GX5hs In the U.S.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonBarbieri

I currently own a BMW i3 REx which is fabulous for my 100 mile drive but not good for long drives or AWD conditions so would love to see the GX5hs,that has many of the BMW features, in the United States soon. Any help anyone. Thanks

I'm with you. I test drove the i3, but it's too small for the family. Sadly, we're gonna have to wait a while:

http://ecomento.com/2014/12/09/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-still-coming-to-the-u-s-eventually/

Also, it'll be a very refreshed model, so don't look to Europe or Japan for insights on what trims are going to be available in the States.

As pkulak says, the US should be getting a refreshed version that will probably look like this:
mitsubishi-outlander-phev-concept-s-2014-paris-auto-show_100482270_m.jpg
2016-Mitsubishi-Outlander-PHEV.jpg

The different trims vary from country to country so I'm pretty positive the US will not be getting anything labeled as the "GX5hs" trim.

I've been waiting over two years for this car to come to the US. Of course if another AWD PHEV is released first then I could potentially get that instead. the Volvo XC90 T8 is nice but more car than I really need and no price has been announced for the US T8 yet. I don't think there's been any US price for the Audi Q7 PHEV announced either. I'm sure both will be priced a lot higher than the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.

Hopefully we'll be getting some choices this year or early next year!

Thanks Morrisonhiker...any approximate price range? FYI in my BMW i3, I love the cruise control that tracks. The cars ahead of me & automatically adjusts speed. Sounds like this model is adding peer group technology. Wish it would add all electric range also.

DonBarbieri said:
Thanks Morrisonhiker...any approximate price range? FYI in my BMW i3, I love the cruise control that tracks. The cars ahead of me & automatically adjusts speed. Sounds like this model is adding peer group technology. Wish it would add all electric range also.

Don,

I haven't heard any definite prices yet. In the UK, I hear the PHEV is nearly the same price as the diesel model. Hopefully that means it won't be a huge increase over the gas model that is offered for sale in the US. If I had to guess, I would say around $35 to $40k before the federal tax credit. Currently, the most expensive trim, the 2015 Outlander GT, lists for just over $28k. Since there's no diesel to compare it to, I would assume a markup of $5k to $10k for the PHEV version. Since the PHEV only has a 12 kilowatt hour battery, it would only get about $5419 of the $7500 tax credit [http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Plug-In-Electric-Vehicle-Credit-(IRC-30-and-IRC-30D)] but that effectively lowers the price by a pretty nice amount. Depending on what state you live in, you could get other tax credits as well. I think at this price, it would be a steal since it will be way cheaper than Volvo and Audi AWD PHEVs. Of course they are in a different class but the Outlander has many of the same bells and whistles and provides a lot of features missing from the Volt. Also, I think they would have to price it cheaper than the i3.

Like the i3, the Outlander offers Adaptive Cruise Control. I've used it on some long road trips in a friend's car and it was really nice. I was considering getting the new 2016 Volt to tide me over until the AWD Outlander PHEV gets to the States but when I heard it still doesn't have adaptive cruise control, I eliminated it from my short list.

I'll start some Google alerts on the other models you suggest. So any of them have more than 30 miles all electric options? I live in Washington State but lots of snow country in the mountains of Eastern Washington/Northern Idaho where we live so the AWD is really important. I get 70 miles all electric in my i3 and about the same added with the 2 gallon REx that charges the batteries when low. I hope, like Tesla, they all bring up the options for more range. In Washington we have sales tax exemption and hope it is extended this session in legislature. thanks for your posts!

I don't think those German PHEVs that are coming out really "get" it. They all have 6-speed transmissions, 7 kWh batteries and huge price tags. Why you would have a geared transmission is beyond me, and just proves that there's nothing "EV" about those cars: the engineers just slapped some batteries and motors next to existing drivetrains.

I considered the new Volt as well, but it's too damn small. The current one is like looking out of a tank and the new one looks no better.

What-oh, American fellows! Hearty Limey greetings from lil ol' U of K. I do hope you've been reading what happens when the weather turns chilly over these parts? 30 miles on EV is pretty much out of the question, I'm afraid. Once the eleccy heater comes on and the headlights, heated seats, wipers and all the other gubbins associated with keeping warm, EV range takes a nose-dive. Still a great car, for the most part, as far as I'm concerned. Of course, I don't know what your weather patterns are - as far as we know you all enjoy endless sunshine! Or is that only in the movies? :D

Regulo said:
What-oh, American fellows! Hearty Limey greetings from lil ol' U of K. I do hope you've been reading what happens when the weather turns chilly over these parts? 30 miles on EV is pretty much out of the question, I'm afraid. Once the eleccy heater comes on and the headlights, heated seats, wipers and all the other gubbins associated with keeping warm, EV range takes a nose-dive. Still a great car, for the most part, as far as I'm concerned. Of course, I don't know what your weather patterns are - as far as we know you all enjoy endless sunshine! Or is that only in the movies? :D

Hopefully the version released in the U.S.will address many of the known shortcomings. If not, it will still get 20 to 30 miles more on electricity than any other awd phev here (since there are no other models to choose from). I know the future will bring even better choices but for now, we have no options.

