High Mileage performance

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott481

Hi all, I am going to place an order this week for a GXH4s and would like some current owner feedback on long distance performance of the PHEV. I am selecting this car as my company car for the next 4 years.

I am completely sure this is the right choice for me, its comfortable well equipped and so much more practical/spacious than a BMW 3 series, let alone cheaper on the BIK tax.

The problem is this opinion is based on a 30 minute test drive, I would like confirmation that the PHEV continues to be the quite, comfortable and stable cruiser I think it is ??????

Thanks all very excited about the PHEV in black

Can't say I have done much mileage so far but it is quite a comfortable motorway cruiser. At 70 mph, you'd have to guess the gas engine is engaged and it is definitely very stable and in my limited experience showed no sensitivity to side winds. It's not sluggish when accelerating at these speeds although no performance car.

One thing I don't really have is mpg for long distance as I don't do much of it but I've read between 30 and 40 mpg is not an unreasonable expectation.

Hi
I am awaiting delivery of my GX4 and like yourself was wondering what the mpg would be like on longer journeys
I asked the question under the heading mpg in the technical section, which you may find of interest

Hi there. I have done 3.5K miles in mine including a trip to Germany and find it very quiet and comfortable, no problems as yet. We ordered ours after test driving the diesel for 10 minutes (and lots of internet research), and then drove the phev for about 20 minutes a week or two after ordering. This forum will tell you about most of the little irritations, but also that the majority of owners appear to be very happy with the car...

Cheers
H

For journeys outside the electric range, it is going to become a conventional relatively large 4x4 estate. Fuel economy will be dependent on your driving style - 40mpg achievable, but sub-30 mpg also achievable if you are a boy-racer!

I've done a quick test on this up the M40/M6 altough my prime use is urban. My thoughts -
1. It cruises comfortably between 80-90 (in the non-licence threatening zone!) which is where I tend to be. Acceleration is fine up to this - joining junctions etc.
2. However there isn't much poke beyond that for a safety margin. To be fair my two other cars are V8s and effortless at 100 mph+ so it depends what you are used to/ how you drive.
3. In the 80-90 zone, fuel consumption was consistently 31-32 mpg (with a fair load on board) which is precisely what you would expect from a heavyish but efficient SUV with a 2 litre petrol engine once the electric power has gone or in "save".
It was better than I expected and I would certainly use it for long drives accepting that it isn't optimised for it.

gobiman said:
I've done a quick test on this up the M40/M6 altough my prime use is urban. My thoughts -
1. It cruises comfortably between 80-90 (in the non-licence threatening zone!) which is where I tend to be. Acceleration is fine up to this - joining junctions etc.
2. However there isn't much poke beyond that for a safety margin. To be fair my two other cars are V8s and effortless at 100 mph+ so it depends what you are used to/ how you drive.
3. In the 80-90 zone, fuel consumption was consistently 31-32 mpg (with a fair load on board) which is precisely what you would expect from a heavyish but efficient SUV with a 2 litre petrol engine once the electric power has gone or in "save".
It was better than I expected and I would certainly use it for long drives accepting that it isn't optimised for it.

Hmmm, I never knowingly exceed the speed limit and always drive on cruise control - I'm hoping for better than 40mpg on long non-EV trips and an overall average of around 55mpge

55 mpg is rather optimistic. The car weighes nearly 1900 Kg without load and has the CX value of the average village church. 40 on the motorway is quite an achievement in its own right.

jaapv said:
55 mpg is rather optimistic. The car weighes nearly 1900 Kg without load and has the CX value of the average village church. 40 on the motorway is quite an achievement in its own right.

I said "mpge" - equivalent miles per gallon combining the petrol consumption with performance on electricity for shorter journeys.

scott481 said:
Hi all, I am going to place an order this week for a GXH4s and would like some current owner feedback on long distance performance of the PHEV. I am selecting this car as my company car for the next 4 years.

I am completely sure this is the right choice for me, its comfortable well equipped and so much more practical/spacious than a BMW 3 series, let alone cheaper on the BIK tax.

The problem is this opinion is based on a 30 minute test drive, I would like confirmation that the PHEV continues to be the quite, comfortable and stable cruiser I think it is ??????

Thanks all very excited about the PHEV in black

Welcome to the forum Scott.
I was in a similar position to you; decided to change from BMW 5 series to PHEV as company car for next four years, after a 30 min test drive and lots of reading; the 22% to 5% BIK reduction being the main reason. But after placing the order, I was lucky enough to organise a demo for a weekend, when I took a PHEV, fully loaded with family, dog, suitcases, etc., on a 300+ mile round trip to see friends and family. There were no charging opportunities once I'd left home, so after the first 30 miles I was averaging around 40 mpg, mostly 70 mph motorway on (adaptive) cruise control. My wife and I found the car very easy and pleasant to drive, we all found it very comfortable, even the dog seemed happy in the back! And the GX4Hs had plenty of toys to help those motorway miles fly by! So all good.....roll on Nov 4th!

maby said:
jaapv said:

I said "mpge" - equivalent miles per gallon combining the petrol consumption with performance on electricity for shorter journeys.

Well yes, but that depends entirely on the pattern of use. I get about 150 mpge, but that is because my work is about 28 km from my house, and I can charge both ends.

maby said:
jaapv said:

Well yes, but that depends entirely on the pattern of use. I get about 150 mpge, but that is because my work is about 28 km from my house, and I can charge both ends.

jaapv said:

Indeed! My use will consist of perhaps 40 miles in total during the week - most days I will not do more than two miles - plus about 160 miles each weekend - with no possibility of charging. My effective fuel consumption during the week will be very good, but the weekend trip will swamp it from the economy point of view.

Hi Gobiman,

I am hoping to use the PHEV silent mode when burgling houses or sneaking up on punters to mug them. After all, it's fine to break the law as long as you don't get caught, right?

I wouldn't recommend it for that - not fast enough!
Your understanding of crime is, like your grammar, rather poor.

Gobiman,

Thanks for setting me straight. I sincerely hope that, when you die, you don't take anyone else with you.

Stay safe.

I'll try not to! I've seen quite enough death in the army - albeit doing things rather riskier than 80 on a clear motorway in good conditions.
Point taken though and apologies for being flippant. Speeding is against the law and the faster you go, the more dangerous it is (exponentially!).

Thanks for the positive reply. I do get upset about speeding. I know too many friends and families that have been seriously affected by RTA's. I hope the PHEV will encourage people to drive with an eye on the mpg rather than the mph.

You make two good points-
1. I've seen as many deaths as a result the dreaded RTA (both military and civilian vehicles) as I have on ops. I would have to say that excessive speed was a factor in the majority of them. For many years (certainly in the days of BAOR) it was the biggest killer of soldiers by far (particularly motorbikes).
2. On a more positive note, the mpg vs mph point has merit. I have developed an irrational loathing of triggering the engine in the PHEV in town and keeping the fuel tank contents unused.

Hey OP

Right I am doing a rough 400 mile journey tomorrow with a 90% charge on electric (Grimsby>NEC>Brentford>Grimsby) so will report back (prob on wednesday when I am back up!)

I have a full tank of fuel, 20 miles on electric....I reckon I'll have about 1/5th of a tank of fuel left so it will be interesting!

Cheers

Back