Outlander auto hold brake power.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tai626

Just happened this weekend with all family on board. Stop and go traffic in freeway from zero to probably 60km/h. I was just stopped 3 ft behind a van and released the break pedal with Auto hold on. A Volvo SUV just didn’t stop and rear ended the Outlander. We were pushed and damaged the front as well.

My wife and daughters said they hear tires squeaking. I didn’t hear anything.

Do you think the squeak is from the Volve try to stop (no ABS!)? Or from Outlander auto hold on?

BTW, The family feels/looks ok. But we are going to get check up just to make sure.
The Outlander is in the body shop recommended by dealer.

Thank you in advance,

Tai

I’m sure the repair shop will check the transmission for damage. Just feel lucky that the Mitsubishi seats are quite whiplash-proof.

Tai626 said:
BTW, The family feels/looks ok. But we are going to get check up just to make sure.

Hello fellow ute, oops :oops: ,truck driver. ;)

Morning tea time here at work so I do not have long to write this.

I hope everyone is ok. No one has a sore neck?

The only time, so far, I have been rear ended I was travelling in the back seat of a Taxi and getting rear ended that hard that I had a sore neck for awhile. The Taxi was unable to be driven at all from the damage it received. But the driver radioed another Taxi and we passengers continued on our journey.
Tai626 said:
My wife and daughters said they hear tires squeaking. I didn’t hear anything.

Do you think the squeak is from the Volve try to stop (no ABS!)? Or from Outlander auto hold on?

Tyres squeaking (squealing) can still be the ABS working ie if the brakes lock up the tyres the ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) then release or modulate the brakes to stop the skidding tyres and then reapply the brakes so a squealing noise may be heard from the tires as they skid for very short periods. I think your wife and daughters probably heard the Volvo trying to stop.
Tai626 said:
I was just stopped 3 ft behind a van...............

Now I will never stop so close to the car in front of me especially on the freeway or highway if I can avoid it. I have seen the aftermath of an accident where a large truck have smashed through cars that were sitting stationary. Was horrific to say the least.

I go to as much trouble as I can if I have to stop on the freeway (or anywhere) to be in the outside lanes, I hate the middle lanes where you are boxed in with cars either side, with at least as much distance between the car in front and myself to give me a escape route if I see something barrelling up behind me looking like it will not stop in time. ;)

Now another big no no for me is if turning across on coming traffic or doing a U-turn and are stopped waiting for a break in that on coming traffic never have your front wheels or even the car turned at a angle ready for the turn ie always have your wheels, car pointed straight ahead so in case you are rear ended by a vehicle behind you do not get shunted into the on coming traffic. My father's good friend lost a son to that particular circumstance.

Regards Trex.

All family just came back from doctor. Seems like the oldest one (me) got hurt the most. Left shoulder and neck are sore. And the ears are ringing...

And yes, I was in the middle lane no where to go even if I spot the non stopping car in the mirror. You would think that after 3 rear ended accidents, I would know how to avoid them. I probably go too fast and brake too hard!

I will have the shop to double check the transmission if the auto hold is damaged as well.

Someone know how much braking power is there in our auto hold? Tesla people is saying that it saves the pressure you last press the brake. So if you pressed hard before release, the auto hold would hold hard.

Tai

Back