Towing and hill starts

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyra252

Hi

First trip out towing and a bit concerned about pulling up a really steep slip.

No problems on the 65mile trip to the marina using Save mode the whole way.

Engine worked hard, but seemed happy once reaching cruising speed. No problem launching, but got some funny looks reversing down slip with "no engine".

Come recovery time, it's important to remember that park is a mechanical lock, so careful not to let the car roll back against this, or it is very difficult to engage neutral/drive.

Once the boat was recovered and strapped to the trailer, it was all or nothing (Had spied a Defender in the carpark, so was ready to grovel!

Into D, moderate throttle, straight up, no problem!

The car tows exceptionally well, but is happier cruising than accelerating. Previous Espace 3.0DCI gave 24mpg.

PHEV 24mpg. Not too bad considering the weight and the very hilly terrrain. (Ayrshire)

Hope this is helpfull to any caravaners considering a PHEV.

Cheers

Chris

PS

Hope the photo works ok.

SAM_1398.jpg
http://s26.postimg.org/bosijvb21/SAM_1398.jpg

Sounds (and looks) good. Would have been galling to have had to ask for help!!! Out of interest, what does your boat+trailer weigh.

Cheers
H

Bit puzzled; the car has a two second rollback lock. Just release the foot brake and you have two seconds to push the accelerator.....So don't use park, but handbrake+N -->>foot brake+D-->> release foot brake (car won't roll back!) and drive off.

Still struggling to get a picture on the forum that's not a hyperlink.

Any ideas please?

Cheers

Chris

When the car's on the slip the handbrake holds, but allows a little creep (not me) that put's pressure on the park lock.

As you can't move either way until you dissengage the park lock, it could be quite sore on the mechanism to simply pull at it.

I found that holding the car on the footbrake, applying the handbrake hard, then allowing it to creep back before selecting park did the trick and resulted in no pressure on the park lock.

The boat weights 1400kgs ish and the slip is very steep.

Cheers

Chris.

Lyra252 said:
Still struggling to get a picture on the forum that's not a hyperlink.

Any ideas please?

Cheers

Chris

I PMed you. Upload your image to Photobucket.com. Click the img code, copy, and paste it into your post in this forum.

Thanks

I did that but I'm still able to link from the picture, is everyone else able to, or just me??

Cheers

Chris

Photo sorted for you. Click on image at the top when you're writing your post and put the hyperlink inbetween the 2 brackets.

Nice pic and lovely boat, when are we having a meet so we can all have a go :lol:

Back