Should I buy ??

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryB

Hi All,

I have just registered on the forum but I have been 'lurking' since I had a test drive a couple of months ago.

At the time of the test drive I was informed that my annual mileage, around 25k, is a little high for the PHEV.

I currently own a Kia Sportage '4' 1.7crdi which I bought new in March, I know by selling the Sportage I will take a financial 'hit' but, now here is where I need the advice, will I be better off economically speaking if I was to get the PHEV.

My Sportage has just done 11k miles and is returning low 40's mpg. I get a fuel allowance for for diesel but the petrol allowance is around 5p/mile more (I do claim back the difference from HMRC at the end of each year :D ).

My office, when I attend, is only 16 miles, so that would easily be achievable in EV mode. Other journeys take me all over the country (no particular pattern, just where the current jobs are).

Reading the threads it is difficult to get true readings for economy but I am sure it will be better than my current low 40's mpg.
My current Blue tooth set up for hands free is ridiculous - the Non Sat Nav version was great; press a button on the steering wheel then say 'Call Bloggs, Joe' and the call was made, if two numbers were stored for that name you was given the option which to call - all totally hands free. Now you have to scroll through the pages of the phone book until the required name was visible then tap that name. A pain with a couple of hundred names in your phone book :shock: - especially the amount of time your eyes are off the road.

So the questions . . .
Is my expected annual mileage too high to go for a PHEV?
What is an 'expected MPG' I know this one is a tricky one?
Will I be 'out of pocket' with running expenses?
Is the PHEV bluetooth any better, surely it cannot be worse?

Sorry for the long post, hope I get some good answer so I can make the right decision, although it will probably be another 6 months before I buy again.
Ta in advance
ps, I have seen a white on on a small road a few hundred yards from where I live, just the once though.

Hi,

For your long motorway trips, allow 40mpg if you are a relaxed driver and cruise between 65-70mph, allow 32mpg if you cruise at 75-80mph.

You are unlikely to better the average consumption by much, if at all, of your current car unless the short trips you make increase. It will be the tax advantages that make it cheaper overall such as reduced BiK tax although since it sounds like you are a private purchaser this won't apply.

The hands free phone works exactly as you would like it to.

Since you have a good looking almost new car already, I doubt you can justify the change on cost grounds. If you like the PHEV and are prepared to take a financial hit then that is something only you can decide.

Kind regards,
Mark

One thing that might make a difference is whether there are onsite, or public charge points, at the places you visit and how long you stay there. It might be worth looking at some of the charge point maps to work this out.

I think that if you can get a charge point fitted at work, it may well be worth going for the PHEV. Don't expect to get a round trip (32 miles) out of a charge - in my experience it's more like 25 miles now, and in the winter it will be more like 20 (and I consider myself to have a fairly light right foot ;)
Can't help you with the bluetooth question I'm afraid, but in my experience of the MMCS, it is unlikely to be as good as what you already have :shock:

avensys said:
Hi,

For your long motorway trips, allow 40mpg if you are a relaxed driver and cruise between 65-70mph, allow 32mpg if you cruise at 75-80mph.

You are unlikely to better the average consumption by much, if at all, of your current car unless the short trips you make increase. It will be the tax advantages that make it cheaper overall such as reduced BiK tax although since it sounds like you are a private purchaser this won't apply.

The hands free phone works exactly as you would like it to.

Since you have a good looking almost new car already, I doubt you can justify the change on cost grounds. If you like the PHEV and are prepared to take a financial hit then that is something only you can decide.

Kind regards,
Mark
Mark,

Many thanks for your reply, it is a dilemma, some trips are short and the likelihood of these increasing is possible.
You are correct, although I get a company car allowance and mileage, I am a private purchaser so the BIK does not apply, unless I decide to join the company car scheme but I have yet to fine out if the PHEV is on the list - could be an option in the futureas I detest paying additional tax for a car that I would only be using for work.

Good news about the hands free :D

rgilyead said:
One thing that might make a difference is whether there are onsite, or public charge points, at the places you visit and how long you stay there. It might be worth looking at some of the charge point maps to work this out.

Some sites I visit could have charging points but it not something I could guarantee.

Such a pity there is not a diesel PHEV in this category.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Back