Paint protection - is it worth it

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubbsy99

Looking forward to getting our phev late September. I have been considering getting a paint protection detail added to the car when we collect it. My question is are they worth doing? Looks like it will cost £250, not sure at the moment.

No. :lol:

My own personal view is that a lot of R&D has gone into producing a resilient paintwork finish, so it is not worth it from a protection point of view. It can impart a 'shine' on the paintwork, but I think you would be hard pressed to discern the difference between that and a waxed finish, particularly after the first drive on a wet road.

(I never buy the protection products that they try to foist on you when you buy a pair of shoes, so I might be biased ;) )

I use Autoglym bumper gel, its hard work polishing off, but lasts for ages. You will also need a really good chamois, or a microfibre cloth to dry it immediately after washing, as black shows up dried watermarks really badly. Looks amazing when done though. I had Gardex protection, but I think regularbuse of the gel is probably just as effective.

Cheers

Chris

I looked into this too and after reading a few car detailing forums, I would not touch it. Not so much a problem with the products themselves, but the monkeys who apply it often stuff up the paint they are trying to protect.

Kev.

My car had a Waxoil paint protection from new and is indeed free of blemish after nine months and 25000 km.
After reading all the complaints about soft and thin paint on the Dutch forum I tend to think that it was a good idea, even if I have a Titanium Grey one and White and Black appear to be the most affected.

Hi,
I asked my regular and very expert car valeter about this as I was also offered it for something like £300. He said he used to sell these but stopped as he felt he was ripping customers off. He says the product costs about £25 and they therefore get a huge markup. He said that having your car properly waxed a couple of times per year would be a far better way to spend the money. I trust his opinion so that's what I'm doing :)
Kind regards,
Mark

Tend to agree - and you can buy the same auto glym products in halfords and apply your self.
Although I would. Consider " venture shield " on the front bumper and bonnet to protect from stone chips. I have done this with three new bikes and the difference when coming to sell on Is well worth the outlay.

Back