Hello

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloggsy

Greetings from Scotland everyone .

I am a new owner of a used 2015 (pre-facelift) model and currently living in Scotland.

I've had a bit of a lurk around the forum already and was previously a member of the Nissan X-Trail forum before I bought this car, and very impressed with the amount of knowledge available.

I'm still getting to grips with my first electric vehicle and I have lots of queries (most of which will likely be answered with some searching, I'm sure!), so I'll see you around the forum.

Cheers

Bloggsy

Hello from Wales

I'm thinking of buying at the moment but always second guessing myself. On paper should be a good choice my commute each day is 5 miles each way.

How do you find your car was it worth it

SySwan said:
Hello from Wales

I'm thinking of buying at the moment but always second guessing myself. On paper should be a good choice my commute each day is 5 miles each way.

How do you find your car was it worth it

Hi SySwan - I am loving it! My office changed and my commute was reduced to 10 minutes (door to door) so my last car was barely warm! Needless to say, it's very satisfying knowing that I get to and from work using electric alone - obviously, I am also waiting with anticipation to see me electric bill!!!

So far, so good and in my humble opinion I'd say go for it! I wish I did much sooner.

Cheers

Bloggsy

SySwan said:
It sounds like a good fit for you - you'd only need to charge every other day. I've just returned from a short break near Aberystwyth (Lledrod), and I didn't spot many charging points - do you have your own drive to park on, and is it within reach of a domestic 3-pin socket, or are you thinking of getting a charging point*?

* I don't have one and don't miss it - reducing charging time from 5 to 3½ hrs isn't enough of a benefit for me to justify the cost (someone else on the forum has just quoted £379 after the government incentive payment)

Hi Both,

Yes in theory I should be able to charge every other day. I have a drive/garage with plug socket close by. We moved about 18 months ago cutting my commute to 10 minutes (5 miles). I currently drive a Chevrolet Orlando diesel. In many ways an underrated car but it needs longer drives and it drinks diesel to keep the DPF clean, probably putting in £70 every two weeks with some other (not very long) trips on the weekends.

I have read the apx cost per charge is about a £1. I did look at the OLEV grant but I'll be charging overnight anyway so doesn't seem worth it for the difference. I let you know if I find a PHEV

cheers Sy

SySwan said:
Hi Both,

Yes in theory I should be able to charge every other day. I have a drive/garage with plug socket close by. We moved about 18 months ago cutting my commute to 10 minutes (5 miles). I currently drive a Chevrolet Orlando diesel. In many ways an underrated car but it needs longer drives and it drinks diesel to keep the DPF clean, probably putting in £70 every two weeks with some other (not very long) trips on the weekends.

I have read the apx cost per charge is about a £1. I did look at the OLEV grant but I'll be charging overnight anyway so doesn't seem worth it for the difference. I let you know if I find a PHEV

cheers Sy

Hi ChrisMiller - I am fortunate in that I have a drive with a garage at the end, which has a 3 pin socket, so when I park up, I plug my car in and leave it.

SySwan - you're in my situation. My last car was a diesel X-Trail and my commute was significantly reduced. My friend owns a garage and he advised me to add a fuel additive to help burn the diesel more efficiently considering it'll barely get to running temperature, and to take it for a long run at the weekends to 'empty' the DPF to minimise the chance of blockages. However, I was still getting the DPF light more often than usual - and usually, on my journey home so I ended up taking it for a run and not getting home for another hour because of the traffic congestion!

So far, apart from the drive back from the dealer in Aberdeen, I have not used any fuel and I've not got any plans right now to go anywhere further afield, so my fuel costs have significantly reduced as well!

Cheers

Bloggsy

Yes I have used no end on DPF cleaners (snake oil) in the tank. Even had a TEC4 engine clean back in March but still loads of active regens and a few times of spirited motorway driving with the dpf light on.

While many people seem to be able to use the 13A charger for ages without problems, there are a significant number of people who've had problems with it failing due to a poor connection internally. It doesn't take much resistance for a 10A current to provide significant heat. That's the same reason you shouldn't really use an extension lead.

We had a charger fitted when we bought our Zoe, as the 13A charger was an optional extra for it and it cost more than it would to have the charger fitted with OLEV grant. The best deal I've seen recently is £275 fitted. We used to use the 7kW charger for the Zoe and use the granny lead for the PHEV, but the plug started getting very hot during the heatwave last year. So we bought a type 1 to type 2 cable for £115 and now the PHEV charges during the day while the Zoe charges overnight. We have solar, so I've set the timer to charge when production is likely to be high so that we can get free miles, which is even cheaper than Octopus :mrgreen:

Back