Insurance costs

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayfdee

Just insured my PHEV for £148/annum,fully comp,8 years no claims. This was with Swinton,surprisingly I was with Swinton on my previous car,and when I phoned the local office I was quoted £256 to change to the new car.
After finding the Swinton online price,I went back to the local Swinton office and asked for the online price but they were unable to do it,but they did agree to a refund on my old insurance without penalty(should be £50),if I renewed on line.

A further twist when I tried to insure online the website would not accept the registration number,because it was not yet recognised,so I phoned their help line to insure the web price manually,and lo and behold the price went up by £20,I of course argued and got the original price,but it would appear that the insurers use a complicated algorithm and the price quoted in the evening is more than that quoted in the day time. I suspect they are trying to attract the pensioners.

Very pleased with the low insurance and zero excise duty,collect the Pearl White car tomorrow.

Yes, it's a pretty inexpensive car to insure. I pay way more than that, but that's because I have 2 inexperienced drivers on the policy. Still just a bit more than £400. I feared it'd be way more than that.

dukeinlondon said:
Yes, it's a pretty inexpensive car to insure. I pay way more than that, but that's because I have 2 inexperienced drivers on the policy. Still just a bit more than £400. I feared it'd be way more than that.

Although, I haven't had a formal quote yet, a quick check with meerkats gives me a similar figure to my current insurer LV (Tesco cheapest at £349) for my 2.0 GLS Avensis. What surprised me is that my current car is 16 years old - seems living in London counts for more than the age of the car :eek:

I just switched my car insurance (Aviva) from my Prius to the PHEV for the month remaining on the insurance contract. I think the change was cost neutral but they added a 'compulsory excess' of £250 to my voluntary excess of £150, making a total of £400 excess - which seems to me to be very high. When I queried it they suggested it was because it was a high value vehicle. Should I be shopping around next month when the policy comes up for renewal?

Poins
I would always shop around at renewal, even if to give you some bargaining power with your existing insurer. No excess increase when I swapped from my 12 year old polo - think it is £150.
Cheers
H

Back