than those Toyota HEVs or any conventional car I have owned or driven. But I still burn petrol sometimes just as it was designed. :D

Pure EV cars are not suitable for my majority use just yet. ;)

And certainly pushing a couple of buttons to optionally force the PHEV to stay in EV mode as much as possible is no biggie to me. Might be because I am a relaxed born and bred Aussie with bigger fish to fry and with bigger challenges to put my mind to. But I still love learning new "stuff" about the mighty PHEV when I get the chance.

Trex said:
ps44 said:

Like I said before you do not have to get "used to turning the heating down at end of journey". It can be done at the start as well with a small difference in how you start the PHEV. See my first post above.

I am not sure we can have stickies for some of the things we want like EV priority mode. But I will still be asking MMC those questions very soon.

I think we need to look at it this way. The PHEV is a Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle. Pure EV is not what Mitsubishi had in mind for the PHEV from what they have shown me and I have learnt at this point in time. But they have tried to give us some optional ways to help us run in pure EV as much as possible if we want. These include the Ev priority mode on the newer PHEVs and even turning down or off the heating in the PHEV models with the electric heater.

Now I am up to 4th Hybrid or HEV. My first 2 were a Toyota Prius and a Camry owned at the same time and now I own 2 Plug-in HEVs or PHEVs made by Mitsubishi. The bloody things have always used petrol and are designed to do so. I get sick of people complaining here about using petrol. FFS buy a pure EV if that is what you want IMHO ie never to burn petrol. Or pull out that fuel pump fuse like I mentioned previously. Or use some of the optional ways to try and keep the petrol motor off.

But at least Mitsubishi have given us some optional ways to help try and keep the petrol motor off. Toyota with their tiny drive batteries in their standard HEVs you never had much bloody choice. But Toyota Hybrids or HEVs still did everything for me they advertised like greatly reduce the fuel consumption compared to conventional vehicles.

The mighty Outlander PHEV does it even better for me ie reduces fuel consumption to even lower levels than those Toyota HEVs or any conventional car I have owned or driven. But I still burn petrol sometimes just as it was designed. :D

Pure EV cars are not suitable for my majority use just yet. ;)

And certainly pushing a couple of buttons to optionally force the PHEV to stay in EV mode as much as possible is no biggie to me. Might be because I am a relaxed born and bred Aussie with bigger fish to fry and with bigger challenges to put my mind to. But I still love learning new "stuff" about the mighty PHEV when I get the chance.

Trex said:
I know and agree. I'm not suggesting that you do - but just commenting that as an upgraded owner with an ingrained habit that there is another way to do this which effectively does the same thing, and gives you a cleaner start process.
Against my particular use pattern of this vehicle, it's fine either way.

So I was turning this over in my head again while driving this morning, and concluded that I need to unlearn turning down the heating - except possibly on very cold days but I can't test this for 6 months....

Seems to me that I can leave the heating set at my normal 20C, and do the start up as Mitsi suggest. That way EV mode is on before the system is fully started and ICE shouldn't start unless battery is low. Btw, I now recall that when I collected the 19MY this sequence is exactly what the guy doing the handover told me to do, knowing I was upgrading from 16MY. Should have listened harder !

Back