Warning! avoid giraffes in your PHEV!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 816

Got a really annoying problem. Since we went to the wildlife park and fed the giraffes through the sunroof the cars refinement has been spoilt.

Lots of giraffe food pellets got spilt in the PHEV and although I have valeted the car fully I think some of them have gone somewhere unreachable, possibly in the sills via the seatbelt mount holes, I really don't know.

But every time I accelerate or break there is a surprisingly long noise like a pebble tumbling against metal up and down the car length although its really hard to tell exactly where. In a car this quiet its really annoying!

jaapv said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Get a ferret to hoover them up :mrgreen:

:lol:

Good plan but giraffes are vegetarian so the pellets are vegetable. Ferrets are carnivores so wouldn't be interested in them.

Time for a MacGyver moment and create a very long, slim vacuum pipe?

Thanks for the tip , will make sure I avoid that one :lol:
That would drive me mad and would probably result in me pulling the car apart to get rid of them :roll:

Fill the car completely full to steering wheel height with water from a hose over a few hours.

The pellets will either dissolve or float to the top.

Then when you open the doors they will simply get carried out of the car.

simonrh said:
Fill the car completely full to steering wheel height with water from a hose over a few hours.

ah thanks.. I knew someone from Mitsubishi Technical Support would be along shortly! ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

reminds me of pranks from years ago, take off a wheel hub put in two pennies put hub back, produced similar sound used to do it to new drivers back in work days in 70's.

simonrh said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Giraffe's are innocent... free the giraffes!! its a travesty of justice!

Pulled trim apart, its like the underworld under there, loads of cavities under the actual floor you can see. The culprit was a chocolate egg dropped by one of the kids during the day out and had somehow gone into the huge cavity underneath. Test drive confirmed no more rattle and trim all back in as it was.

Also realised I had not checked the tyre pressures since getting it 5000 miles ago. They were all too high and quite unbalanced. I adjusted them and in my mind the car was a shade more comfortable and less twitchy. Reset the TPMS of course.

t9v0aq.jpg

outofyorkshire said:
Well Done .....kids eh :roll:
Hope the trim goes back OK and doesn't now rattle :lol:

Thanks, problem with PHEV is at low speed you can hear every sound.

I stopped to ask a couple of old boys for directions to a house earlier, still enjoy the novelty of sliding away and I heard through the open window one of them exclaim to the other 'Blimey thats things quiet!' yup.

Back