ICE turning on while in EV mode with over 50% battery.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbryan

I was on the highway last night and I was just cruising along. Then I overtook a car and the ICE turned on to give extra power.

Once I passed the car I resumed my easy pace, however the ICE kept turning on then off then on then off the entire way home.

I tried pushing the ev button twice. I tried switching it to charge mode then back to EV mode. I tried changing it to save mode.
Nothing I did would get the engine to turn off and go back into EV mode even though I had 50% battery.
Is there something I can do in this situation?

Cbryan said:
I was on the highway last night and I was just cruising along. Then I overtook a car and the ICE turned on to give extra power.

Once I passed the car I resumed my easy pace, however the ICE kept turning on then off then on then off the entire way home.

I tried pushing the ev button twice. I tried switching it to charge mode then back to EV mode. I tried changing it to save mode.
Nothing I did would get the engine to turn off and go back into EV mode even though I had 50% battery.
Is there something I can do in this situation?

It never happen to me .. also because my old PHEV does not have the Ev button.

Possibly the best solution would be to stop the car and restart ... but it might not be an option on highway

I think that once the ICE kick in, it does want to run a bit for avoid to stop its operation while it is cold .. an ICE is better to be run for few minutes .. else to stop it when it is still not in temperature it might cause some damage if this engine is not start again for long time

If you think back carefully I pretty sure you'll find you last added fuel 90 days ago. Add 15 litres (about 3.5 gallons, depending which version of Imperial units you might use) and the ICE will stop running. The display would have given you the reason why the ICE started and you can toggle back through the history to find what it showed at the time.

This just happened to me yesterday - twice. I wasn't even going fast, nor overtaking, nor going uphill. Just flat road and then the ICE kicked in and I couldn't turn it off other than my turning off my car at a traffic light and restarting it. I had last filled the gas tank about two weeks ago. The first time it happened the battery was very freshly charged. The second time it still had about 50% left. I hope it doesn't do this all the time.

Back