In Colorado , we get more than 300 days of sunshine a year. That's more than Miami or San Diego. Of course we get some monster snowfalls too. The good thing is it can be freezing one day with snow and then shorts weather the next day.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest, which is a notoriously mild climate. But even so, you'd be amazed what you can accomplish by pre-conditioning. I turn my Leaf's heater on 15 minutes before I leave when it's cold. By the time I hop in, everything's warm and the heater barely has to run from then on.

The Outlander doesn't have a heat pump, and only has a 3.3 kW charger, which doesn't help, but still: worst case you use some gas. Oh well!

Yes, pre-heating does solve a lot of the range problem in the cold. Even if I only need 10 mins of pre-heat, I put mine on for the max (30 mins), and it interrupts when I open the door to get in. That way, if I get delayed on my way out, the car hasn't got cold again! Hope you've got solar panels! BTW, I'm not sure the US styling is to my taste, I prefer the more rounded lines of the European versions, but I suppose none of us get to choose what style is offered in our respective markets.

DonBarbieri said:
Thanks Morrisonhiker...any approximate price range?
Here is my guess. Both the US and Australia sell an AWD petrol engine Outlander with roughly the same features, so those current prices can be directly compared today.
"AUS 4x4" MSRP = $36,490
"USA S-AWC" MSRP = $26,195

We see the USA price is 71.8% of the AUS price. So if we take 71.8% of the PHEV model, we would get the following USA price:
AUS PHEV MSRP = $47,490
USA PHEV MRSP = $34,092

Australia has a more upscale "PHEV Aspire" model. Assuming the USA gets a similar upgraded package, and using the same 71.8% formula we get:
AUS PHEV Aspire MSRP = $52,490
USA PHEV (GT?) MRSP = $37,680

So my wild guess is $34,000 base price PHEV and $37,680 PHEV with "GT" package. Not counting Federal tax credit. Mitsubishi has stated their goal of slightly beating the Volt's MSRP in every market, so this is right in line with that.

morrisonhiker said:
Since the PHEV only has a 12 kilowatt hour battery, it would only get about $5419 of the $7500 tax credit [http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Plug-In-Electric-Vehicle-Credit-(IRC-30-and-IRC-30D)] but that effectively lowers the price by a pretty nice amount.
I frequently see three different US Federal tax rebate amounts mentioned in relation to the Outlander PHEV: $7500, $5836, and $5419. Assuming the refreshed US model has the same capacity battery pack as is currently used (12kWh), then: $7500 is obviously wrong and just wishful thinking, $5836 I believe to be correct, and $5419 I believe leaves out the "middle" part of the IRS formula. Here's the IRS quote from IRC-30D and my math (I bolded the part I think people leave out):

IRS tax code IRC-30D said:
For vehicles acquired after December 31, 2009, the credit is equal to $2,500 plus, for a vehicle which draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least 5 kilowatt hours of capacity, $417, plus an additional $417 for each kilowatt hour of battery capacity in excess of 5 kilowatt hours.
$2500 base credit for the vehicle itself
+$417 "plus, for a vehicle which draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least 5 kilowatt hours of capacity, $417"
+$417x(12-5) "plus an additional $417 for each kilowatt hour in excess of 5"

Total: $5836

DonBarbieri said:
In Washington we have sales tax exemption and hope it is extended this session in legislature.
The Washington State sales tax exemption only covers vehicles that are exclusively driven by alternative energy and therefore it will not apply to the Outlander PHEV, just as it does not apply to the Chevy Volt. See http://dor.wa.gov/content/getaformorpublication/publicationbysubject/taxtopics/electricvehicles.aspx.

ActionableMango said:
$2500 base credit for the vehicle itself
+$417 "plus, for a vehicle which draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least 5 kilowatt hours of capacity, $417"
+$417x(12-5) "plus an additional $417 for each kilowatt hour in excess of 5"

Total: $5836

After re-reading the legalese, I would have to agree with you that it would be $5836. That's even better than I was expecting. Thanks for pointing that out!

BTW, it looks like they've updated the link: http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Plug-In-Electric-Vehicle-Credit-IRC-30-and-IRC-30D

Back