Winter Tyres?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never fitted them on anything in my life - don't anticipate starting now

I'm hoping that the PHEV off road and ice performance is as good as I have read which means that I should be able to get about ok in winter, unlike my current BMW which is worse than useless.

I take it that the 4 x4 is only active on EV and EV + ICE but not on ICE alone?

Chrispyduck said:
I'm hoping that the PHEV off road and ice performance is as good as I have read which means that I should be able to get about ok in winter, unlike my current BMW which is worse than useless.

I take it that the 4 x4 is only active on EV and EV + ICE but not on ICE alone?
It is amazing. As for high speed aka ICE-only the car will still balance the drive by the rear wheels electrically.

I would hope that 4WD is active on ice. And snow, mud etc. ;)

I don't have my PHEV yet, so am still a bit ignorant, but in what circusmstance would there be no electric drive at all? Is there such a mode?

dmd said:

I don't have my PHEV yet, so am still a bit ignorant, but in what circusmstance would there be no electric drive at all? Is there such a mode?

Not at any speed that would be wise in conditions that need winter types, I think.

I live in Holland and I would imagine winter conditions are about the same as the Southeast of the UK.
I would not dream of driving on summer tyres in winter, have been using winter tyres since 1965. Not only snow and ice, which are rather rare nowadays , heavy rain (aqua planing) and general slippery conditions are far better handled by winter tyres, as the rubber is softer at low temperatures,
On top of that I could not drive legally in Germany.
After the initial outlay the cost of use are nil, as one can only wear down one set of tyres at a time.
Which is considerably less than the cost of skidding into something.
My dealer delivered the car on Hankook ones, which turned out to be far better than I expected.

dmd said:

No, it will always be active.

jaapv said:
I live in Holland and I would imagine winter conditions are about the same as the Southeast of the UK.
I would not dream of driving on summer tyres in winter, have been using winter tyres since 1965. Not only snow and ice, which are rather rare nowadays , heavy rain (aqua planing) and general slippery conditions are far better handled by winter tyres, as the rubber is softer at low temperatures,
On top of that I could not drive legally in Germany.
After the initial outlay the cost of use are nil, as one can only wear down one set of tyres at a time.
Which is considerably less than the cost of skidding into something.
My dealer delivered the car on Hankook ones, which turned out to be far better than I expected.

Until a few years ago I'd never used winter tyres in the UK; we typically only have a few weeks, if any at all, where snow and ice cause real problems. However, I work for a US company which a few years ago began to insist that all fleet cars are fitted with winter tyres for the cold months. It's no only the deeper tread that helps traction, but also the softer rubber at temperatures below about 8C, where summer tyres become harder and less efficient at braking. After struggling for years with a RWD BMW 520 in the snow, sometimes having to abandon it at the bottom of the hill on my estate, I must admit having the winter tyres fitted on the BMW for the last couple of years made an incredible difference. So many times in the winter of 2012/2013 I could happily get around to the amazement of everyone else who was stuck! Saying all that, I'm not sure I'd bother if I had to fund it out of my pocket, they're certainly not cheap. So I'm expecting the AWD PHEV on winter tyres to be pretty amazing in the snow and ice! Expect I'll be towing others out of trouble! ;)

jaapv said:
Hi,
That's not quite true.
1) My friend has to pay £10 per wheel in the UK to get his tyres swapped so £80 per year.
2) You assume you will sell the car when the winter tyres are about ready to be replaced anyway.
There is also the space to store the spare tyres all year round which while not a cost, is likely in inconvience for many.

I have considered them, but the storage space was the biggest problem for myself.

Kind regards,
Mark

Well, it is a bit cheaper than that. I just get the wheels out of the garage and swop them around...
I normally run a car for 150.000 to 200.000 Kms. That is about two sets of winter tyres and three of summer-maybe a bit less with these large wheels. And with a bit of luck ( not this time, but a few times before ) I could keep the winter wheels for the next car. This time I could not keep them and sold them for 500 Euro :)

Anyone with moderate or better driving ability shouldn't need winter tyres. The need for them on the PHEV should be even less.

If you don't have the ability to drive in the snow in 2wd, 4wd probably won't help you that much though.

Having lived in Southern Germany, with respect, this is fiddlesticks. Driving ability has nothing to do with traction and grip for braking. You wouldn't make it out of the drive, my friend, and if you did, you'd be pulled off the road by the Polizei...

I've seen clowns in 4wd getting stuck while people with common sense and a little ability cruise past effortlessly.....without either having winter tyres on.

david1972 said:
I've seen clowns in 4wd getting stuck while people with common sense and a little ability cruise past effortlessly.....without either having winter tyres on.
Sorry, wrong button ;)
Yeah - Usually they end up in a ditch with spinning wheels...

jaapv said:
Well, it is a bit cheaper than that. I just get the wheels out of the garage and swop them around...
Hi,
In that case you have the upfront cost of another set of wheels and what ever they depreciate by when you sell them. However, if you keep the car a long time, drive a lot of miles, especially in cold climates, then I would agree that the cost of winter tyres is money well spent.
Kind regards,
Mark

Anybody care to try this on summer tyres?
:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOTP9yrATX8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

jaapv said:
Anybody care to try this on summer tyres?
:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOTP9yrATX8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
And there was me expecting some interesting PHEV footage :(

Back