Lovin' it ! How's your gas mileage?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbasjm

I've had my Outlander PHEV for one month almost to the exact day, when I finally decided to fill my tank for the first time since the initial purchase. It was at 1800km and still had about a quarter tank remaining according to the gauge. My fillup was 29.27 litres.

Cra-azy ! How's your experience?

Isn't it great?!

Had mine for nearly 2 years and do lot's of long trips. On a recent 1,345km trip, averaged 6.8l/100km (41.5mpg (UK)). For last month, been doing lot's of 40km trips, all on EV. I filled the tank about 3 weeks ago and now approaching 300km without the engine turning over.

Glad you are enjoying the car and great to hear your excitement about EV driving!

Car rolls very well on B0 . D only in town ,I am now doing lot of coasting and getting 50mpg. Mine is 19 model.

Mine is probably worst case scenario for this vehicle, and I'm still happy to average 38 mpg (Imp gal). I can't overnight charge, as the strata council for my building won't allow it from common property outlets in the parkade, and I rarely charge at public charge points. In addition, 5 days a week, I drive 150 km per day, 100 of which is at 125kmh on the freeway.

My usual routine is to turn on charge as soon as I reach 100kmh on the highway, and turn it off when I exit. This gives me enough EV range at both ends of my trips to complete my urban deliveries in electric only. I'd dearly love to be able to home charge, to see how that would effect my average, but I'm not selling my home for the lack of an available outlet!

BCbackroader said:
Mine is probably worst case scenario for this vehicle, and I'm still happy to average 38 mpg (Imp gal). I can't overnight charge, as the strata council for my building won't allow it from common property outlets in the parkade, and I rarely charge at public charge points. In addition, 5 days a week, I drive 150 km per day, 100 of which is at 125kmh on the freeway.

My usual routine is to turn on charge as soon as I reach 100kmh on the highway, and turn it off when I exit. This gives me enough EV range at both ends of my trips to complete my urban deliveries in electric only. I'd dearly love to be able to home charge, to see how that would effect my average, but I'm not selling my home for the lack of an available outlet!

I often do long road trips (1300km in 2 days) without ability to charge and have tried different things to try and improve the mpg:

1. Along the motorway, switch to charge mode on uphill sections - leaving electric mode for downhill (with combo of B0 and / or ACC at set speed to regen) and relatively flat sections. Mine is a MY14 and so, when the needle touches the solid green line after 'Eco' on the power dial, I switch on charge (I know later models have a different dial configuration).

2. Monitoring PHEVWatchdog, I notice that in hybrid mode engine switches on when 10.1Ah is reached, and switches off at 10.6Ah - on the motorway at 90km/h, this gives approx 1km EV range. At 10.1Ah, I tried switching on Charge mode and leaving it until 11.1Ah. Got bored of this quite quickly though and didn't seem to make much difference!!

3. As above, I tend to drive at 90km/h on the motorway and fairly consistently achieve c. 43 mpg (imperial) over a 200 mile+ journey (although this typically starts from a 100% charged battery).

One thing I have noticed over these trips is that, up to a certain speed, switching the Charge button on consumes the same mpg (according the DOG) at around 27mpg. I have seen various discussions on here about the 'headroom' available from that engine output to drive the car versus putting energy into the battery.

Always so many variables, but certainly gives me something to do on the long trips!!

Kesto said:
Car rolls very well on B0 . D only in town ,I am now doing lot of coasting and getting 50mpg. Mine is 19 model.
As ever, you can coast in any 'B' setting. I always set mine to B5 and use throttle control to manage the coasting or slowing by regen. I'm not saying it's what you should do, just that it can easily be done.

I seem to be getting around 50mpg.
I keep a record of the miles completed using the battery by noting the guessometer reading after each full charge and assuming that it's correct (even though it usually drops by a mile in the first few yards).
I note the miles travelled in excess of the guessometer reading between recharges and top them up (these are the miles that must have been achieved using petrol). Divide that by all the petrol added to date and you get an overall mpg.
If you know a better way, let me know!

twosout said:
If you know a better way, let me know!

The better way is to use the PHEV Watchdog.
It will ignore the GOM and actually track how many km you drive in EV and how many on gas/petrol and how much gas you used.
I'm still tracking my gas on fuelly.com as you can see in my signature.
That site shows the wide range of consumption possible based on various use cases.

And besides the little gas usage, I'm lovin' my PHEV as an electric driven car! :cool:

I use the Watchdog, too, but pay little attention to individual mpg figures.
I have a spreadsheet to keep a record of every day's achievement (a little tiresome but more credible).
I note the cost of electricity consumed and fuel put in. There's always a bit in hand (not yet consumed) but I watch the cost per mile which, for me, is around 12p/mile. The actual cost varies according to the split between EV and ICE use. My EV use has been as high as 62% but is now hovering at 40% and will fall further as I about to undertake some long journeys without mains charging.
As an aside, my MY19 has never shown anything higher than 27 miles range. I was hoping for more during the Summer but am still waiting to get as high as 30 (or more).

It's such a versatile car - there are those people who aim to get the most distance on battery power alone, and those who aim to get most distance on least petrol. The two aren't quite the same (as you can't do pure EV if you're travelling any distance), but even without trying you can get really good economy from the combination of power sources.

I do think some people should stress less about things like battery degradation that may not have any real financial impact during the average life of the car and actually enjoy driving the thing :)

I bought mine for the technology.
If I'd wanted economy, a small conventional hatchback would be the answer. Maybe some are swayed by the claims of 130mpg (or whatever they boast nowadays).
It's a pleasant car to drive. Shame the acceleration from start is not maintained all the way to top speed, but I don't need a sports car. Wonder what the next model will bring...

twosout said:
Shame the acceleration from start is not maintained all the way to top speed, but I don't need a sports car. Wonder what the next model will bring...

But good enough for traffic light drag races in London - I blew away 5 guys in a BMW on Sunday who thought they could out accelerate grandad in his "mobility scooter". :lol: I was at 40mph by the time I got to the other side of the junction. :cool:

Here is my recent experience. I did 2 trips of 550 km each and got 7.5 and 7.6 L/100 km. I am pretty happy with that. I left on a full battery and in Save mode. Let the battery drain to zero at the end of the trip. Ran most of the way in D. (B turned off)

Back