Extension lead

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duetto

We have the home charge point, the onboard charge lead to too short when visiting relatives to plug in I was thinking of a small extension lead for heavy duty use I could use.

does anyone know spec i should look for and the fuse for the plug.

Anyone else got round this scenario. not keen to use a standard extension lead as I do not think it would cope and overheat.

I've used a standard extension cable. If just plugging into a 13a socket it's fine if suitably rated. I think the current draw is just under 10a. Just make sure you don't use a reel one that's not been unwound.

What type is the charge point? Standard Mennekes or household 3-pin?
For the first you can purchase a longer cable, for the second you can use a 13A rated extension lead.

i took the charge lead from the boot to several electrical trade centre's all said they could supply same lead, same 3pin plug and a weather proof junction box to make the join from the two leads safe if it rained. All check the spec on the lead and the fuse amp and could see no problem as long as lead not coiled when in use.

cost with a 15m lead, 3pin plug, weatherbox, £50 including vat.

I bought a cheapo 5m 10A extension lead, about £6 I think. Used it 10-15 times with no issue. Just make sure it is fully unwound so it doesn't overheat.

Kind regards,
Mark

B&Q sell waterproof extension leads. The 15m 13A one is about £30. Works fine for me.

Ray

I've been using a(unwound!) 10m extension lead since I got my PHEV in December. No issues so far :mrgreen:

going to test mine tomorrow when battery is run down for a full charge, with all the hiils round hear really enjoy the b5 going down hill and seeing the battery go up a segment instead of down [payback time I call it]

Back