Public EV Points/Cards/Cables

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highspen

Sorry if this has been covered already. I have ploughed through the hundreds of discussion strings and can not find any up-to-date data on this.

How many cards/accounts are needed to get a reasonable charge coverage for the UK and how many cables should I be carrying around?

Could members tell us which cards/accounts they use and what cables they need to carry.

Can I add another question. Are there any sites that tell you whether you need a cable (and if so which sort) to use a particular public charge point?

Hi,

I'll share my limited knowledge on this.

Most modern public charging points seem to use 16A chargers for which you will need to carry a Type1-Type2 cable which cost about £150 in the UK. This would allow a full charge in about 3 hours.

Some charging points also allow the use of the Mitsubishi suplied cable so about 5 hours for a full charge.

There are quite a few charge points at motorway service stations (and IKEA) operated by Ecotricity which not only seem to have the 16A option (for which you need to have purchased the cable) but also the fast charge points which you don't need a cable for as it is attached to the charge point. This charges to 80% in about 20 minutes or so but regular use will cause premature wear of your batteries. Ecotricity will supply a card for free and there is currently no cost to charge. They also say they are rolling these charge points out to more locations including A roads but I seem to recollect they were only using the rapid charge points for new sites.

You can use openchargemap.ord (also available as an app) to locate charge points and many of them also list who operates the point and what connecting options are available.

Some councils, for example in York, have supported the provision of charge points in their area for which you may need a card or an app and in York will charge £0.15p per KWh.

Kind regards,
Mark

PS Personally, I just got the Ecotricity card and expect to occasionally use the motorway service stations for a top up while stopping for the toilet but I regard this as novelty more than anything. For me it isn't woth the hassle of worrying about charging away from home for how often it will be used. It is a PHEV not a pure EV afterall.

Hi
It could be worth looking/asking at a more general 'EV' site (I usually use speakev.com). In my experience, there will be one card which is worth getting for your area - in Scotland (and the north east of England) it is CYC, but it differs from area to area. I have also recently downloaded the Polar Instant app, and used it for the first time this morning. Although the charge points are sometimes free, you are supposed to 'deposit' £20 in order to use this, but if you follow the instructions on a forum there, you can just deposit £5.... :D

avensys said:
Hi,

PS Personally, I just got the Ecotricity card and expect to occasionally use the motorway service stations for a top up while stopping for the toilet but I regard this as novelty more than anything. For me it isn't woth the hassle of worrying about charging away from home for how often it will be used. It is a PHEV not a pure EV afterall.

Did you also sign up for Ecotricity as your energy supplier to get their reduced EV car user tariff? And if not, why?

I've signed up (via the mobile app) to use CYC charging points. (and I also have a free Ecotricity card)
Just used a point at the Trafford centre (Manchester), which requires a type 1- type 2 cable.
Took a few minutes to get it to work, but it was all switched on and off via the app.
I padlock/chain my cable to the wheel so nobody steals it.

greendwarf said:
avensys said:
Hi,

PS Personally, I just got the Ecotricity card and expect to occasionally use the motorway service stations for a top up while stopping for the toilet but I regard this as novelty more than anything. For me it isn't worth the hassle of worrying about charging away from home for how often it will be used. It is a PHEV not a pure EV afterall.

Did you also sign up for Ecotricity as your energy supplier to get their reduced EV car user tariff? And if not, why?
Hi,
My existing supply is contracted until November so not time to swap yet anyway. I did price up Ecotricity when I ordered the card and found that they are significantly more expensive than other suppliers even with the EV car discount. Something around 10% more expensive as a rough idea. Although I am enviromentally aware, I'm unlikely to pay a premium for greener electricity in this case. I know, me bad...

Kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:
greendwarf said:
avensys said:
Hi,

PS Personally, I just got the Ecotricity card and expect to occasionally use the motorway service stations for a top up while stopping for the toilet but I regard this as novelty more than anything. For me it isn't worth the hassle of worrying about charging away from home for how often it will be used. It is a PHEV not a pure EV afterall.

Hi,
My existing supply is contracted until November so not time to swap yet anyway. I did price up Ecotricity when I ordered the card and found that they are significantly more expensive than other suppliers even with the EV car discount. Something around 10% more expensive as a rough idea. Although I am enviromentally aware, I'm unlikely to pay a premium for greener electricity in this case. I know, me bad...

Kind regards,
Mark

Thanks Mark - I see you're in Sheffield, so I better do my homework to see about tariffs in London.

First time using an Ecotricity charger

I had to undertake a long journey yesterday, so decided to use an Ecotricity charge point at motorway services, because I needed a food and drinks break to while away the 20 mins for a fast charge.

It was dark when it came to use the charge point, which led to some confusion as to which selector buttons corresponded to which options on the screen (there are marks that are obvious in daylight, but invisible at night :roll: ).

The next thing I found out was that by putting your car into start mode (to listen to the radio in comfort whilst munching your snack) it cancels the charge :cry: .

Finally, there were no instructions (that I could easily see) for disconnecting the charger plug (it latches in place, with two separate latches - one easy to find; one not :oops: ). Anyway, I think I have sussed it out now. My suggestion for first time users is to try it out in daylight :lol:

Oh, just remembered one more thing, there are two bays for each charge point, and charge cables on either side. However, only one cable will fit the PHEV, so you are only guaranteed a charge if the other bay is not occupied by a car that uses the same charger type.

As an aside, there were quite a few people stopping and staring (in a polite but curious way), so using these charge points at the moment is not for the shy! :lol:

Tyke said:
First time using an Ecotricity charger..edited quote...As an aside, there were quite a few people stopping and staring (in a polite but curious way), so using these charge points at the moment is not for the shy! :lol:

I'll echo that comment. At Fleet M3 services I first had to ask a diesel Range Rover to move out of the bay so I could use it, (the ecotricity bay is convenient to the main entrance and has floor paint marking, big "EV only" signposts and 6' high EV charge pod! Suspect he moved to a disabled bay next :roll: )

During 20 minute charge many, many watchers and 4 drivers came over to ask about the car. Its not the size of car they expect to see as an EV.

The Chademo (60A) fast charger really slams it in - and starts to slow down after 15 minutes so if you are in a rush you would get from empty (0% indicated in the car dash but actually 30% real battery remaining, see other posts) to about 75% full in 15 mins.

Tyke said:
First time using an Ecotricity charger
Finally, there were no instructions (that I could easily see) for disconnecting the charger plug (it latches in place, with two separate latches - one easy to find; one not :oops: ). Anyway, I think I have sussed it out now. My suggestion for first time users is to try it out in daylight :lol:

I found it was worth watching this youtube video first... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=317VrBDkBjg

Back