Charging points in UK

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgilyead

Latest stats on charging points by district in UK: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47696839

My own area is poorly served with 9 points of which only 5 are accessible to the public and 3 of those are on business premises where they would expect you to be a customer rather than just in need of a charge.

How well are your areas covered?

I can understand people being put off by the poor infrastructure but I'm not convinced there's much of a need for much better.
A hybrid can continue on conventional fuel.
New EVs have a decent range, suitable for most journeys.

I too am not bothered at the moment as I've got a reasonably efficient 2.0 litre petrol generator that I take with me under the bonnet. :)

Charging at home is what PHEVs are designed for (and that's how they're pitched by Audi, VW, BMW, Peugeot, Renault and others as well) as their target market is the people who have off-street parking and drive under 20 miles a day with the occasional longer trip that is beyond battery range (which actually turns out to be quite a high percentage of motorists in developed countries worldwide). Being able to charge when at an office or shop is a bonus, but not a necessity for a PHEV. Generally it's no cheaper than using petrol so not really worth worrying about that much with a PHEV.

If you have a BEV then yes, it could be an issue - although that would probably have influenced your choice in buying one. Again though, many modern BEVs can do 250 miles on a charge, which isn't that different to what a lot of petrol cars do. But a lack of charging facilities might mean you couldn't go an a camping holiday in the Highlands of Scotland with a BEV for example.

I'm sure more will be installed - there's a huge amount of money available to councils to install public ones, and incentives for businesses and places like hotels and shopping centers too.

Or maybe there'll be a market for PHEV hire cars :)

Back