Will £5K Govt Grant for EVs Continue?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uptodat

According to Daily Telegraph Motoring Section, manufacturers think the money will run out....
The Govt Strategy document is a year old and promised £500M funding 2015-2020 with a target of having plug-ins reach 5% of all sales by 2020. Someone has calculated that would mean 120K vehicles a year which could cost £600M p/a - thus blowing a 5 year budget in one year.
Of course an election may change everything, but maybe folk should get Pheving sharpish - we've already seen the end of free charge points....

Pre-PHEV, EV sales were very slow. Last time I read anything about the issue, the scheme was being extended as quite a lot of money was left over. Personally we're hoping the scheme lasts at least another couple of years, at least until the new PHEV Shogun is out.

What I'd like to know is what happened to the proposed scheme to bring in a grant for charge points on business premises. I was informed a couple of months ago that once the domestic scheme ends, a separate scheme for small and medium sized businesses was going to be started. Anyone heard anything similar?

There's a heck of a lot of misinformation out there, OLEV's fractured and consistently changing policies don't seem to help either.

: Will £5K Govt Grant for EVs Continue?

If the 5k grant stops I suspect the retail price will drop by almost that amount to maintain sales. If you look at at Aussie prices they are less than UK without any grants on offer. However, I don't know what their vat rate on cars is. It means Mitsui is cashing in here!

It's inevitable that it will stop - the only question is when? In the grand scheme of things, the environmental impact of the EVs being sold is immeasurably small - the only interest that the government has is being seen to promote green policies - but only up to the point where it starts to cost inconvenient amounts of money.

Re work place charging
We as installers are waiting for olev's next chunk of funding. We have been advised that work place charging will be covered by it. It would help massively as every phev driver who wants one at work gets the price of fitting a unit, does the maths, then doesn't have it. Even if it's a cheap unit and it's a£1000 install, over three years they don't save this money from having it fitted. If that unit becomes half price then gives us more scope as installers to increase the infrastructure.
Regarding the whole funding from olev it's terribly short. Manufacturers and industry bodies are still putting their case to olev for funding and where to put it. At present to hit their targets every vehicle will get about £20 to help reduce up front costs - wow a whole £20!
When we hear anything be first to let you know.
Cheers

Please do. I've made enquiries to install charge points at work and some of the quotes have been completely ridiculous. It's just not cost effective.

I work in a shopping centre and enquired to the centre manager about them fitting charge points in the multistorey Carpark. He just laughed at me and said maybe in 5 years or so. :ugeek: I think all public carparks should have to fit chargers on a 1:500 spaces ratio just like they have to have so many disabled spaces.

Hi Chris, there isn't that much to add, I've contacted a manufacturer directly (Rolec) and they are saying around £350 for a wall box and when I've contacted installers they don't seem to want to know if I go about buying the wall box upfront and arrange them to install it.

As a guide price Mike we say the unit installed is about £1000 and these are basic units. Your right the numbers don't add up at present. We are doing one tomorrow for a client who is having a basic Rolec 3 pin socket that's over £700 by the time we have installed an earth pit and they only went for it as they have no charging available at home.
That grant comes in I'll give you a shout.
Cheers

Back