How frequent is 'too frequent' CHAdeMo quick charging?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbasjm

We know frequent quick charging is bad for the battery, but what constitutes 'frequent'? I charge with Level 1 charger nightly; with Level 2 usually two-three times per week; and with Level 3 quick charger about once or maybe twice per week.

If you have to pay for the use, even once is too frequent. :mrgreen: These things go by the minute, not by the kWh, and the PHEV charges too slow to take advantage.

The major Chademo supplier on the UK's motorways charges by the kWh. Even at 30p, it's still cheaper than petrol here. And 20 minutes for 6kWh means an 18kW charge, which isn't far off the current Zoe's 22kW maximum

The manual says you should do a normal (ie 2.5-3.5kW AC) charge every 2 weeks if regularly using rapid charging, and never to top up to 100% on rapid charge (normally Chademo chargers cut off at 80% on the PHEV, if you restart it then it'll go to 100%).

It says 'repeated charging using only Chademo can reduce battery capacity' - so basically you can rapid charge as often as you like, but don't blame Mitsubishi if your battery degrades more quickly than expected. The BMU does not have the opportunity to balance the cells properly during a rapid charge because it's controlled by the DC charger itself rather than the car.

I would say that if you use Chademo once a week with normal 3.5kW most nights then you're not going to do any real harm. You can charge at 3.6kW as often as you like because it's the on board charger and BMU that control the process.

Thanks everyone!

@jaapv: where I live, there are many free CHAdeMO chargers, at least for now anyways. :D We'll see how long that lasts.

Thanks all !

mbasjm, where are you finding free chademo chargers? The only ones near me in the Fraser Valley cost $2 per charge, which is double what the home kwh rate is for the same charge, and pretty close to what the same km driven on gas would cost, so not really worth it to me.

richr said:
The manual says you should do a normal (ie 2.5-3.5kW AC) charge every 2 weeks if regularly using rapid charging, and never to top up to 100% on rapid charge (normally Chademo chargers cut off at 80% on the PHEV, if you restart it then it'll go to 100%).

It says 'repeated charging using only Chademo can reduce battery capacity' - so basically you can rapid charge as often as you like, but don't blame Mitsubishi if your battery degrades more quickly than expected. The BMU does not have the opportunity to balance the cells properly during a rapid charge because it's controlled by the DC charger itself rather than the car.

I would say that if you use Chademo once a week with normal 3.5kW most nights then you're not going to do any real harm. You can charge at 3.6kW as often as you like because it's the on board charger and BMU that control the process.

Well on chademo it’s still the on board charger and bmu that manages the charge, the car controls the chademo charger by requesting the charge current, you can see this get lower the closer to 100% it gets. I’ve also noticed (I use one at work quite often when I need a quick charge or when we’ve been testing) that the car never gets to 100% on chademo, it still only goes to 96% if you restart at 80%.
I’m not too worried about battery degradation though as I only have the car for three years then it’s someone else’s problem.

BCbackroader said:
mbasjm, where are you finding free chademo chargers? The only ones near me in the Fraser Valley cost $2 per charge, which is double what the home kwh rate is for the same charge, and pretty close to what the same km driven on gas would cost, so not really worth it to me.

Way East, in the Kootenays, there is a per minute charge. Don't recall what it is, but it makes the chademo useless to me.

BCbackroader said:

BCbackroader, many of the Real Canadian Superstores now have free CHAdeMO chargers. I know for certain that there are two in Coquitlam that have them, as well as Grandview Highway, Marine and Main, and Richmond and Richmond. Unfortunately none of the ones in Surrey except for the one way down near White Rock. Surrey City Hall has a free CHAdeMO charger as well and some of the gas stations are slowly starting to have chargers now - there's an Esso around 96th and 168th.

mbasjm said:
BCbackroader said:

BCbackroader, many of the Real Canadian Superstores now have free CHAdeMO chargers. I know for certain that there are two in Coquitlam that have them, as well as Grandview Highway, Marine and Main, and Richmond and Richmond. Unfortunately none of the ones in Surrey except for the one way down near White Rock. Surrey City Hall has a free CHAdeMO charger as well and some of the gas stations are slowly starting to have chargers now - there's an Esso around 96th and 168th.

Thanks for that info. All of those are 30 to 50km west of me, so not practical. I shop at the Superstore 2 km from my home in Abbotsford, but they don't have any chargers. The only chadmo near me are at Ecodairy on Sumas Way, and Langley Events Centre on 200th, and they both charge a $2 minimum. High Street Mall has free level 2 chargers, but the only time I'd be there long enough to take advantage would be to see a movie.

BCbackroader said:
mbasjm said:
BCbackroader said:
Thanks for that info. All of those are 30 to 50km west of me, so not practical. I shop at the Superstore 2 km from my home in Abbotsford, but they don't have any chargers. The only chadmo near me are at Ecodairy on Sumas Way, and Langley Events Centre on 200th, and they both charge a $2 minimum. High Street Mall has free level 2 chargers, but the only time I'd be there long enough to take advantage would be to see a movie.

Oh, hopefully the Superstore in Abbotsford gets a charger soon, that seems to be the trend they are heading towards. I believe the PetroCan near Castle Fun Park is also getting a CHAdeMO, and they are free for now, but I hear they are going to start charging for them.

Thanks again for your reply. The Superstore manager was out when I enquired at the info desk last evening, and the staff on duty had no info. I'll check out the PetroCan soon, as I drive by that exit daily.

I did stop at a woodwork shop on 200th today, and got a free 6 km charge while eating my lunch, but that's hardly worth the trouble.

Back