Wifi and Navigation in outlander 2014

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aukelien

Dear all,

As a new PHEV owner I have a bunch of questions that for the most part are answered in this forum or by google. There is 1 important issue (for me) that I can't find any answers to.

In about a week we will pick up our Outlander. It is the 2014 Business Edition without navigation. In my previous car (Renault Espace) I have navigation built in and I would really like to install navigation in some way in the Outlander. In my view there are 2 options:

1. replace the radio screen with an original screen that includes navigation and all car info.
2. replace the radio screen with an android screen that includes navigation and all sorts of apps

The problem with option 1 is that I have no idea where to find an original screen and if the connections are there to use all features.
The problem with option 2 is that I have no idea if the car has wifi (do all Outlanders have this?). I guess that without wifi I can't use the android system? Or does it work through my phone costing me data?

Can anybody help me with this?

Welcome to the club!

First of all, WiFi is only on the higher spec models - but that's irrelevant, as it's only used with the phone app to change settings and control the electric heating.

The most crucial question is do you want the nav built into the head unit, or are you okay with using your phone's, cast onto the head unit screen?

bbb

I prefer to have the nav built in, but if the only option is to use it from my phone than that will have to do.

It's certainly not the only option, but at least the maps stay up to date and you don't have to wire a GPS receiver down through the A-pillar.

I'd steer clear of the Android head units unless you're willing to spend big. They tend to be incredibly under-powered, sluggish and running KitKat or Marshmallow.

Personally, I have a Pioneer head unit with a wireless casting device plugged into the back. I get in the car and, when the BT connects, an app opens up that mirrors my phone screen onto the head unit and gives me full control from the touchscreen, as if I was using the phone directly.

Works flawlessly for me with the only sacrifice being the voice command button not working on the steering wheel - but I can just say "OK Google" and tell the phone who to ring directly.

Another option you may want to consider is a mounted tablet - this is the route I went.

While my car has the navigation built in, I found it out of date and very clunky so always used Waze or Google Maps on the phone. However, as I had an old iPad 2 that wasn't really being used, invested in an Arkon Floor Mount and "installed" the iPad! By loosening the passenger seat securing bolt nearest the centre console, this slips under the bolt, a retightening and it's secure. It then holds an iPad (or similar sized tablet) just above the drive selection stick but below the centre console buttons with very little movement and without compromising storage space.

The iPad I am using doesn't have its own sim card, so I just link it through my phone. I then connect the iPad to the car through Bluetooth for sound and often play music direct from the iPad.

For me, this gives a new lease of life to some old kit but - depending on your situation - investing in a new tablet and a mount will give you more flexibility for a similar / lower cost than a new head unit. Position wise it is, of course, a little lower than the current screen but allows you to do a lot more than a fixed unit, including catching up on all those YouTube videos while sat at a fast charger!

Just something else to consider.

Back