Lockable charge socket?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPaul

After 2 attempts to get a charge point fitted its clear the job to get the electrics fit for purpose to take the extra power is bigger than I can really warrant due to the logistics of the fuse box position. As a result I'm going to have to use the supplied 3pin plug charger on an external power socket.

My main concern now is that the car will be charged on the front drive overnight and the cable could prove a tempting target for someone to walk off with. Has anyone found a good solution to securing the cable yet (not too keen on the parking on the cable idea I've seen some suggest). Would prefer a lockable socket point or similar? Anyone found a good solution for this?

Isn't there a small hole on the button to put a small padlock on?
I used a Nissan Leaf for 5 days last week and theirs has a lock button in the car that locks it electronically.

chindley said:
Isn't there a small hole on the button to put a small padlock on?
I used a Nissan Leaf for 5 days last week and theirs has a lock button in the car that locks it electronically.

Don't know. Get the car in 2 weeks time ;-) If anyone who has got the car can let me know.

Alternatively, Is there an exposed rear tow point on the back of the car under the rear bumper or is it one where you have to pop a cover off the bumper and screw something in? Was thinking you could put a fairly hefty padlock on the tow point and put the cable through it. You then wouldn't be able to get the cable off without cutting one or other the plug ends off (preferably you could fit the length between the charger box and the car connection through it if it's long enough?)

I think that you'll find that the plug which goes into the car has provision to insert a small padlock that will block the release trigger and effectively make it impossible to remove the cable.

I just padlock it around my wheel.

20140828_181416a.jpg

I had the same problem using public charge points with the supplied charge lead.

My solution was to have a new longer 15A AC cord wired into the supplied charging box. Not too difficult for an electrician. The full IP rating of the system is maintained and it still fits in the boot and there is no vulnerable join in the lead. I went for this method as I have seen a melted plug and socket when an extension cord was added.

Still waiting for the retro fitted induction plate recharger.

gwatpe said:
I ...

Still waiting for the retro fitted induction plate recharger.

Hmmm, make sure you've removed all coins and keys from your pockets before standing too near it!

Back